Zelda Wind Waker HD - "Solid move!" or "Milking much..."?

Started by SBR*, January 23, 2013, 04:39:39 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

SBR*

Earlier this day, I posted a link to this article in the shoutbox. It's about the new Zelda remake that was announced today: The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD. However, a number of CP-members have said that they think this is a stupid move on Nintendo's part. I'd like to explain why I like the Legend of Zelda WWHD.

Quote from: MarkHest (on skype)I don't want a remake, I want a completely new game! >.<

Quote from: SBR* (on skype)They'll be making a new game.
[17:44:20] SBR *: However, it seems to be going to take them a long time, as they're rethinking a lot of principles.
[17:44:55] SBR *: They originally tried to convert a few WW graphics to HD in order to test a new art style, but they were so happy with it, that they decided to release the entire game in HD.
[17:46:36] SBR *: In other words, this game is meant to cross the gap.
[17:47:13] SBR *: Also, Nintendo says they're going to adjust a few things in WWHD. First of all, as you may have noticed, the art style is a little different, although it still resembles cell-shading.
[17:48:57] SBR *: Secondly, they say a few design aspects will be changed. Will this mean that the triforce hunting will be removed? Who knows (I sure hope so). I've also heard that originally, they wanted to implement a few other dungeons in WW, but they didn't make it due to limited time and release date.
[17:49:38] SBR *: Now, I love that Nintendo takes a long time for making new Zeldas. It makes them different from, for instance, CoD, of which a new game is pumped out every year.
[17:49:54] SBR *: This way, every Zelda is original, progressive and seems like, if not is, a masterpiece.
[17:50:30] SBR *: A lot of fans have demanded Nintendo makes WWHD, so I don't blame Nintendo for bringing it out. If anything, I'm excited too.
[17:50:50] SBR *: I need my dose of Zelda and WWHD is sure to provide it.
[17:52:02] SBR *: In other news, I've heard Nintendo might someday make a remake of MM due to popular demand, but not until they've released an original Zelda for the 3DS and provided the demand for MMHD is just as high then.

Quote from: BigAceIt's Nintendo, instead of thinking of something they'll just recreate the samething over 9000 times. Milking much...

As I've stated above, there has been a high demand for a remake of the Wind Waker. This isn't exactly 'milking' in my honest opinion: every couple of years, a genius new Zelda is released. To cross the time gap, remakes are being brought out. You can either buy them or you not; It's not something you have to buy in order to keep up with the game. Also, I like how Nintendo gives the Zeldas they re-release a nice upgrade: in OoT 3DS, the Water Temple suddenly became playable and the graphics got a major boost - for instance, besides quality, everything looks a lot more colourful. Now, they seem to be giving WWHD a slightly new graphical style instead of just a boost: it isn't exactly cell-shaded anymore, yet it still strongly resembles it. I like that: instead of saying "We converted this to the WiiU. Have fun!", Nintendo actually puts a bit of effort in it. Also, perhaps, though this is just my hoping, they will actually do something about the - in my opinion - boring fetch quests; I think that would make the game a lot better.

Besides, I think the new Zeldas are each a masterpiece. I don't see how two remakes, which were both very popular and demanded amongst fans, make it into milking.

Quote from: BlizzardI have to admit, this looks like... Wait, this looks like the same game except rendered on a higher resolution and with better bloom lighting. WTF? How is that HD?

I actually like the new style. Yes, the bloom is a tiny little bit-a lot overkill, but those are just preview pictures and here's me hoping they will adjust it to a more normal level.

So, what do you guys think? I'd love to hear you guys' more elaborated opinions.

P.S. It is to be noted that I'm a bit of a Zelda-fanboy, but I still try to stay objective when it comes to these things. I'm sorry if I failed at that.

Blizzard

Well, I can only say that I understand the move with OOT, because the game's over 10 years old, but WW isn't. And it didn't seem like they changed as much as they did in OOT 3D. That's why WW seems like milking to me. All I saw were screenshots with better lighting taken in higher resolution. :/

I love Zelda myself. It's probably one of the few games that I can play through over and over and that I will play till they keep making them or I die, whichever comes first, because the concept is expanded each time. But just a weak graphics update like that? Sorry, not into it. :/
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

winkio

I would bet that it is more focused on the new zelda players who played skyward sword and perhaps twilight princess, but not windwaker.  Since the wii u can't play gamecube games, the only way to rope new players in is with virtual console or a remake.  And if the remake is as simple as increasing the graphics settings and doing a few small tweaks, then it will sell much better than the virtual console with little extra effort.  The remake doesn't seem exciting or terrible to me, it just seems normal I guess.

SBR*

My best bet is that they will implement a WiiMote-controlled sword. That would seriously be a game-changer. Also, the possibility of a new dungeon gets me all warm and fuzzy. One last thing I'd like to see is a Master Quest mode in addition to the regular pajama. I guess only time will tell whether they will include these features and thus if this was truly a good move or a huge mistake.

Quote from: BlizzardWell, I can only say that I understand the move with OOT, because the game's over 10 years old, but WW isn't. And it didn't seem like they changed as much as they did in OOT 3D. That's why WW seems like milking to me. All I saw were screenshots with better lighting taken in higher resolution. :/

If the fans are begging Nintendo for a WW remake, why wouldn't they do it? After all, Nintendo is a business and if there is money to be made without ruining the game, by all means, they should go for it. Especially if it's so popularly demanded.

EDIT:
Quote from: BlizzardWell, I can only say that I understand the move with OOT, because the game's over 10 years old, but WW isn't.

I would like to remind you that Ocarina of Time has been remade trice before OoT3D: for the GameCube, another time for the GameCube as part of the Collector's Edition and on the Wii virtual console. I do agree that the last two aren't really full-fledged remakes, as one is just part of a collection and one is just 10 bucks on the Wiiware store. Then again, those two didn't really feature any improvements, unlike the Master Quest edition and the 3DS edition.

Personally, I think the remakes aren't really 'milking' yet. However, I do agree that releasing a remake every other year and charging full price for it seems a little rediculous, even though the games are improved. That's why I hope Nintendo will take one of these two directions: either they release the remakes as low-budget games (around 20 euros seems okay to me) or they release a full collection, each of the games being improved. They could easily ask 150-200 euros for such a collection.

Blizzard

Lol, I don't remember anybody begging for a WW remake. But then again, I'm not up to date with the stuff.

I wouldn't consider those to be remakes either, yeah. FF3 for the DS was a remake, the OOT versions were more of an upgrade.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.