[XP] Question about playing skill animations on map

Started by RoseSkye, October 01, 2012, 12:09:20 am

Previous topic - Next topic

RoseSkye

I guess this is a better place to ask the questions.
I want to play battle animations for the map without placing an event. This may be a bit hard to understand, but I want to play it on the map coords by itself. Something like a lightning strike or something. Can someone help me with the script call required to do it?

In this battle [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9DLhrfdYIE&;]
I'm trying to make it so rocks fall on random locations so the player wont just camp and button mash.

RoseSkye

Memor-X

just a question, i get what you want to try and do, with battle systems like Blizz-ABS we designers/developers need to get the player to move around the battle rather than camp and spam all the time but how are you going to make the animations hurt the player, at the moment it just seems psychological, the player wont start avoiding the rocks until they get hurt once or if they learn that the rocks are just cosmetic they will ignore them and return to the camping/spamming

RoseSkye

KK20

Curious as to why it can't be used via events. Animations require the instance of an RPG::Sprite--exactly what events/characters use. Without using an event, you're forced to create a temporary instance of an RPG::Sprite to play one animation, while somehow updating it through the Scene_Map, and then keeping track of its own variables to compare with the player's (and other battlers if so desired) and... *rambles on*

I'm pretty sure intuitive use of game variables can make this possible with events.

Other Projects
RPG Maker XP Ace  Upgrade RMXP to RMVXA performance!
XPA Tilemap  Tilemap rewrite with many features, including custom resolution!

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: 8310-1917-5318
Discord: KK20 Tyler#8901

Join the CP Discord Server!

RoseSkye

Quote from: KK20 on October 02, 2012, 12:28:25 am
Curious as to why it can't be used via events. Animations require the instance of an RPG::Sprite--exactly what events/characters use. Without using an event, you're forced to create a temporary instance of an RPG::Sprite to play one animation, while somehow updating it through the Scene_Map, and then keeping track of its own variables to compare with the player's (and other battlers if so desired) and... *rambles on*

I'm pretty sure intuitive use of game variables can make this possible with events.

Because I am already using a fuckton of events, variables and  switches. It gets confusing after using 100 of variables/ switches.

Zexion

Why not make 1 event, call it "random ass rocks" or whatever. Make the event have no charset, and a parallel process every so many frames move to a random x and y coord, and play the animation on itself, and if the it's touching the player, inflict damage.

I don't know if you'd be okay with just 1 event or you really just don't want any at all, because I really don't think that this 1 event would cause much lag.

KK20

I'd just like to say that what Zexion proposed is pretty much how I would do it. Scripting it would be unnecessarily tedious. It's only one more event. TOUGH IT OUT LIKE A MAN :V:

Other Projects
RPG Maker XP Ace  Upgrade RMXP to RMVXA performance!
XPA Tilemap  Tilemap rewrite with many features, including custom resolution!

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: 8310-1917-5318
Discord: KK20 Tyler#8901

Join the CP Discord Server!