Can of Worms Chaos Project Style - Monday 19/11/2012

Started by Memor-X, November 19, 2012, 10:41:41 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Memor-X

Monday 19/11/2012

ok, actually there are no worms this week, the show is showing a best of which could mean the end of the season or something, they have another best of next week so i'll wont post anything next week but this week i though i'd post up a couple of worms of my own

Worm 1
Spoiler: ShowHide

Do you think Facebook should be held accountable for the pages/content users created (in terms of hate pages, graffiti on memorial pages (such as harmful comments about the deceased))

Worm 2

Do you think that digital items (like games from Steam) should be considered as one's "property" and thus resold or insured

------------------------------------------

My Answers

Worm 1

for stuff like hate pages of slander then yes Facebook should be held accountable, they could set up an approval system if it was too much work (so if something receives say 5 disapproval then it's hidden from public except to the page creator/manager), ofcause idiots posting up images of them drunk and naked then Facebook shouldn't, that's just stupidity

Worm 2

Yes, i've hated things like iTunes and Steam cause unlike physical music or games you don't own them and as such you can't insure them, now from my understanding, Steam and iTunes allows you to re-download stuff you have brought if say you had to reformat your harddrive, however what happens if you spend (in a lifetime) thousands and an unsealable event causes the server (yet say Steam) to be put out of commission (could be natural disaster, company could have collapsed and can no longer to afford server maintenance), what happens to all your games if you need to install them again, since they aren't property, you can't be refunded in order to get them again unlike what would happen if you insure a collection of games and they are all lost in a fire,

also, me and my friend chip in to buy visual novels (me more than half if you could what i pay you to create a censor patch so i can retain my mental vaginity), if we could only get Fate/Stay Night, Kamidori Alchemy Mister and Tears to Tiara as digital games only off steam (as if they would), then in we would need to share an account insted of just creating an .iso of the disks and storing the real ones somewhere safe

G_G

Answer 1: ShowHide
I like your idea of the approval system either A) A post receives so many dislikes or B) The owner of page/image has to approve comments or something along those lines. But I slightly disagree with you with Facebook being held accountable for what it's users decide to post. They can't control what their users are going to say, but they can provide tools to restrict access or at least ways to manage the content that gets posted, so creators can remove hateful comments. While I haven't actually gone into extensive usage of Facebook (deleted my account sometime ago actually), but I'm pretty sure there are permission setups to control who can post what on your pages and whatnot. Though I could be wrong.

Look at Youtube for example. Technically they are held accountable for what gets uploaded, but it's not necessarily fair. Regardless, they do an excellent job at managing things. A report button to flag NSFW stuff or to remove copyrighted materials (though sometimes they do a horrible job). And as far as hateful comments go, they provide you control over removing comments or just disabling them for your videos and channel.

Answer 2: ShowHide
I completely agree with you. The fact that you're "borrowing" the digital material is a bunch of bullshit, but a lot of people put up with it anyways (including myself). Pay $60 to borrow Skyrim or go out and purchase a physical copy. What's worse is Valve has the power to ban your account, which prevents you from logging in and downloading any of your purchased games. Oh, no refunds by the way. So not only is it an issue with servers dying or companies going out of business, but things like this have the ultimate power to delete your account or prevent access to your material. I guess the reason I put up with it is just for the fact I don't have any other way of getting physical copies.

Worm 3: ShowHide
Do you think Atheists (and other non-Christian related religions) should be socially allowed to celebrate Christmas?

Answer 3: ShowHide
Of course I do. My friend keeps getting into heated discussions with me about this and I dunno why (perhaps he just doesn't approve of me being an Atheist). Regardless, Christmas nowadays isn't really celebrating the birth of Jesus Christ. It's become a seasonal tradition throughout. It's about exchanging gifts, spending quality time with family, and overall enjoying the winter holidays. It's a celebration of nature rather than religion and it's something everybody should be able to enjoy.

Babylonians celebrated the feast of the Son of Isis with gluttonous eating and drinking, and gift giving and the goddess of fertility, love, and war (sound a little bit familiar?). And of course, many other civilizations celebrated similar winter festivals. I think anyone who's ignorant enough to believe that Christmas is a celebration of religion, should pull their head out of their ass and realize it's not.

Blizzard

Answer 1: ShowHide
Of course not. People are stupid and people will always do stupid stuff. Naturally FB (and other pages) mention in their ToS that you can't do stuff like that and that they can suspend your account for it which is fair IMO. FB is but a medium. You can't blame the medium for the messages sent through it.

Answer 2: ShowHide
This is one of the reasons for piracy actually. Technically it's not our property, we only buy a license to use it. IMO this is completely retarded. We live in a world where materialism and private property are basically sacred and those assholes are just being dicks about it and want to prevent people from reselling stuff. They were already trying to circumvent this problem with day 1 DLC and still milk some money out of their faithful fans even if they get a second-hand game.

Answer 3: ShowHide
Yes. I used to be Christian, now I'm not and I'm not celebrating it anymore. Sure, my family still celebrates it and if they want to give me presents, that's fine. I will even buy them presents, because I want to, not because it's specifically Christmas. Christmas is not about presents or w/e, it has become a holiday that's about being with your family and stuff, not just celebrating Jesus' birth. If people want to be celebrating stuff with the people they love, it doesn't matter what day it is or to which religion it is from. It just makes no point that an Atheist specifically celebrates the birth of Jesus which he doesn't believe in.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Memor-X

Answer 3

Yes ofcause, back in primary school i learned that Christmas was supposed to be the day Jesus Christ was born, i saw how it was related to Christ but not his birthday so i asked if mas meant birthday, my teacher could not answer me on that.

Christmas in a religious sense has nothing to do with presents so for others to celebrate it there has to be another reason, thus presents, as such, retailers want people who isn't religious to celebrate cause then they get money

Christmas is also close (if not at the same time) to that of Thanksgiving in the US, as such it's a time of giving which is far more noble than celebrating the birth of some guy who Gregory House has already explained how he could have possible been born to a virgin (she lied and the boyfriend's an idiot)