Has anyone converted the RPGJS convertToJS_vs.rb to RGSS3?

Started by redvsblack, November 30, 2012, 04:02:38 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

redvsblack

Sorry guys, Web Programmer and Gamer combining the two for the first time for a project so please don't bash me too hard here, especially since I don't know Ruby..  A client wants an RPG embedded into a website and RPG JS seems the easiest way for me to pull it off ... the script to convert RPG JS from RPG Maker XP seems to have been written in RGSS and so is incompatible with the RGSS3 engine that runs on VX Ace, which is what I've been developing in...

I was just wondering if anyone had happened to convert the RPGJS script over to RGSS3 or would be willing to do so, before I start the project all over again in XP or the online RPG Creator?

Available here:  https://github.com/RSamaium/RPG-JS/tree/master/rmxp

Thanks,
Josh

G_G

It would take more than just changing the conversion script. The RPG JS engine is based around the RPGXP data. This wouldn't be a complicated thing as far as database things went, but as far as map data goes and events go, it'd require changing the entire engine as well. It'd be best to just start over in RPG Maker XP. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

redvsblack

Darn, that's what I was afraid of, no worries. Thanks for the heads up!

Apidcloud

I'm sorry if I say anything wrong, but, wouldn't that be a matter of translating from RGSS to RGSS3? I mean, aren't the maps and events done in the same way as in XP? (I really don't know if they're the same, I'm just wondering)
Instead of wanting to be somebody else, rather become somebody else

"I will treasure the knowledge like a squirrel treasures acorns."

Gibbo Glast 2D Engine - The sky is no longer a limit

G_G

No, not really. RGSS3 has a totally different mapping setup and event setup. First of all, different event commands and a different interpreter. The interpreter scripts in both engines are what make events run the way they do and the difference between the two's interpreters are way different. Second, VX Ace has a different mapping style. Layers work completely differently. XP has three layers while VX Ace works with layers depending on the tilesets that are chosen. And the underlying engine's tilemap class handles and draws this data differently than it's counterpart. My understanding of RPG JS is that it's based around XP so we could try changing the converter script to convert the data, that's not really the difficult part, it's just that the engine wouldn't know how to handle this data, so it'd have to be rewritten so it would handle properly.

A few other differences is that Items, Weapons, Armors, and Skills are all child classes of a class known as BaseItem. Not to mention the difference between the engine's default scripts.

Apidcloud

Ah yes, I forgot about that layers part and about the interpreter. Actually, I "didn't" know about the interpreter since I didn't look to VX Ace scripts yet  :P

Sorry anyway  :)
Instead of wanting to be somebody else, rather become somebody else

"I will treasure the knowledge like a squirrel treasures acorns."

Gibbo Glast 2D Engine - The sky is no longer a limit