First attempt in FL Studio (Gerudo Valley remake)

Started by winkio, August 15, 2012, 05:11:21 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

winkio

So this is actually about a month old, but I finally decided to post it.  It is the first piece I have made in FL Studio, so it doesn't sound anywhere near what I want.  All the instruments were made using 3xOsc, so don't expect too much.  Additionally, it was all made by ear, so some of the notes might be off (point them out if you hear them).  Still, I think I did a fairly decent job, and kept the rhythms and colors of the original intact.  Feedback of any sort is appreciated.

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B-gvBNVSPC2xQjRjVjY5UDBtbVU

Blizzard

August 15, 2012, 06:18:48 pm #1 Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 06:19:57 pm by Blizzard
The beginning is a bit weird, but the rest is pretty decent for a first try. I prefer chaining a few TS404 instead of a 3xOsc, you get a much cleaner sound from that. Cleaner sounds are kinda easier to work with since they are so raw. I'm pretty sure 3xOsc uses some kinda of pre-filter. A raw sound from TS404 and a raw sound from 3xOsc sound significantly different.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

winkio

I just spent a few minutes messing around with TS404, and I like the cleaner sound.  What do you mean by chaining a few of them together?

Blizzard

Set up a few TS404. e.g. Give one a higher sound, one a different sound on a lower octave and add another one with a detuned sound (just mess around with the settings) and maybe some additional filtering (you have cut, envelope and resonance). Also, change each TS404's pitch fine tuning (right next to where you set the waveform's global pitch). You'll be surprised.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

AliveDrive

It sounds much better than my first FL song.

sytrus <3
Quote from: Blizzard on September 09, 2011, 02:26:33 am
The permanent solution for your problem would be to stop hanging out with stupid people.

MarkHest

Kind of a lazy remix imo. The melody is exactly like the original but with different instruments (pretty unfitting ones at that).
However, since it's your first FL Studio song i'm going to let this one slide and say good job  :haha:

winkio

It's meant to be a remake, not a remix.  My goal was to learn how to use the interface and synths within FL, not to learn or practice musical composition.  Those instruments were the closest I was able to get with single 3xOsc synths for each part and no other effects.  I think the biggest things I learned are how to build waveforms by mixing the three oscillators and using envelope control to adjust the timbre.  Thanks for the feedback though :)