Can't decide if I should us XP or VX Ace /:

Started by Zephor, August 06, 2012, 11:02:51 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Zephor

Recently lost all the work I put into a game (was roughly half way done). I heard VX Ace is actually pretty awesome, but I've only ever used XP. I'm also attached to the larger character sprites..

What would some of you recommend?

ForeverZer0

Being that this forum is largely dedicated to XP, I imagine the answers you get here will be a bit biased.
VXA does have some obvious advantages, such as Ruby 1.9.3, and smoother gameplay, I still choose XP any day.

Although XP is much older, it still has the greatest support, and is not as "dummied down" as its newer counterparts. I could go on, but I fear simply sounding like an XP fanboy. The best thing to do would be to simply try out VXA, and see how you like it. If you decide that you like XP better, simple switch engines.
I am done scripting for RMXP. I will likely not offer support for even my own scripts anymore, but feel free to ask on the forum, there are plenty of other talented scripters that can help you.

Zephor

As much as I love XP and it's support, VX Ace just looks so much nicer... /: ugh this is tough.

G_G

Try it out both engines. Make a quick, short 5-10 minute project and see which engine makes it easier to create the game. See what kind of complications you run into using both engines. By that time, you'll figure out which engine is easier to work with or which one suits your needs more.

Zephor

I've been trying out Ace for a few hours now and so far love it. I just hope it gets a lot of support..

ThallionDarkshine

I have the same problem with the charsets. I just love the rmxp size too much to use the smaller charsets. You could probably convert all of the RMXP sprites to the 3 row format, but i just feel more comfortable with xp. I've just used it for so long.

Heretic86

Bit of advice.  Just about anything you can do in VX or Ace, you can do also in XP.  There are some things you can do in XP that you cant do in VX, such as having unlimited size of tilesets.  To me, VX and above like it took away more than it gave.  So yes, that is a biased opinion toward XP, however, I encourage and support you to make your own decision.
Current Scripts:
Heretic's Moving Platforms

Current Demos:
Collection of Art and 100% Compatible Scripts

(Script Demos are all still available in the Collection link above.  I lost some individual demos due to a server crash.)

azdesign

August 29, 2012, 08:08:34 am #7 Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 08:18:35 am by azdesign
 8) Everyone has different tastes, even the obvious advantages/disadvantages couldn't win against one's own subjective. Here I list down everything I love and hate in XP, and what VX/Ace has, maybe can help you decide :

1. I love XP tilesets and charsets, I hate VX/Ace dwarfed tilesets and charsets (This is the main reason Why I'd go with XP. I wanna play RPG, not bomberman  :P)

2. XP is using obsolete, slow engine while VX/Ace has newer, faster engine. VX/Ace has more features while many scripters claims that VX/Ace has dropped several must-have features. To take a note here : Features can be achieved by using custom scripts. And here, has the biggest XP script resources database. An example, the RMX-OS introduces online multiplayer capability. Who ever thought playing RPG Maker games online was possible.

3. For serious mappers, VX/VXAce has major disadvantage (my opinion).
   A) Automatic Layers in VX/Ace = serious mappers hates them while casual mappers loves their easiness.
   B) I Like VX/Ace shadowing tool. I was hoping someone can make map shadowing script for XP
   C) VERY limited creativity while mapping VX/Ace Map. Not advertising, just give you an example of one good XP mapping : http://forum.chaos-project.com/index.php/topic,11546.0.html, that is XP mapping looks like. In short, XP graphics by nature has successfully deliver the atmosphere; VX/Ace = sandbox map, I can't feel the "map", my humble opinion despite them having better color quality and depth.

I'm not XP fanboy, prior from using XP for more than 4 months until now, I've been using VX for more than 6 months, only for fun. Gave me basic understanding of making games using RPG Maker. In the end, after many consideration, I chose XP. Dunno this help, just share my thoughts :D
~ Check out my deviantart http://my-az-design.deviantart.com/ ~

Memor-X

VX/VXA has some features in it that that XP doesn't which i would love to use like using 2 animation sets and how facesets are standard use (so you don't need a new script tp pull off) but XP has a bit more flexibility in it, and of cause, most graphics used in VX/VXA can be used in XP aswell, the battlers, the animationsets (even though you can only use 1, still trying to find an easy way to duplicate VX's animations in XP), the icons (you need to do some work getting them into seperate images........should really upload that to the resource database sometime after i also do the Samurai icons)

anyway, why are we even talking which is better, XP or VX/VXA, everyone known once ARCed is out VX/VXA will have no chance cause every event command they have and is not in XP will be able to be coded into ARCed not to mention any new event commands people build plugins for (i assume that's another thing you can build plugins for) and any improvements to the engine VX/VXA have over XP (or any other new RPG Maker) will be blown away by ForeverZer0's engine (i think it's his, it does has his name in it) and any improvements he makes to it

i'd say start with XP to learn the basics then move onto ARCed when it comes out (even grab it when the Beta comes out for it), but that's just me

ForeverZer0

No, its not my engine, I merely came up with the name before it became a team effort. ARC is equally Blizzard, Ryex, and myself's.
Blizzard did > 99% of the engine coding, while Ryex and I do the editor.
I am done scripting for RMXP. I will likely not offer support for even my own scripts anymore, but feel free to ask on the forum, there are plenty of other talented scripters that can help you.

Blizzard

Oh the irony. We might actually rename the engine to avoid the confusion. Possibly (and boringly) ARC engine or something like that.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Memor-X

August 30, 2012, 09:55:29 pm #11 Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 10:04:25 pm by Memor-X
Quote from: Blizzard on August 30, 2012, 03:17:50 am
Oh the irony. We might actually rename the engine to avoid the confusion. Possibly (and boringly) ARC engine or something like that.

the engine is the Zer0 RGSS which is talked about here http://forum.chaos-project.com/index.php/topic,10474.0.html right?, if that's the case why not name it ARC's Ruby Scripting Engine, ARSE........... :facepalm:

Blizzard

That's already reserved for ARC Scripting System, ASS. ._.;
The actually engine is Zer0 Division, Zer0 RGSS is the RGSS rewrite.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.