The future of Spam

Started by Blizzard, July 14, 2008, 05:39:39 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

How should the problem be solved?

Not at all, it's good as it is! #$%&1
4 (20%)
Make a membergroup which can see the SPAM section and allow people to enter or leave that group.
8 (40%)
Completely cut off SPAM, make it a place for junk only and make a separate section for "Random Entertainment".
5 (25%)
Delete the stupid posts in the topics. If they are so pointless and annoying, it should bother nobody.
8 (40%)
Just lock topics that become too idiotic.
15 (75%)
Remove SPAM from the topics that are displayed in the "Show new posts since last visit" section.
20 (100%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Blizzard

Now seriously. Posts here become highly repetetive and annoying. Stuff like

QuoteA: "I got you."
B: "No, you didn't."
A: "Yes, I did."
B: "I posted."
A: "I love you all."
B: "No."
A: "Yes."

is a common "conversation" in spam. I come online and what do I see? 2 pages of new topics. Ok, fine, no problem, forum's been active. But when I see that there are like 5 topics with ACTUALLY RELEVANT stuff and the rest is not only in spam (which isn't necessarily a bad thing), but it's just annoying to get through those topics to find what is actually important. Not to talk about my average time of reading 1 page of new posts in a spam topic which equals 3 seconds, just enough time to scroll to the bottom, catch an eyeglimpse of avatar from people who posted and maybe read some posts that are not from ******** or ******** or ******** or whoever, hoping to come accross something funny.

This is becoming a problem, a serious one. There is more than one solution to it, though. I have made this topic and the poll to discuss this problem. Vote and post your opinion. You can vote for more than one option.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Starrodkirby86

I simply chose the last choice, which was lock the topic if it turns too idiotic. This won't delete any of the existing posts and what conversation they had wrought, and there's still an opportunity to create more topics to spawn off. Of course, if the author wants the topic to go back so they can always PM someone to unlock it. It's simple as that.

What's osu!? It's a rhythm game. Thought I should have a signature with a working rank. ;P It's now clickable!
Still Aqua's biggest fan (Or am I?).

Diokatsu

I have one post on that list XD

Just delete stupid stuff or do the member group thing

DeathLock

Blizz, can you make it so the spam section posts do not appear in the new posts?

Ryex

doto the above if it can be done
I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

Valcos

Yeh I kinda like that idea. It kinda makes it better. If it doesnt show up in my new topics it wont make me feel like theres so much spam to reply to :o! Lets do that :D and maybe lock the really stupid posts that are like one words. O0
"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars."
-Oscar De La Hoya

Blizzard

Quote from: DeathLock on July 14, 2008, 08:35:56 pm
Blizz, can you make it so the spam section posts do not appear in the new posts?

I got the same idea after I went home yesterday when it was already too late. I added this option in the poll. Don't forget, you can change your vote.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

DeathLock

@Blizz: Good thing I didn't vote yet, so I voted for that option.

Nortos

You can change your votes like Blizz said after you vote anyways

Vell

I'm wondering what the difference between SPAM and Random Entertainment would be O.o.

like, Random Entertainment would be where the Forum Games go, and SPAM being for actual SPAM?

DeathLock

@Nortos: Yeah, I know. I'm just saying. ^_^

Starrodkirby86

Quote from: UltaFlame on July 15, 2008, 05:21:58 pm
I'm wondering what the difference between SPAM and Random Entertainment would be O.o.

like, Random Entertainment would be where the Forum Games go, and SPAM being for actual SPAM?
Now under these new rules I'm assuming the Random Entertainment would be a funny and humorous joke, such as a video, a showing of something interesting, that kind of stuff. Whereas the spam would be simply just funny occurrences that don't categorize anything else (Like where you can say your boring life...except hope people will tarnish it with good humor xD). Blizzard just doesn't like how the posts aren't very content-ful and simply Ulta and FAX fights with the occasional Valcos popping in.

What's osu!? It's a rhythm game. Thought I should have a signature with a working rank. ;P It's now clickable!
Still Aqua's biggest fan (Or am I?).

Vell

:/ THEN WHY DON'T OTHER PEOPLE COME IN?! I DONT LIKE IT WHEN THEY SAY THEY LOVE ME AND STUFF! THATS WHY I SAY NO! GEEZ.

anyway.

:/ I put a rant in the shoutbox telling them to STOP DOING STUFF LIKE THAT. that is the cause of Blizz's annoyance apparently due to his quote.

A: "I love you all."
B: "No."
A: "Yes."

which is more often than not directed solely at me. before I said more, but now I just got so freaking tired with it I only say NO!

>:/

Punn

Well, talking reality over here, whenever I come on, and view new post, over 90% of topic does not interest me because their spam, or something that's related to two or one person. This sort of thing contributes to why I'm not here so often and half of time, I'm left out cuz I'm not an idiot to post something weird or dumb. Maybe a more useful form of spam.. you know, something worth a chuckle then something pointless. I think someone around here is to blame for that.

Then again, my words wont be heard anyways... -_-

Diokatsu

Don't count yourself out yet, big guy. But can we really define what is "useful spam". I take ulta's side a little when I say that's redundant. Rather, no one should be punished for Spam, but if their topic isn't what Blizzard sees fit then it should be deleted. It's hard to judge what's "worth a chuckle" (sorry, mum just using you as an example). The member group seems like a good idea to keep out the un wanted. Although that would limit Spam to those willing to accept the bad as well...There's no good answer for all this I feel.

Vell

well it seems what Bothers Blizz(accordin to his quotes) is the multiple times someone says somethin like that, directed towards everyone(OR ME USUALLY >.< ) then I say no. and actually, that bothers me too :/

Diokatsu

I'll admit that I do that alot. Though, I don't think anyone is NOT to blame, and yes others have acted on their own freewill as have you, Ulta. If that's the problem, then maybe a Rule list for Spam?

Vell

I admit, I've gotten repetitive. I have, thats why from now on till whenever forever ends Im only doing my game, and the Pic thing, maybe.

Punn

Well, I dont mind you being yourself Ulta, that whole emo killing spree you got there defines you, although I dont read the whole thing, just where the bloody part comes in, and dont forget your weird roleplaying stuff you got there.
I'll admit, thats what I like about you, but sometimes you get too weird..

Vell

...theres that. I'm not Emo. I would just like people to stop saying stuff about me like 'I love you' and bullcrap, it... pisses me off.

I know I'm weird, I pride myself on it. :/