Upgrade to a SSD disk - hp pavilion g6-2017sp

Started by Apidcloud, November 21, 2012, 07:13:38 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Apidcloud

Hey guys, I've been thinking about upgrading my hp pavilion g6-2017sp, which I bought mid February.
I thought about replacing the original 500GB HDD by a 128GB SSD, but instead of dropping the HDD, I would take dvd's drive off and assemble it to a compatible caddy, so I would have 2 disks. SSD is mainly to run OS and some heavier applications..
What do you think of it? Is it worth?

Also, where can I find a compatible caddy?

Thanks
Instead of wanting to be somebody else, rather become somebody else

"I will treasure the knowledge like a squirrel treasures acorns."

Gibbo Glast 2D Engine - The sky is no longer a limit

Ryex

in all likely hood you don't even need to do that. there should be room for 2 hard drives in the normal hard drive area
I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

Apidcloud

Apidcloud

Nope, my laptop only has space for 1 disk  :haha:

I'm thinking about buying either a 128GB or a 180gb SSD. Also, I'm going to buy a caddy in order to insert a 1TB HDD.
I just don't know if its going 2 get slower in relation to the 500gb I have now.

What do you think?
Thanks

Ryex

December 09, 2012, 06:01:48 pm #4 Last Edit: December 09, 2012, 06:07:22 pm by Ryex
it's a laptop? I was sure the pavilion line was a desktop... well if that's the case don't even bother with the dvd drive thing, it's not going to work the amount of custom fabrication you would need to do to mount the hard drive there wont be worth it. + there is the chance that the motherboard and the bios wont support attaching another HDD where the DVD drive was supposed to be. sure it's a SATA port but laptop bios's are notoriously finicky.

as for speed, if you get an SSD your load times for just about everything will increase dramatic + you wont have to worry so much about dropping you computer or getting it bumped in a backpack and breaking your HDD (don't go throwing your computer around though you don't want to break the case or the chips inside.) but all other HDD be they in caddies ect. will need to be attached via USB so data transfer off those drives will be much slower than it is off your internal drive now by about a factor of 10. but it will still be in the 10-20 MB/s range so it's not too bad unless you have an HDD intensive program writing and reading from it.
I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

Apidcloud

Yes it is a laptop  :haha:

As far as I know, from reading articles and even watching videos, it's completely safe to use a caddy in order to assemble a 2nd disk.
My main issue now is about the HDD. The one i got now, has 2.5", 500gb and 5400rpm
Although, I bought an external HDD this summer, with 2.5", 1TB and also 5400rpm
I'm thinking about disassembling by external hard disk and use it on the caddy that I am willing to buy soon. Is it worth in terms of speed, etc?
Can I use any kind of program to read/write faster from a 2nd disk?

About the SSD, I'm aware that I don't need to be worried about getting it broken  :haha: