[TUT]Creating and Installing a Custom RTP

Started by Calintz, January 09, 2008, 08:07:57 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Calintz

January 09, 2008, 08:07:57 pm Last Edit: October 27, 2009, 06:02:32 pm by Calintz
Creating and Installing a Custom RTP v2.0

Step #1:
Before creating custom resources you need a place to put them.
Please use the following destination to store files for your custom RTP:
"My Computer" > "C:\" > "Program Files" > "Common Files" > "Enterbrain" > "RGSS"

Within the RGSS directory, please create a new folder.
You may name it whatever you like, but note that the name you choose will serve as the name of your RTP.

Screenshot:
Spoiler: ShowHide

Step #2:
Within the folder that you've just created, you will need to create two more.
The first one will be used to store your audio files. The second folder will store your graphics.
  • Audio

• Graphics

Within those folders, you will need to create a folder for each type of resource.
Within the "Audio" folder, you will be required to create the following four folders.
  • BGM

• BGS

• ME

• SE

Withing your "Graphics" folder, you will be required to create the following fourteen sub-folders.
  • Animations

• Autotiles

• Battlebacks

• Battlers

• Characters

• Fogs

• Gameovers

• Icons

• Panoramas

• Pictures

• Tilesets

• Titles

• Transitions

• Windowskins

Screenshot:

Step #3:
Use these folders that you've just created in order to store your files.
Now that you have your RTP where it needs to be, it is time to install it.

Open your start menu ...
Open your CPU's "RUN" application ...
Type regedit.exe into the entry bar and press enter. This will open your computer's registry editor.

On the left side within your registry editor you will notice your system's registry directories.
Extend your way through the following directories:
"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE" > "SOFTWARE" > "ENTERBRAIN" > "RGSS" > "RTP"

You will notice that we've located the roots of the "Standard" RTP.
It's time to install our very own RTP. So, go ahead and right click please.
From the drop down menu; select new > String Value.

You will be prompted to name your new string value. For common sense purposes, please name it accordingly.
Alright, so now that the string value exists, you need to assign it a directory to get its data from.
Right click on your new string value and select "Modify" from its drop down list.

You guessed ...
Use the following directory:
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Enterbrain\RGSS\"Your RTP's Name"

Screenshot:

Voila!! You've just created and installed your very own RTP. Good job.
Now, all that's left is to select it within your project. So, go ahead and run the RMXP editor and open your project.
Highlight the game tab in the editor's toolbar, and click "Select RTP." Finish by adding the new RTP you've just created.

Screenshot:

Thanks for reading.
I hope that you've found some use here.

-Calintz-

Sally

im workingo n makeing an RTP this helps!

Calintz

Oculus Octopus

I always wondered how to do that, nice! :D I never would have guessed you had to go into the registry editor though.

Calintz

Yeah, the registry editor is where you set custom RTPs to the game's.....
"system processor" I guess is what you might call it...

Fantasist

Hey, I've got an idea for a script which makes .reg files for installing the RTP. I'll tell you the basics, it's about making .reg files.

Here's an example I made for my use:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Enterbrain\RGSS\RTP]
"Quantum Core"="C:\\Program Files\\Common Files\\Enterbrain\\RGSS\\Quantum Core\\"

That's the text I've made in Notepad, and I saved it with .reg extension and I have a reg file ready. Now whenever I open it, it adds the info to the registry. Another trick is to export the RTP registry entry from regedit (you can find it in the file menu I think), open it in notepad, change the path, save it and open it. You're done.
Do you like ambient/electronic music? Then you should promote a talented artist! Help out here. (I'm serious. Just listen to his work at least!)

The best of freeware reviews: Gizmo's Freeware Reviews

Calintz

Nice job...sweet
I'll add that to the TUT!!

Calintz

You know it's really kinda funny!!

I imported everything dealing with my game over to my laptop, and in order to continue working on my game, I have to do this process all over again, and without having posted this tutorial earlier...I would have forgot!!

Well, technically I did, Lol =)

Fantasist

lol! 1-year-necro-comeback! Way to go Cal :V So you've got your laptop now, nice :)
Well, I had to do that a LOT of times, so I can do it in my sleep.
PS: Glad you're back :)
Do you like ambient/electronic music? Then you should promote a talented artist! Help out here. (I'm serious. Just listen to his work at least!)

The best of freeware reviews: Gizmo's Freeware Reviews

Calintz

Thanks and I can't help necro-posting, Lol...

Zinx10

I don't understand...how would this be useful?

Starrodkirby86

There are times when you want to distribute your own resources to the mass public under an RTP system. Here's the basis of all that. What's the use? Well, people are always searching for resources, and the need for them is always a nice quiet but high demand.

The RTP 1.32 on RPG2000 is like this, and that's a very helpful RTP.

What's osu!? It's a rhythm game. Thought I should have a signature with a working rank. ;P It's now clickable!
Still Aqua's biggest fan (Or am I?).

shdwlink1993

Another reason is if you make several games and they all use (a substantial amount of) the same custom graphics and sounds. Then, the user would only have to download those files once, and not with each game separately.
Stuff I've made:

"Never think you're perfect or else you'll stop improving yourself."

"Some people say the glass is half full... some half empty... I just wanna know who's been drinking my beer."

Calintz

I am sorry for the necropost, but I have updated the main post.
I do believe that it is 100% easier to understand and follow now. New screens too.