[RESOLVED] Wanted: Command Line Audio Converter

Started by ForeverZer0, August 13, 2012, 10:38:49 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ForeverZer0

August 13, 2012, 10:38:49 pm Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 03:53:29 pm by ForeverZer0
I have been searching for the past two nights for a command line tool that can do the following:

• Read .wma, .mp3, .wav

• Convert above formats to .ogg

Now, this would not seem like to hard of a thing, but apparently it is. It also has to meet the following requirements:

• Windows (there are a few good ones for Linux, but none I can find for Windows)

• Offers the above formats and abilities without codecs needing installed on host machine

• Free

The most promising I could find is Sound eXchange. It has the ability to process the above formats, but not out of the bag. I can't for the life of me seem to get ogg support working it.

Its getting rather frustrating actually. I am not even asking that it has MIDI support, which is the usual deal-breaker when it comes to audio libraries. No, my problem is finding a library with good OGG support, which is a patent-free, open-source, widely spread, and popular format. Linux seems to have all these to themselves...

EDIT:
Forgot to mention, ffmpeg was looking good too, but once again, the OGG support without having an installed codec was stopping me. I found a few builds that could read it, but not encode to it.
I am done scripting for RMXP. I will likely not offer support for even my own scripts anymore, but feel free to ask on the forum, there are plenty of other talented scripters that can help you.

Ryex

Winff, true it's a GUI but it installs it's own build of FFmpeg that can do everything you need.
I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

Blizzard

Why exactly does it have to be a command line tool?
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

ForeverZer0

August 14, 2012, 02:49:25 pm #3 Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 03:53:00 pm by ForeverZer0
@Ryex:
Thanks, will look into.

@Blizz:
It actually doesn't HAVE to be a command line program, a DLL with the same functions would work, but I am aiming for simplicity. I don't want a GUI, it is part of a another simple program I was making. I could use a dll with the same function I suppose, as long it is well documented for what functions/arguments its looking for, but I was hoping to avoid the extra work of wrapping the methods (I'm using C#). This was supposed to be a two or three day project, not something I am trying to get too involved in, so I was aiming for something I can just launch from the command line easily and pass arguments to.

EDIT:
@Ryex:
I love you, I found a build that is perfect.
I also hate you finding it so quickly. :V:
I am done scripting for RMXP. I will likely not offer support for even my own scripts anymore, but feel free to ask on the forum, there are plenty of other talented scripters that can help you.

Ryex

I'v known about winff for ages, I'v even talked about it on here a few times :P
I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />