Actor Restriction States - Magic vs Skills

Started by Heretic86, November 28, 2012, 04:13:35 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Heretic86

So I just came across this.

I tried to test out a State for an Actor to restrict being able to use magic.  I put it on Aluxes, but he was still able to cast Crosscut.  Then I threw it on Hilda, but she can't cast Fire, so the effect of the State works. 

What I did not expect was that Skills (both Techniques and Magic) are apparently regarded differently, much to my suprise.  What I don't get is how to create New Techniques and New Magic in the DB and regard each appropriately.  That is, Magic will be restricted, and Skills are NOT restricted, when a State with Can't Use Magic is applied to an Acotr.

Anyone care to take a crack at explaining this?
(and please don't just say copy and paste because it is needed for scripting later...)
Current Scripts:
Heretic's Moving Platforms

Current Demos:
Collection of Art and 100% Compatible Scripts

(Script Demos are all still available in the Collection link above.  I lost some individual demos due to a server crash.)

KK20

Firstly, this: http://forum.chaos-project.com/index.php/topic,12231.0.html

I'm sure you are aware that 'Can't Use Magic' = Cannot use skills whose Attack Power F is 0.

Other Projects
RPG Maker XP Ace  Upgrade RMXP to RMVXA performance!
XPA Tilemap  Tilemap rewrite with many features, including custom resolution!

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: 8310-1917-5318
Discord: KK20 Tyler#8901

Join the CP Discord Server!

Heretic86

I was not aware of that.  So, thank you.

I'm going to put a link to that script in the script that I am working on because I'm sure that people will be interested in trying to implement new states, like a skill that is only available with low hp or something.
Current Scripts:

Current Demos:

(Script Demos are all still available in the Collection link above.  I lost some individual demos due to a server crash.)

KK20

Yeah, you just had to right click the "Restriction" drop down and it explains it all.

Couldn't you just event those custom states? For example, the low HP one is just calling a common event and adding/removing the state if the actor's HP is within the range. Is there some level of complexity that you're aiming for?

Other Projects
RPG Maker XP Ace  Upgrade RMXP to RMVXA performance!
XPA Tilemap  Tilemap rewrite with many features, including custom resolution!

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: 8310-1917-5318
Discord: KK20 Tyler#8901

Join the CP Discord Server!

Heretic86

Learn something new every day.

Most of my experience with the "Whats this" with other programs has been absolutely piss poor at best.  I was unaware of the detailed explanation that the "Whats this" box provides.  Enterbrain continues to impress me.

What I'm working on is a full rewrite of an existing battle system.  I wanted to test out pretty much every feature that is built into the XP Editor to make sure they all work as expected, and that was one feture I did not know how to implement before your guidance.

My suggestion wasnt something I was specifically planning on implementing.  At first, I thought it was yet another bug in the battle system script, but after testing in an empty project, found it was just a feature I didnt know how to use at that time, hence the post for help.  The script is the XRXS Battle System, and there is a discussion thread in Scripts.

But, I like your script a lot, so a link to it got included in the documentation for the rewrite.  And since I am much more familiar with XRXS now, I can tell you that this wonderful script of yours will be compatible with it out of the box.
Current Scripts:

Current Demos: