Some physics

Started by Blizzard, December 10, 2012, 10:54:28 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Blizzard

WHAT KIND OF SORCERY IS THIS?!

QuoteWhen you look at words in a mirror, how come they're reversed left to right but not top to bottom? What's special about the horizontal axis?

Seriously, why? I've tried figuring it out, but I couldn't come to any reasonable explanation.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Apidcloud

I've read something about it some days ago, here's the possible conclusion:

Look in the mirror.

Point to your left, and your reflection points to your left. Point to your right and your reflection points to your right.

I've just proven the mirror does nothing to the x axis.

Point up, and your reflection points up. Point down, and your reflection points down.

I've just proven the mirror does nothing to the y axis.

Point to your forward and your reflection points in the direction behind you.

Point to your reverse and your reflection points to your forward.

I've just proven the mirror reverses the z axis.

You have no ground to stand on disagreeing with any of this.
Instead of wanting to be somebody else, rather become somebody else

"I will treasure the knowledge like a squirrel treasures acorns."

Gibbo Glast 2D Engine - The sky is no longer a limit

Blizzard

Here's an alternative.

Look in the mirror.
Point to your left, and your reflection points to their right. Point to your right and your reflection points to their left.
Point up, and your reflection points to their up. Point down, and your reflection points their down.
Point to your forward and your reflection points to their forward. Point to your reverse and your reflection points to in their reverse.

Then I've just proven the mirror reverses the x axis.

It seems to be a matter of perspective, but there has to be an absolute somewhere.

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Apidcloud

December 10, 2012, 12:42:39 pm #3 Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 01:05:49 pm by Apidcloud
using that perspective...yeah, you could say so, but it's just a matter of light reflection - I think.
Check this link:
http://physics.bu.edu/~duffy/PY106/Reflection.html

Edit:
After reading some more articles regarding this issue, I can say: I'm "#$#%"#$# confused <.<

I read that mirrors flip the image, so it does change the X axis if you're using mirror's image point of view.
Flop would change Y axis  :facepalm:

Now, why? As we're talking about flat mirrors, the angle from incident light is equal to the angle from reflected light.... but I'm still confused  :<_<:

Instead of wanting to be somebody else, rather become somebody else

"I will treasure the knowledge like a squirrel treasures acorns."

Gibbo Glast 2D Engine - The sky is no longer a limit

bigace

It doesn't reverse top to bottom OR side to side. It reverses front to back. Think in the third dimension.
http://www.quora.com/Mirrors/Why-does-a-mirror-reverse-things-horizontally-but-not-vertically

Use Dropbox to upload your files. Much simpler than other upload sites, you can simply place a folder on your desktop that will sync with your DropBox account.

Blizzard

Ah, yes, that makes sense. :)