(RPG Maker XP) How to stop window choices from being cut off?

Started by birubidubii, August 30, 2012, 03:57:18 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

birubidubii

Hello! I have tried looking up solutions for this before but maybe I missed it, so I'm sorry if this is seems like a silly or redundant topic.
Basically, when I try to add another choice to a window, it gets cut off. For example:

I would prefer that it would look like this instead of being cut off

This also happens outside of battle, when using the regular "show choice" event. If I put four choices, the fourth one is cut off.
I'm assuming I must have changed something somewhere when I originally started this project, but I'm not sure what, so I don't really want to play around in script editor since I might make things worse.
I don't really have any custom script systems added so I don't think it has to do with that.

Any help is appreciated! Again, sorry if this topic seems silly aha...

Blizzard

You can change the window's height after you have create the window itself. If you take a close look at your first screenshot, you will notice that the window actually stretches out of the screen. In this particular case of 4 choices, each being 32 pixel high and 32 additional pixels for the border, setting the window height to 160 should do the trick.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

G_G

For the battle choice window thing, what you need to do in order to fix that is change the height of the window.
@command_window.height = 160

AS for your issue with the choice getting cut off in the "Show Choices" event command, perhaps you changed your font/size. That's my only guess on why it's doing that.

EDIT: DAMMIT BLIZZARD. THIS WAS MY TIME TO SHINE. >:U

Blizzard

Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

birubidubii

Wow thanks so much to both of you! It worked for the battle command window :D

Changing the font size to fix the show choices error didn't work though...

This is actually what's happening... Even with smaller fonts, the window doesn't stretch or move down to show the fourth choice. The cursor just moves down and you can't even see the fourth choice so you wouldn't know what you'd be picking.

I'm thinking maybe if there is a way to increase the size of only the current window on screen (here it would be the 'show choices' window), I can just use that to show all four choices for that moment, and then return back to the regular sizes in normal 'show text' windows...I'm not sure if that's achievable though.

Thanks again for help with the battle window I really appreciate it!

stripe103

Just to be sure, if you didn't change it anyway, I would revert Window_Selecable and/or Window_Command to the original.
You might have accidentally changed the code that resizes the window according to the amount of choices somehow.
Worth a try.

I gotta get back into RMXP. I've forgot so much.

birubidubii

Alright, I went snooping around and I found that I had changed Window_Message
since I originally didnt want the windows taking up so much space I changed what something under "  # * Object Initialization"
from
   super(80, 304, 480, 160)
to
   super(80, 304, 480, 120)

i also changed something under opacity/window position

from
Spoiler: ShowHide

def reset_window
    if $game_temp.in_battle
      self.y = 16
    else
      case $game_system.message_position
      when 0  # up
        self.y = 16
      when 1  # middle
        self.y = 160
      when 2  # down
        self.y = 304
      end
    end
    if $game_system.message_frame == 0
      self.opacity = 255
    else
      self.opacity = 0
    end
    self.back_opacity = 160
  end

to

Spoiler: ShowHide

def reset_window
    if $game_temp.in_battle
      self.y = 16
    else
      case $game_system.message_position
      when 0  # up
        self.y = 16
      when 1  # middle
        self.y = 160
      when 2  # down
        self.y = 350
      end
    end
    if $game_system.message_frame == 0
      self.opacity = 255
    else
      self.opacity = 0
    end
    self.back_opacity = 255
  end

I checked the rest and nothing else seems to be changed in this area.
If I change it, my problem with the choices being cut off will be solved, but if I change it then my window will go back to being too high and big for my liking. Is there something here that I can change so that the size and position stays, but the choices work too? Or maybe another place I can change my window size and position that isn't here so I won't mess up the choice thing?

stripe103

Making the windows smaller isn't just about size because most windows (what I remember) does not take the actual window size into account and simply uses static values.
So if you want to do that you would probably need to change all positions and sizes in each window script manually.

Or you could just use a Custom Message System.