Is Morrowind still a good game?

Started by SBR*, August 23, 2012, 06:40:38 am

Previous topic - Next topic

SBR*

August 23, 2012, 06:40:38 am Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 06:57:20 am by SBR*
I'd like to play an Elder Scrolls game, but I don't have a good computer yet, so I can play either Morrowind or Oblivion. In terms of graphics, I heard you can use texture packs, so the graphics are supposedly equally good. Now, I heard some people say Oblivion's combat system and quests are quite simple and boring (always the same enemies and bland quests that 4 year olds can understand), while some other people say Morrowind's combat system is quite dull. Are any of these statements true?

Also, I heard Oblivion on Steam has some really big issues with Vista or W7. Is this really the case or are people exaggerating and if it is the case, does Morrowind have the same problem - the biggest web shop in Holland doesn't have new copies of Morrowind, so I would have to buy it from somebody else.

EDIT: I found this amazing texture pack: http://www.ornitocopter.net/. I guess I'll give Morrowind a try, then :).

ForeverZer0

I have never played either, Skyrim was the first of the series I tried, so I can't be very insightful here...

Have you tried Skyrim on your current PC? From what I remember, it doesn't require near the computer power many other games do. My labtop is powerful, but not THAT powerful, and ran it perfect without even noticing. Many other games I have played it can use full graphics, but the fans on the GPU are constantly running hard, and you can notice that it is taxing the PC a bit.

I am not suggesting not to play Morrowind, but I would at try and play Skyrim, you might be surprised and your PC can run it fine, maybe with just some graphic adjustments.
I am done scripting for RMXP. I will likely not offer support for even my own scripts anymore, but feel free to ask on the forum, there are plenty of other talented scripters that can help you.

Blizzard

I used to run Oblivion on my old laptop, but then I took an arrow to my knee.
No, seriously, Oblivion on my old laptop (CPU Intel Dual-Core 1.72 GHz; GFC: nVidia, forgot the model, but it had 256 MB VRAM) was running a bit sluggish, especially if I turned on HDR lighting. Apart from that the game was running quite well. (My laptop's GFX card died 2 years ago.) Morrowind will run great on a new computer. The new texture pack may only require that you have some more VRAM (I played Morrowind on a GeForce GT4 MX440 with 64 MB without problems). If you have 256 MB+, I don't think you'll have any problems.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

SBR*

Quote from: ForeverZer0 on August 23, 2012, 10:59:44 pm
I have never played either, Skyrim was the first of the series I tried, so I can't be very insightful here...

Have you tried Skyrim on your current PC? From what I remember, it doesn't require near the computer power many other games do. My labtop is powerful, but not THAT powerful, and ran it perfect without even noticing. Many other games I have played it can use full graphics, but the fans on the GPU are constantly running hard, and you can notice that it is taxing the PC a bit.

I am not suggesting not to play Morrowind, but I would at try and play Skyrim, you might be surprised and your PC can run it fine, maybe with just some graphic adjustments.

My friend tried it for me on my PC, as I didn't want the intro and story to be spoiled, and he said the game was really laggy. My PC is quite old (specs:
Processor: AMD Athlon 7750 Black Edition Kuma 65nm Technology
RAM: 4.0 GB  282 MHz
GFX: ATI Radeon HD 4300 Series (MSI)
). I have no idea if this is good or bad, but I have experienced trouble with a lot of games.

Quote from: Blizzard on August 24, 2012, 02:12:50 am
I used to run Oblivion on my old laptop, but then I took an arrow to my knee.
No, seriously, Oblivion on my old laptop (CPU Intel Dual-Core 1.72 GHz; GFC: nVidia, forgot the model, but it had 256 MB VRAM) was running a bit sluggish, especially if I turned on HDR lighting. Apart from that the game was running quite well. (My laptop's GFX card died 2 years ago.) Morrowind will run great on a new computer. The new texture pack may only require that you have some more VRAM (I played Morrowind on a GeForce GT4 MX440 with 64 MB without problems). If you have 256 MB+, I don't think you'll have any problems.

I have read lots of people saying that this texture pack modpack requires a really good PC, as it runs the graphics over the original graphics.

In any case, I decided to go with Oblivion to be on the safe side, and when I have a better PC, I'll play Skyrim and then Morrowind. After all, they're all good games, graphics aside.

Vell

In my personal experience, they're all over-hyped and don't hold up in the extended play they're meant to. I only got about 40 hours on my character in Skyrim before just cutting it and being bored entirely. Considering I A) Never beat the actual storyline B) Completed every major faction to its fruition and found every questline lacking something and C) Played it for less than a third of the time it was supposed to keep me interested, I'd say I'm glad I didn't spend money on it and got to use Sally's copy. That said, I go back it every now and then get an hour or so out of it before getting bored, so it's got longevity in that way.

Plus given its extremely open-ended nature, one could theoretically add personal things to it to make it more fun. A close friend of mine and myself who only know each-other long distance are interested in making a backstory for a character and keeping a literal "diary" of that character's exploits in the realm of Skyrim after discovering he was the Dragonborn. We'd each play him for a while and then write that "day's" entry in the diary, which we'd keep with the game at all times. :P It sounds like a way to immerse yourself more, which the very easily-broken nature of the game tends to fail to do on its own.

In line with that last comment, the game loses points from me in immersion for not really succeeding at any emotion other than "blood-charged" on a regular basis. A moment that's supposed to be suspenseful only becomes a bore because the build up just drops about 10 minutes before you reach it and the scene itself drops the ball in the way it's written.

The scene I'm talking about, heavy spoilers: ShowHide
In the Dark Brotherhood questline where you assassinate the emperor you have this nice long questline leading up to your killing of a fake emperor and the subsequent discovery and putting-to-the-sword of your Sanctuary which is really heated and gets you going for the success. It even culminates in the destruction of the sanctuary itself and the death of all but two of your comrades. Immediately after this climactic scene you're pulled out to the new Sanctuary and suddenly your remaining allies are like "whatever, it's done we failed" but you apparently say  "no I'll do it, just watch" and then you launch a solo mission to kill the emperor on his boat out of skyrim.

The guard who screws you over is there and killable as a bonus objective that doesn't really earn you anything new. Plus, there's no emotion to this scene. The music playing is the generic music for the area and he doesn't even put up much of a fight - I took him out in three swings of my axes and after I took all his gear I went into the boat and waddled around poke-killing the guards with arrows if I had to but normally I used daggers. Then you reach the emperor himself.

The point behind this scene is well-done I think. This is a man who accepts his doom and laments that he was a fucking crappy shit-dirty dumbass on the throne and how he effectively screwed his own kingdom over by handing it to Fantastically Racist elves. Then he asks you to do him a favor and kill the fucktart who hired you to kill him anyway - which you can and which I did and it's all really the same either way the guy has nothing extra on his person I mean like wow. However, it falls flat. The music is bland and it would be better silent, the voice acting on the guy doesn't do the emotion full justice though it's alright, but something about the entire scene just feels MEH.

And then you have to take up the entire reward money to upgrade your new Sanctuary and buy new recruits. Of which there are like, three. They're nameless and can serve as allies if you want them to. They kind of suck though like all allies they're essentially a portable bank to carry all your worthless junk. And then that's it - you can take out randomly generated people by talking to the mother person and get small rewards for it but eh.

Also, the best scene in the entire game is the chase with Cicero in the new Sanctuary before you officially move in. It's just excellent.

Memor-X

Quote from: SBR* on August 23, 2012, 06:40:38 am
I heard some people say Oblivion's combat system and quests are quite simple and boring (always the same enemies and bland quests that 4 year olds can understand), while some other people say Morrowind's combat system is quite dull.

in Morrowind, when you start off with a Long Sword skill of 30-40 (depending on how you created your character), you will hit your target and deal every like every 1 in every 7 hits, the first little cave where a bunch of smugglers are in there is a mage who will kill you in 2 shots unless you use a potion every time he attacks and with your miss rate so high, you just have to be lucky, this cave is supposed to be easy but that one guy makes it hard, the same with every other weapon skill including Marksman (Bows and Arrows), you don't start getting good connected attacks untill about level 60 with that skill and since you can't build up a skill unless it hits you either need to be rich, grind a hell lot or get a lot of potions and good armour

In Oblivion, even with your skills starting off at a lower level than what they do in Morrowind (i think it's 20), every attack will hit, good for Bows since in Morrowind if you wanted to focus on building your Marksman you would be wasting a sh*t load of arrows and thus money (unless you got the Belmora expansion in which case you can save some money by making your own) plus also you have to use your shield to gain anything on Block unlike in Morrowind where the block would automatically activate, ofcause in Morrowind, you have more skills you select to build up and level up from, it's roughly half in Oblivion

in terms of questing, well it all depends on the mods and expansions you got, Oblivion seems to have quite a few good Mod quests but some of the stock side quests kinda suck, alot of the main quests i didn't like, the only 3 i did like was when you infiltrate the Mythic Dawn base, when you get the Great Sigil Stone and when you go into Cameron's Paradise, ofcause the expansion main quest was fun, funny at some parts to ("Will it work? Ofcause it will, Something has to!", "I once filled a pit with clouds, or was it clowns, the point it that didn't stop the Graymarch, it justs started to smell after a while, that's it! it was clowns, clouds don't smell")

For Morrowind, i can't find any good Mod quests but there is a truck load of stock ones, downside is that if your doing the main quest and stop doing it before you go to get the Ring of Moon-and-Star, after like a month or 3 in the game all the characters will jump the main quest right to where you visit Vivec which skips all the work you do to be named Neravarine and Hartator, i may be wrong cause i was using an old version, it may have been fixed, also i gave up on the expansions when i got to the point in Tribunal where i had to get Neravar's sword but to do that i had to get it from this woman who would give it to me if i brought a bunch of rare crap i rather horde myself, and the only thief art i know is murdering people who live alone and looting the entire house of stuff and pawning it all in

the main system for Morrowind was a bit patchy, the original release of it didn't have a quest log so if you was in the middle of a quest and you got a journal entry for another one, that entry may get lost after a few more quests and also there was no enemy health bars, Oblivion had these but what was bad about it was the fact that every town on the map was avaliable and you could quick travel to them so at the start of the game, insted of hiking from the capital to the Priory you could fast travel to Correl then walk down the road, in Morrowind, if you want to go back to that Ashlander camp in the north you would have to use the travel survice to get to Genisis or Molag Bal and walk the rest of the way, sometimes i would use the set player->speed 999999999999 and tgm to zoom there and reset the 2 back when i got there just because it was so much of a pain

i prefer Oblivion out of the 2 mainly because of the Belda Asylum mod which gives you this 4 story mansion, an ruins in it's court yard and there is so much to the mansion, the view was beautiful, reminds me of the estate in my dream, if i could mod i would mod C.C, Nunnally, Rin, Ilya, Syoko, Ati and Kia all in there living with me and even add what they normally if they did live there like Rin turning the ruins in her magic lab, C.C walking around with no pants, Syoko cleaning up any mess ect.

In terms of graphics, I heard you can use texture packs, so the graphics are supposedly equally good

i think i asked here or on yahoo answers but there was a graphics overhaul in Morrowind making it on par to Oblivion but the mod itself was a few GB from what i heard and i can't seem to find it anymore but Morrowind does have good graphics with the Better Bodies and Better Heads mods

NOTE: i apologies for if i spelled places and people wrong

As for Skyrim, i tend to play it for a bit before getting board, there's no really good estates apart from that one in Windhelm and that's a pain to get, would rather a nice huge estate like the one i have in Oblivion and have it close to Whiterun cause that's like the first major city your going to visit.....more or less, then again i haven't checked for the latest mods in ages, also the map is kinda buggy when you try and use it to see which places you've cleared, there was a dragon nest south of windhelm which a bounty was place on the dragon there, i killed it but i never went into the nest and the map was saying it was clear, lucky i went to check it out anyway and found the word of power, also, there may be vampires to fight but you can't become one in Skyrim unless you play it on a X-Box 260 and even then it's not stock like it was in Oblivion and Morrowind

the things i see Skyrim has over Oblivion is that the skill building system is a hell lot better cause then i can start off as a swordsman and then switch to a spellsword later if i wanted to cause you don't go choosing major skills, every skill is equal, the dungeons are another thing going for it, good variety of them with a nice mix of puzzles, most are just the same thing but those dragon claw ones was a bitch before i figured it out (nice use of the inventory system)

ForeverZer0

Quote from: Memor-X on August 27, 2012, 01:12:01 am
...also, there may be vampires to fight but you can't become one in Skyrim unless you play it on a X-Box 260 and even then it's not stock like it was in Oblivion and Morrowind

I only played the PC version, and you could become a vampire.
Also, where can I get an X-Box 260? :V:
I am done scripting for RMXP. I will likely not offer support for even my own scripts anymore, but feel free to ask on the forum, there are plenty of other talented scripters that can help you.

SBR*

Spoiler: ShowHide
I heard some people say Oblivion's combat system and quests are quite simple and boring (always the same enemies and bland quests that 4 year olds can understand), while some other people say Morrowind's combat system is quite dull.

in Morrowind, when you start off with a Long Sword skill of 30-40 (depending on how you created your character), you will hit your target and deal every like every 1 in every 7 hits, the first little cave where a bunch of smugglers are in there is a mage who will kill you in 2 shots unless you use a potion every time he attacks and with your miss rate so high, you just have to be lucky, this cave is supposed to be easy but that one guy makes it hard, the same with every other weapon skill including Marksman (Bows and Arrows), you don't start getting good connected attacks untill about level 60 with that skill and since you can't build up a skill unless it hits you either need to be rich, grind a hell lot or get a lot of potions and good armour

In Oblivion, even with your skills starting off at a lower level than what they do in Morrowind (i think it's 20), every attack will hit, good for Bows since in Morrowind if you wanted to focus on building your Marksman you would be wasting a sh*t load of arrows and thus money (unless you got the Belmora expansion in which case you can save some money by making your own) plus also you have to use your shield to gain anything on Block unlike in Morrowind where the block would automatically activate, ofcause in Morrowind, you have more skills you select to build up and level up from, it's roughly half in Oblivion

in terms of questing, well it all depends on the mods and expansions you got, Oblivion seems to have quite a few good Mod quests but some of the stock side quests kinda suck, alot of the main quests i didn't like, the only 3 i did like was when you infiltrate the Mythic Dawn base, when you get the Great Sigil Stone and when you go into Cameron's Paradise, ofcause the expansion main quest was fun, funny at some parts to ("Will it work? Ofcause it will, Something has to!", "I once filled a pit with clouds, or was it clowns, the point it that didn't stop the Graymarch, it justs started to smell after a while, that's it! it was clowns, clouds don't smell")

For Morrowind, i can't find any good Mod quests but there is a truck load of stock ones, downside is that if your doing the main quest and stop doing it before you go to get the Ring of Moon-and-Star, after like a month or 3 in the game all the characters will jump the main quest right to where you visit Vivec which skips all the work you do to be named Neravarine and Hartator, i may be wrong cause i was using an old version, it may have been fixed, also i gave up on the expansions when i got to the point in Tribunal where i had to get Neravar's sword but to do that i had to get it from this woman who would give it to me if i brought a bunch of rare crap i rather horde myself, and the only thief art i know is murdering people who live alone and looting the entire house of stuff and pawning it all in

the main system for Morrowind was a bit patchy, the original release of it didn't have a quest log so if you was in the middle of a quest and you got a journal entry for another one, that entry may get lost after a few more quests and also there was no enemy health bars, Oblivion had these but what was bad about it was the fact that every town on the map was avaliable and you could quick travel to them so at the start of the game, insted of hiking from the capital to the Priory you could fast travel to Correl then walk down the road, in Morrowind, if you want to go back to that Ashlander camp in the north you would have to use the travel survice to get to Genisis or Molag Bal and walk the rest of the way, sometimes i would use the set player->speed 999999999999 and tgm to zoom there and reset the 2 back when i got there just because it was so much of a pain

i prefer Oblivion out of the 2 mainly because of the Belda Asylum mod which gives you this 4 story mansion, an ruins in it's court yard and there is so much to the mansion, the view was beautiful, reminds me of the estate in my dream, if i could mod i would mod C.C, Nunnally, Rin, Ilya, Syoko, Ati and Kia all in there living with me and even add what they normally if they did live there like Rin turning the ruins in her magic lab, C.C walking around with no pants, Syoko cleaning up any mess ect.

In terms of graphics, I heard you can use texture packs, so the graphics are supposedly equally good

i think i asked here or on yahoo answers but there was a graphics overhaul in Morrowind making it on par to Oblivion but the mod itself was a few GB from what i heard and i can't seem to find it anymore but Morrowind does have good graphics with the Better Bodies and Better Heads mods

NOTE: i apologies for if i spelled places and people wrong

As for Skyrim, i tend to play it for a bit before getting board, there's no really good estates apart from that one in Windhelm and that's a pain to get, would rather a nice huge estate like the one i have in Oblivion and have it close to Whiterun cause that's like the first major city your going to visit.....more or less, then again i haven't checked for the latest mods in ages, also the map is kinda buggy when you try and use it to see which places you've cleared, there was a dragon nest south of windhelm which a bounty was place on the dragon there, i killed it but i never went into the nest and the map was saying it was clear, lucky i went to check it out anyway and found the word of power, also, there may be vampires to fight but you can't become one in Skyrim unless you play it on a X-Box 260 and even then it's not stock like it was in Oblivion and Morrowind

the things i see Skyrim has over Oblivion is that the skill building system is a hell lot better cause then i can start off as a swordsman and then switch to a spellsword later if i wanted to cause you don't go choosing major skills, every skill is equal, the dungeons are another thing going for it, good variety of them with a nice mix of puzzles, most are just the same thing but those dragon claw ones was a bitch before i figured it out (nice use of the inventory system)

Thanks :). You mean this Graphics Overhaul: http://www.ornitocopter.net/? I had that one in the first post :P.

Anyway, I've played a few hours of Oblivion and I have to say that, although I think the game is really cool, it's hard to really get into. But that will undoubtedly happen eventually.

Memor-X

Quote from: ForeverZer0 on August 27, 2012, 02:38:09 am
...also, there may be vampires to fight but you can't become one in Skyrim unless you play it on a X-Box 260 and even then it's not stock like it was in Oblivion and Morrowind

I only played the PC version, and you could become a vampire.

so the expansion was released on the PC? i heard it had only been released on the 360 and no date had been set for PC or PS3, though i don't care for the PS3 release date........unless there is a stock side quest that gets you to become a vampire, i fought plenty and i never contracted that condition which turns you into one after a few days

Blizzard

The easiest way to become a vampire is to put on some really good armor and maybe something that may regenerate your health over time. Then find a vampire and let it attack you until you contract a disease from it (just don't die in the process). If you don't cure the disease, after 3 days you will become a vampire yourself.

Though, if I remember right, once you cure vampirism, you become immune.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Vell

You don't, you only become immune if you are immune to disease. In Dawnguard there's ways to become and not become a vampire pretty much at will or something, and your talents pass over between one time and the next.