[$50 reward] Light Effects Script (VXAce -> XP)

Started by Terv, January 01, 2013, 07:09:59 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Terv

January 01, 2013, 07:09:59 am Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 08:02:32 pm by Terv
Hey,

I recently found a quite decent light effects script for VX Ace and (after two failed attempts by me) am looking for someone that is able to port it to XP.

As far as I can tell the script is hard to adopt by no means as it contains little Ace-specific code. It's more some of the changes in Game_Map which made my efforts throw up errors.

As I don't have much more to offer than a warm thank-you and a credits entry otherwise, I also offer a payment of 50$ for this one. PayPal, Moneybookers, Amazon wishlist, wire transfer, gift coupon - name it.

Please PM me or post in this thread when you decide to take a look.

Happy new year,
Terv

Blizzard

January 07, 2013, 05:40:02 pm #1 Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 03:28:47 pm by Blizzard
Since no one wants to take this on, I'll take a look at it tomorrow and let you know if I'll do it.

EDIT: Alright, this seems simple enough. I'll do it this weekend.

But before I start working on the port, let's just quickly agree on the terms of exchange. When I'm done, I'll make a few screenshots of the script in RMXP (I can even make a video if you insist) as proof that the script works. After that you will transfer the money on my PayPal and once I have received a confirmation from PayPal that the money was transferred, I will send you the finished script and the demo.
If you are worried whether I will really send you the script after you have paid, here's a simple explanation why I will keep my end of the bargain: I have no reason to not give you the script after I get the money. I have a steady and well-paying job so $50 is not really worth stealing from my point of view. Also, I have quite a reputation in the RM community (heck, I'm the admin here) that took me years to build up. I wouldn't throw that away for $50.

Let me know if you're ok with the terms.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Terv

January 08, 2013, 05:29:50 pm #2 Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 05:36:55 pm by Terv
Hereby I accept your proposed terms; to be honest there's actually no person in all the RM community I'd trust more than you :P

Blizzard

Spoiler: ShowHide

As you can see, the light effects behave exactly like in RMXVA. There are only 2 things to consider. I have written them already down in the script for you so I'll just copy-paste it here.

Quote#==============================================================================
#
# Configuration:
#
#  Due to the difference in the mapping systems between RMXP and RMVXA, the way
#  walls and roofs work in RMXVA cannot be reproduced completely in RMXP.
#  Instead of this, a few additional terrain tags have to be configured.

#  L_Wall_Tag - terrain tag for left wall end
#  R_Wall_Tag - terrain tag for right wall end
#  L_Roof_Tag - terrain tag for left roof end
#  R_Roof_Tag - terrain tag for right roof end

#==============================================================================
#
# Notes:
#
#  Because RMXP and RMVXA use different types of tilesets, make sure you have a
#  tileset that works well with RMXP. RMVXA's tilesets are based on square
#  objects that take up a whole tile while RMXP is based on tiles that can
#  contain partial graphic elements that are combined into a larger element on
#  the final map. e.g. RMXP's walls has rounded edges.

#::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Let me know if you are satisfied with the results, because honestly, I'm not that satisfied. ._. While the script is pretty cool and all, RMXP's tilesets just weren't made for something like this. But if you use custom tilesets, you will have no problems. The only other problem that I noticed is lag, but RMXP has problems with that by default so yeah.
I give you a simple warranty on this script: If something doesn't work or there is a bug, I will fix it free of charge. Other than that, the script is "as is" and I take no responsibility in how you use it.

Once you transfer the money, I will PM (or email, whichever you prefer) you the script with the demo. It comes in 2 parts, one of which goes above the original script and the other one below. The original script itself stays unaltered that way.
My PayPal email is boris[dot]blizzard[at]gmail[dot]com.

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Terv

January 14, 2013, 12:15:35 am #4 Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 12:33:36 am by Terv
First of all, thanks for being so professional to be able to do this port, 3 scripters before weren't  :^_^':
I have sent 56$ some minutes ago, because of German government nazi taxes. You will probably recieve something around 51-52$.
Please PM me the script.

A question though, do those Wall/Roof Tags fix the odd looks of round walls in any way? In case they don't, I will use the portable light source part only and would it be possible to make it look more like that using the tags?

QuoteThe only other problem that I noticed is lag, but RMXP has problems with that by default so yeah.
I run my XP game using the Ace engine anyway so this script won't cost hardly more than a couple fps, or at least not make them drop below 30.

So all I'm asking for are some minor improvements to lantern shadow casting. I demanded a port and not a rewrite having regard to all of XP's quirks, after all.

Blizzard

Sadly it can't be done. :( The script creates one big bitmap over the screen and renders light sources there and then uses a sprite with a negative blending to display that bitmap. Because of that, RMXP is only aware of the tiles themselves, not the graphic that is displayed on the tile so it's not possible to have the shadow casting be able to cast light like that. I would have to go into the implementation details more deeply to explain why, because the script uses shadow casting on a tile-based system as well. To make it work, it would really require a complete rewrite. Your best bet is to find alternate tilesets (or edit existing ones) to have square corners.

I'll PM you the script now.