[XP] Lunar Legacy(Demo Time)

Started by Neoend, December 29, 2012, 11:49:13 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Zexion

No worries I did the same on my first demo release lol.

locowhiteknight

@kk20 That's what I was kind of thinking, but thanks for the help (levels up).

My thoughts on the demo so far:

The Good:

I really enjoyed the opening sequences of this demo. You picked a great song for the intro and synced it perfectly with  the animated synopsis. You pulled it off so well in fact, that by time the game started, I was genuinely pumped for a grand adventure.

I'm still working through the demo, so I'll post something more complete at a later time, but some of my nitpicks are:

Sometimes the rules for entering and exiting doors are not consistent. Sometimes an action key is required, while other times it's not. It seems to be something that was just overlooked in a couple of instances.

I not a huge fan of the mapping so far. I guess it's good enough to get by, but it seems like it should be little bit tighter (I've only made it to the assault on the fort).

The combat seems difficult, but I'm going to play through it again and be more thorough. I normally start demos by rushing through them to scope things out first, to make sure they're worth playing, before I invest too much time into them.

Overall, I have a very positive impression of the game. I'll post a review that's hopefully more helpful at a later time.
"Let's get down to brass tacks. How much for the ape?"

Neoend

whoa thanks locowhite i wasn't expecting impressions so early, especially not on christmas!
Hearing your nitpicks, I'm both happy and a bit annoyed. Annoyed because the door consistency was something I was trying to tie down, but I'm happy that it was caught. So much bittersweet feelings. In terms of the mapping that's a totally fair criticism. My mapping style is still needing of a bit more refining but I hope I'll get there!
Although in terms of mapping I must say that that particular area has been in the game since the very beginning. It's been revamped over time, but there was one area I never touched upon again, the fortress. The mapping there is particularly weak. It's really a vestige from three years ago. But still hope you might enjoy it!

And yeah I got that intro implemented about 40 minutes before I uploaded and wow I was almost in tears by how well it turned out.

But yeah with Lunar Legacy I'm going for an effect that it's a grand big world, that doesn't just revolve around the main characters action. These aspects won't really appear in this small segment but I'm working on it. The downside is that this vision increased the work load horrendously and I have to make compromises. But still it's a fun time.

Oh and for battles, they're intended to be hard, but once you figure out the weakness or strategy, you can do up to 7 times the damage!
Thanks again Locowhiteknight!
Hey! if you like webcomics and other fun distractions check out my site:
www.laforix.com

Neoend

Hey everyone. It's been a while but, development is going forward albeit at a snail's pace due to other projects and commitments.
The main post has been updated with two screenshots showing the new system I'm calling S.N.A.I.L
What S.N.A.I.L stands for: ShowHide

Streamlined Natural Action Interface ....um....Logic?

The goal with Snail is to make environments more engaging with tons of secrets to find and things to explore. Snail also allows for some puzzles but I'm still working out the infrastructure for that aspect.

Right now progress wise, I am working on the third story dungeon. Mostly the puzzle aspect of it, and then once that is done what I will be doing are as follows:
Things coming up: ShowHide

Working on a massive and hopefully epic 'end of chapter' scene.
Creating 3 optional towns for players to visit
Fleshing out the Snail mechanics
Creating 2 hidden dungeons
Cleaning up the database
Testing

There are a few features I'm working on on top of the above tasks that are intertwined with the sense of exploration. I'm hoping that I'll be able to execute them properly so that they are enjoyable.
So yeah, if there any questions let me know, and I'll answer. Have a good day.
www.laforix.com

WhiteRose

I like the HUD used for SNAIL. I'll have to download it and give it a try - the game looks fun. How long is the demo?

Neoend

Hey WhiteRose glad to hear it. The look was one of those nice little accidents, and I just rolled with it.

The demo if I recall correctly could be finished in 45 minutes.
www.laforix.com