Live Production of Princess Mononoke

Started by G_G, September 25, 2012, 09:36:29 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

G_G

If any of you are fan of Studio Ghibli films (Howl's Moving Castle, Princess Mononoke, My Neighbor Totoro, etc...), this might fascinate you. I myself am a huge fan. I ran across this interesting article, Ghibli licensed a theatre group in London to do a live performance of Princess Mononoke. This was announced back in July of this year and the actual production won't take place until April of next year. The entire production sold out within 72 hours. I thought that was pretty amazing.

More on it:
http://www.slashfilm.com/official-stage-adaptation-of-princess-mononoke-coming-to-london-sold-out-almost-a-year-in-advance/

Thoughts on this? Do you think a live performance of an animated movie will work out alright? I never imagined any of Ghibli's films to work out as live action, but I guess we'll see.

R.A.V.S.O

I dunno I got mixed feelings about this... most live action nowadays is hit or miss...
I mean I CAN visualize how the humanoid characters would look like and it would be ok and all..
but when it comes to forest cutscenes, animations and special effects you either improve as a result or
die a horrible horrible crash (*cough* DB:Evolution & The Last Airbender *cough*)

either way I AM a fan of studio ghibli... those movies were really well made so if there ever was a plan
on making them live action they'd better not mess it up with the transition,

btw... this reminded me a bit of the (thankfully) cancelled warner bro's live action on Akira.
so yeah... hit or miss.
Personality Test results
Spoiler: ShowHide

"Life is unfair, so make it unfair in your favor" -Sesilou

G_G

It's not going to be a live action movie, it's a being produced as a play. I get where you're coming from, but you can't be all that critical as far as effects go when it comes to theatre. But nonetheless, I'm curious to see how this is going to turn out.

Memor-X

is it going to show up in the US, i hope not so that way the yanks that finally understand how painful it is to want something from overseas and having to work overly hard to get it, ofcause i don't know how the hell people overseas will be able to see it without going to it themselves

R.A.V.S.O

Quote from: gameus on September 26, 2012, 08:30:51 pm
It's not going to be a live action movie, it's a being produced as a play. I get where you're coming from, but you can't be all that critical as far as effects go when it comes to theatre. But nonetheless, I'm curious to see how this is going to turn out.

a play? well that changes almost everything.... yeah you´re right it´s a lot more passable when it comes to a play...
but if this ever became a live action movie it would really need to step it up a notch or 2... but yeah a play would be rather interesting to watch.
Personality Test results
Spoiler: ShowHide

"Life is unfair, so make it unfair in your favor" -Sesilou