[XP] AMC's The Waking Dead (RPG Fan Game)

Started by JamesTerrano, October 29, 2012, 12:01:51 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

JamesTerrano

October 29, 2012, 12:01:51 pm Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 06:34:07 pm by JamesTerrano
AMC's The Waking Dead (RPG Fan Game)
The project which is so very important for me!

Info:
Game is based on the TV series "The Walking Dead" from AMC, which is based on the same named comic book by Robert Kirkman. It's probably my best idea and my greatest project. The game will include a lot of playable characters for which the player can play depending on what part of the story plays.

Story:
The story is the same as in the TV series. The player begins in the hospital, in which Rick Grimes awoke from a coma. Furthermore walk through Atlanta, where you will be saved from Walkers (zombies) by Glenn, get into the CDC, the Hershel Greene's farm and far away.
In demo the story will end there, where the first episode of season 3 ends.
In Free mode you can choose a policeman, soldier or civilian and experience your own story in the world of Walking Dead. In Free mode, you get to places known so far only from comics (Alexandria Safe-Zone, Hiltop Colony).

Game Modes:
Story Mode - Original story as it was in the TV series.
Free Mode - Free game... Choose an ordinary character, give it the name and play the game on your own.
Survival Mode - You must survive attacks of Walkers on different maps. You can choose from four playable main characters from the series (Rick, Daryl, Glenn, Michonne).

Screenshots:

Free mode:

Survival mode:

Hospital Map (First Version):

Rick Grimes's Town (First Version):

The first maps... unfinished, imperfect, with imperfect characters (but probably I can't do better).

Progress:
maps: 5%
graphics: 5%
sounds: 0%
Music: 10%

I need help:
I need necessarily help with these things ...
scripts
Spoiler: ShowHide
1. I need some very easy Battle System. Something like: press for example C or X to attack.
2. Some script that will cause the Walkers (Zombies) will notice you on a certain distance.

tilesets
I need a tileset of Atlanta and CDC from The Walking dead TV series!

characters
I'm not good at creating characters. I really need characters from Walking Dead! For now: Rick Grimes (several versions), Morgan Jones, Duane Jones and several Walkers (zombies)!
Pictures of them can be found here: http://walkingdead.wikia.com/wiki/The_Walking_Dead_Wiki

Team:
For now, everything is made by me... except tilesets that are found for example via Google and combined as I need.

Demo or full version of the game:
"There will not be for a long time ..."
My current RMXP projects:
- AMC's The Walking Dead: RPG Fan-Game
- Lonely Warrior
- Dead World
My temporarily postponed RMXP projects:
- Pokemon X (lost after the collapse of my pc)
- High School of the Dead
My Canceled RMXP projects:
- Survivors of War
- Legend of the Seeker: Clones of Evil [trailer]

JamesTerrano

Added first screenshots of first maps...  :) (imperfect with much more imperfect characters)
- Lonely Warrior
- Dead World
- Survivors of War

JamesTerrano

Well, I did everything I could. Now I don't have the necessary characters, tilesets and other resources...
so the development of the game is now paused.
- Lonely Warrior
- Dead World
- Survivors of War

Vexus

Not to sound harsh or anything but you propose a project and request everything needed to start the project by other people and for free.

Don't you think you're asking far too much?

I'm not a good spriter but on my project alive I am doing the zombies not ask people.

Don't rely on others try doing it yourself unless you can spend $$$.
Current Project/s:

Shadow Eye31

An easier way to go about it would to do a side arc. As much as I'd love to play through each scene, it'd be more entertaining to play through a new story that filled the same world. Would also make it easier to get resources, like rather than waiting for an Atlanta tileset, you can use a basic city tileset and make a new city. Characters would also be easier, too.

For the battle system, I'd recommend Blizz ABS, found here. Wouldn't exactly be the best for firearm-type weapons, but I doubt anyone will jump to remake a new system to fit this project. Also, if you chose to use Blizz ABS, I might be able to offer my hand at the graphics department, since its fairly easy to create the action sprites for it from base characters.

If you want any help with writing, basic scripting, or graphics, let me know and I'll be glad to help. Zombies for the win!

KK20

Yeah, your project is asking for too much in too little time. You just drew an idea on paper and stood up from the crowd saying "Here's my idea! Who's with me?" to which the common response is "No." And with it being a fan-game makes it all the less appealing. (Note you can't really say it's your idea when you didn't even come up with The Walking Dead to begin with)

Since this is your game, you should be the one putting the most effort into it. Don't take on (or ask for) more than you can handle--that's what causes the RPG Maker mentality: 100 ideas, 0 games.

Other Projects
RPG Maker XP Ace  Upgrade RMXP to RMVXA performance!
XPA Tilemap  Tilemap rewrite with many features, including custom resolution!

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: 8310-1917-5318
Discord: KK20 Tyler#8901

Join the CP Discord Server!

JamesTerrano

Quote from: Vexus on November 11, 2012, 06:50:42 am
Not to sound harsh or anything but you propose a project and request everything needed to start the project by other people and for free.

Don't you think you're asking far too much?

I'm not a good spriter but on my project alive I am doing the zombies not ask people.

Don't rely on others try doing it yourself unless you can spend $$$.

Yeah ... I overdid it a bit. You're right. My project, my responsibility... But this does not alter the fact that some things I can't do alone. And we're talking about The Walking Dead. The Walking Dead is the best thing in the world for me. TV Show, comic books and everything else.

Quote from: Shadow Eye31 on November 11, 2012, 08:09:36 am
An easier way to go about it would to do a side arc. As much as I'd love to play through each scene, it'd be more entertaining to play through a new story that filled the same world. Would also make it easier to get resources, like rather than waiting for an Atlanta tileset, you can use a basic city tileset and make a new city. Characters would also be easier, too.

For the battle system, I'd recommend Blizz ABS, found here. Wouldn't exactly be the best for firearm-type weapons, but I doubt anyone will jump to remake a new system to fit this project. Also, if you chose to use Blizz ABS, I might be able to offer my hand at the graphics department, since its fairly easy to create the action sprites for it from base characters.

If you want any help with writing, basic scripting, or graphics, let me know and I'll be glad to help. Zombies for the win!

If you are willing to help me, I'll be very happy. Once I tried Blizz ABS in my "test game", but I did not understand how it works and what to do about it. Also I'm not good at making graphics. If I will do the whole game by myself, it will take years... But even so, I'll continue. I don't care if I do it year, 10 years or until the end of my miserable life. After all it's THE WALKING DEAD.
- Lonely Warrior
- Dead World
- Survivors of War

Shadow Eye31

Well, I feel stupid now. There is an ABS that uses guns in a realistic manor, but it won't have your headshot only condition. A guy aliased Behemoth made it a good while ago. Its rather impressive, but there is not skill support, though that shouldn't be a problem with your concept. If you're still needing a battle system, I could shoot it over to you.

Also, if you recognize you are not good enough to make this game in the image you want it to be, don't make it. Put it on the back burners and make something else. Otherwise, you'll look back and go "damn, I wish I had waited to make that now." Make a bunch of crappy, small projects to perfect your skills, like graphic design, eventing, writing, scripting, understanding other scripts like Blizz ABS, or whatever. That way, you're trying to learn everything and use it effectively at the same time. Just a bit of advice.

JamesTerrano

I don't know. I am in the ends. I will probably reduce my demands.
I take any ABS, also I will need some advice during the work, if I will not know.
The main problem is the graphics. I can take a Tilesets of city and make from it Atlanta. It will not look like Atlanta, but at least it's something. But what I can't do at all is characters. The crappy tiny figures. Making them four times from each side.
That what I've done I've been doing in some stupid character maker. Without any modifications. The Rick Grimes, which I have in the game right now does not look much as Rick Grimes. And not to mention walkers (zombies). They don't look any better ... and still I fail to improve them.

Anyway, in the meantime I did "Hospital Map" from Story mode for Survival mode. Zombies just chasing player and not attacking. I'll have to edit that later.
- Lonely Warrior
- Dead World
- Survivors of War

swick

November 13, 2012, 04:25:42 am #9 Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 04:27:08 am by swick
I'd actually be intrigued to help out with this project if you weren't so inexperienced with mapping and incorporating your own custom made resources. When I work on games I generally have to do everything myself unless someone wants to help out.  And even with me being an experienced user of the program, nobody really steps up to help. So maybe you should brush up on your skills a little bit, and maybe this can be your first project? :)

JamesTerrano

Ok, now I'm really pissed off! The game is postponed indefinitely!  >:(  >:(
I tried to make the character Michonne. It came out from it the small brown shit! I'll never do those stupid little characters for RMXP. It is so small that it can't be done properly! And if I use some Character Maker, it always come out even worse shit! I don't have the time nor the mood to fool with those miniature characters.
In the past I made the characters called "Microheroes" (info about Microheroes). I was good in that, because the characters were large and I was able to work on the details. Maybe I'll just have to use Microheroes, which means that I will have to redo also the tilesets to much bigger.
So, from now on I'm done working on this game until I resolve, what to do next.

I apologize for some of my words and my uncontrolled anger.  :shy:
When I'll calm down a little, I will write here again about my problem and how I will solve it.
  :facepalm:Maybe I'll seriously do Microheroes version...
- Lonely Warrior
- Dead World
- Survivors of War

G_G

Hey dude, calm down. Making a game can be very frustrating, especially if you're not good in a certain area. I can't sprite for the life of me. So I usually end up spending hours googling for specific resources and usually turn up empty handed. What you need to do is go to a few RM forums, request some sprites and be sure to provide a picture with your request. If worst comes to worse, you could always pay someone to do sprites for you. Making a game isn't something that's supposed to be easy, or making a good game anyways. It takes time and patience. So many people get ahead of themselves, especially in RPG Maker, and end up giving up on the project. Take baby steps. If you can't solve graphics right now, move onto something else.

JamesTerrano

I'm sorry for the last post, when I was so angry.

I tried to make microheroes version of Michonne. Now imagine this version of the character even from back and from the side and in motion (walking). What do you think? Could it look good in game?

- Lonely Warrior
- Dead World
- Survivors of War

G_G

It could look good in game. You might need to shrink the sprite some, it seems a little too large and clunky for RMXP's tile engine.

JamesTerrano

Yes, I can shrink it. Or I can also do larger environment. Bigger tilesets.
I don't know how could miniaturized Microheroes character look.
Size reduction of this style character can be a big mistake.
- Lonely Warrior
- Dead World
- Survivors of War

G_G

Larger tilesets might work, but you have to remember, RMXP tile sizes are 32 pixels x 32 pixels. Which means if you have a sprite that's larger than 32 pixels in width, the character will appear as if it's taking up more tiles, but in reality, behind the code, it's only taking up one tile and collision won't function properly.

JamesTerrano

February 16, 2013, 05:26:33 pm #16 Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 06:06:06 pm by JamesTerrano
After some time I start work again on this game. I had time to ponder what to do with this game.

There will not be Microheroes characters:
I dropped from the original plan with microheroes characters. It's true that it's easier for me to make the characters as microheroes, but I can't do that without a template. My cousin had to help me with that. Unfortunately, my cousin stop helping me ... He just didn't want to. It's a shame, but at least I will not have to edit whole game including tilesets.

Return to the classic RMXP characters:
I hate those little characters. I hate them so much, but I have no choice than continue with them. Create such a tiny bastard takes me 3-5 days. I don't want to know how long it will take all 16 characters in one set. For now, I modified the colors of Rick's uniform. How I found out it was wrong.

Tilesets:
I will not create my own tilesets. Maybe just some parts of them. Otherwise, I will make a tileset for game by combination of various tilesets found on the Internet.

Battle System:
With this seriously, very serious, I need help. I need a simple Battle System. Preferably the same as the original RMXP, but with smaller modification. There must be a moving crosshair like in "The Walking Dead: Social Game".
Screen here:

So it could look something like this (done in photo editor):

The "crosshair" should move that it was not easy to hit.
That is something I don't know how to do. Therefore I urgently need help with this!

So, I hope someone can help me with the Battle System. And the best thing would be if it were so, as I suggest - the original RMXP battle system with aiming.
- Lonely Warrior
- Dead World
- Survivors of War