Origin

Started by Blizzard, October 15, 2012, 03:31:20 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Blizzard

October 15, 2012, 03:31:20 pm Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 12:33:23 pm by Blizzard
FINALLY I HAVE A CONCEPT FOR THIS SONG!

Blizzard Borealis - Origin (Concept Demo)

This song will be (finally) created from a project that has spawned many other projects and which has served as my testing ground for quite a time. That's why it deserves the name Origin.

EDIT:

I've been working on this today and I partially went away from the previous concept. But the new one is pretty awesome. :3 I still have a lot to do and the structure still needs to be overworked a lot (especially the transitions in the second half).

Blizzard Borealis - Origin (W.I.P. Demo)

EDIT:

HURR HURR HURR, it's done. More or less.

Blizzard Borealis - Origin (Pre-Final)

If anybody can offer any feedback on what I could still fix/improve, feel free to post.

EDIT:

I did a little bit of extra mastering (particular detuning of some sounds, volume adjustment and some extra reverb). I oriented myself a bit at what winkio said about broken string instruments. It sounds less detuned now. In any case, this is the final product. Get it while you can, because I am going to delete it from the server soon.

Blizzard Borealis - Origin
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

G_G

This sounds pretty awesome so far, Blizzard. The synth sounds in the beginning (for the first 10 seconds I think) don't really seem to blend well with the drum beats. Though that's more or less just me. Other than that, the piece sounds pretty good so far and I can't wait for a finished product.

Blizzard

It's an old leftover from an experiment back in the days. But if I just remove it, the transition does not sound as awesome. ._. I'll have to find a substitute.

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Calintz

good work Blizzard. my favorite of your songs so far is "Synthetic Dreams."

Blizzard

January 04, 2013, 11:42:57 am #4 Last Edit: January 05, 2013, 09:49:56 am by Blizzard
I've been working on this today and I partially went away from the previous concept. But the new one is pretty awesome. :3 I still have a lot to do and the structure still needs to be overworked a lot (especially the transitions in the second half).

Blizzard Borealis - Origin (W.I.P. Demo)

EDIT:

HURR HURR HURR, it's done. More or less.

Blizzard Borealis - Origin (Pre-Final)

If anybody can offer any feedback on what I could still fix/improve, feel free to post.

winkio

It felt like I was in an aura of broken string instruments.  The aura could be good, but it feels too harsh right now.

Also, nobody loves you :V:

Blizzard

I want the strings to be strong here because the main synth is not really the carrier of the melody. In fact, when the synth notes were slightly different, it sounded really bad, but as soon as I slightly rearranged them to follow the choirish strings/pads, suddenly it fit so perfectly.

*goes off to die forever alone* :V:

ArcaneAlchemy

Personally I like the intro being off-time. It gives a nice sense of tension-resolution rhythmically. The only thing that I would suggest, and this is true for most trance(or whatever the hell the genre is I get confused with electronic music), is like a grand finale. Usually somewhere at about 3/4 of that type of song, there is a big silence, the elongated double build up, and then a huge amount of layers going on. For the whole progression, that tends to usually be the case when it comes to the 'chorus-like' or "b" sections. They tend to have layers that were added on or layers that have been replaced. Regarding the grand finale thing, it's kind of like a comedy act, where they introduce motifs from throughout the act, again why some earlier layers should be replaced at an earlier point in the song. Wow, that was long-winded, sorry. I just love talking music.
"Wait? Do I look like a waiter?" -Kefka

Blizzard

It depends on how you structure the song. I like having 2 chorus sections instead of just one so I can't make one grand finale. Though, sometimes I do make a different structure (like I did in Perfect Chaos) with only one chorus section and a grand finale together with that.

ArcaneAlchemy

Yeah, I mean I think you could manage like a big thing either way. It's like when you think about the Farewell to Kings album from Rush, they would use multiple choruses and songs for that matter and bring them back minutes or songs later. Or like symphonies and what not. I just remember from reading a few books about 'hooks' and all that, one useful technique is to reinvent something that you return to like in most nashville/pop styled songs, they will commonly add in a slide guitar layer or will transpose the double repeated chorus up a whole tone. Now, the latter is real cheese, but just throwing out ideas either way. Anyway, the song is jammin' and keep up the good work.
"Wait? Do I look like a waiter?" -Kefka

Blizzard

I did a little bit of extra mastering (particular detuning of some sounds, volume adjustment and some extra reverb). I oriented myself a bit at what winkio said about broken string instruments. It sounds less detuned now. In any case, this is the final product. Get it while you can, because I am going to delete it from the server soon.

Blizzard Borealis - Origin

Ryex

I like it. there is a constant feeling through the beginning of the song that the melody and the base aren't quite syncing and it shifts into alignment as it progresses.
I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

Blizzard

Actually that's true. I'm using a somewhat different melody while off the chorus part. It feels like the sound is trying to get in sync with the strings, but it can't get it done. And then, boom, full-on chorus with synced melody, synth and strings.