Sublime Text - License for Chaos-Project?

Started by Ryex, January 31, 2013, 06:31:17 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Ryex

http://www.sublimetext.com/

I have found what I think Is the BEST text editor ever. I'm currently evaluating it but I would like to get a license (they don't actually enforce the trial period). and I would like to share that license with people here on CP (License can be used on as many computers and operation systems as you want).

I'm wondering, if others on this site also like the editor, would be willing to pitch in for that $70 license.
I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

winkio

Looks decent, but not $70 decent.  I have half a mind to duplicate some of the features in a personal version of the software.

ThallionDarkshine

My brother uses that for everything. To me it just looks like an overcomplicated code editor, so I would probably never use it.

Ryex

January 31, 2013, 07:15:29 pm #3 Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 12:54:55 am by Ryex
Exactly,  I don't really want to pay $70 unless others on the site want to use it too.

but again, like winrar the trial period isn't enforced , they don't even tell you how long it is. in fact, there isn't even a dialog saying "you haven't bought this yet" that I have seen, just "unregistered" in the window title

EDIT: Notepad++ can go die in a hole! this things is awesome!
EDIT2: F**KING BUILD SYSTEMS! with the ability to use regexp to navigate to errors lines and files bases on the console output! ALSO the best dam code completion I've ever seen short of having an actual IDE.
EDIT3: SCRATCH THAT! there is freaking FUZZY SEARCHING in the code completion  bgc -> background-color this is BETTER than any IDE I've ever used!
EDIT4: is a python command line and there are packages for EVERYTHING!
EDIT5: SNIPPITS! VIA CODE COMPLETION! Install-able via package control or creatable by yourself!
I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

Zexion

You know...if I actually needed it, I would SO be more than willing to pitch in like $20, but as I am now I do most coding in bloodshed and soon eclipse, and im pretty sure i won't ever do anything python related -_-

Ryex

February 01, 2013, 01:09:53 am #5 Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 07:44:33 am by Ryex
a must watch series of videos if you think you might like Sublime Text
https://tutsplus.com/course/improve-workflow-in-sublime-text-2/

and again it has an infinate trial period so feel free to use it now. I'm just wondering if people here want a license and get access to the beta and stuff like that we could buy it together

Blizzard

Some of the features seem to me like glorified search/replace functions (at least the ones in the GIFs). And when you're a programmer, fuzzy search seems kind of unnecessary. I agree with winkio that it's not worth $70. Though, it does look superior to Notepad++.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Ryex

February 01, 2013, 02:35:57 pm #7 Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 02:54:15 pm by Ryex
It's a lot more then gloried search and replace, it's multiple cursors with several keyboard shortcuts for selection. it's actual search and replace is great too. and two of thous gifs were a "command palate" (fuzzy searching of every command in the app) and a "go to anything" dialog (fuzzy searching of your entire project space and inside files once you put an @ symbol in there)

and I would agree it's not worth the $70 as it is now. perhaps $40.  but again it has an INFINITE trial period that in NO WAY restricts it's usage and there is NO annoying dialog that pop up about buying the software.

the license gets you access to the current version 3 beta which has a massive list of improvements (still not sure if it's worth it but you know). http://www.sublimetext.com/blog/articles/sublime-text-3-beta

out of the box it's about 3 times better than Notepad++ is with about 10 plugins. then you have the fact that there are about 100 plugins for this thing that are far better in quality than notepad's.

seriously, watch a few of those videos and try this out.

Aqua

QuoteLicenses are per-user, rather than per-machine, so you can enjoy Sublime Text on as many computers and operating systems as you wish with your license.

Multiple Operating Systems or Computers
Licenses are per-user, so you're welcome to use the one license on all computers and operating systems where you are the primary user. For businesses, the number of users must equal the number of licenses.

Site Licenses
Site licenses are not offered for Sublime Text.

What were you trying to accomplish with $70?

Also...
Upgrade Policy
A license is valid for Sublime Text 3, and includes all point updates, as well as access to prior versions (e.g., Sublime Text 2). Future major versions, such as Sublime Text 4, will be a paid upgrade.

Ryex

if we bought a License we would share as a site Chaos Project would be the user.
The current release is version 2 and the license works for version 3 which is in beta which we would get access too

SBR*

I've been using Sublime Text for quite a while and, although I must say I've never used any other editor, I think it's great. There is, however, an annoying dialogue box that tells you you haven't registered that appears every few times you save, but other than that I really like it.

Ryex

Quote from: SBR* on February 05, 2013, 12:41:17 pm
I've been using Sublime Text for quite a while and, although I must say I've never used any other editor, I think it's great. There is, however, an annoying dialogue box that tells you you haven't registered that appears every few times you save, but other than that I really like it.

ya I only noticed the 3ed day. but it's really not that annoying. you just click cancel and it wont pop up for another 20 saves. and I found a REPL plugin for it. SublimeREPL, it's sublime.

Ryex

ok, This thing has official jumped from freaking awesome to the best dam thing to ever have a place on my computer.

Just today I was working on the editor and I decided that it was a pain in the ass registering all these event formatting components sepreately, what with there being a data extractor, an html formatted, a selection handeler ect.

I had each type of function in 4 large classes 100+ functions long and the result was that I had to add each function seperatly as a component.

then I decided this was a pain in the ass and I would rather have a class for each event command with all it's peaces together, major re-factor time right? what with there being 104 event commands with about 25 of them implemented? copy paste hell was about to consume hours of my life.
or so you would think. using sublime text superb REGEXP search functionality I wrote a REGEXP to select all the function of 1 type, using the "find all" functionality to get a cursor at each one where I proceeded to type out a class statement and suddenly I have 104 classes, a multi row selection with multiple cursors and suddenly I have 104 command code on my clipboard separates into 104 cursors. a single copy paste and each class has a unique name. can you guess what happens now? that's right. three more REGEXP to select all of each type of function a single copy paste operation with multiple cursors for each.

10 minutes latter I have tuned 4 classes, each with 104 functions into 104 classes with 4 function each. another 3 minutes with multiple cursors and I've renames all the functions appropriately so that the interface would be uniform.

30 minutes to refator and modularize 800 + lines of code all because I only have to make 8 or so copy paste operations instead of 400.

this is god tier software guys

G_G

Ryex, I'm totally with you on this thing. I wouldn't mind chipping in some money towards it.

Blizzard

I'll definitely try this out in near future. I have more and more requirements to optimize and maximize my efficiency while doing basically anything so this should come in handy.

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Ryex

I actually have already forked over the money for a license

G_G

Ahhhh....damn. No chance in getting that huh Ryex?

Ryex

I see no reason not to share it between a few close friends. but only a few...

stripe103

Great program. Looks really awesome, but haven't gotten to actually discover all it's features just yet.
Notepad++ is now uninstalled however, I like this one quite a bit more.

Oh, and Ryex? Am I your friend? =)

Ryex

Ryex

Ok, I've now discovered the SublimeCodeIntel plugin and it now official.

there is nothing that any other Editor does better than SublimeText. except perhaps Build Management which Visual Studio takes the cake on.

WhiteRose

I've actually used Sublime Text myself for a few things, and I do really like it a lot. It feels so "fluid," even just for little text-editing things. Though I'm fine using the free version myself, I'm happy to chip in a few dollars to pay back Ryex if other people want to use it.

Spaceman McConaughey

Quote from: Ryex on June 19, 2013, 11:43:45 pm
I see no reason not to share it between a few close friends. but only a few...

Heeey, buuuuuuddy... :)

Ryex

September 22, 2014, 10:40:32 pm #23 Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 11:33:11 pm by Ryex
Ok, grave dig but OH MY GOD I'M IN LOVE!

ok so I told you guys about regular expression searching right? how you can do it with every file in your code base?

well... I noticed that when regular expressions are enabled it highlights capture groups "()" and you have to escape them to find prens. so I though "why does it let you define capture groups if you can't get the out put of them?"

so I did a little digging. turns out you CAN get the out put and use it in the REPLACE field!

I have 90+ files to modify and change the template references on. I was doing it by hand for the first ~15

then I did this.

Find: class (\w+)\(Templates\.(\w+)\):
Replace: from PyitectConsumes import $2_Template\n\n\nclass $1($2_Template):

hit replace.

"do you want to replace occurrences in 77 files?"
Yes.

BOOM

refactor done.

every instance of something like:
Code: python
class WeatherEffects_Dialog(Template.WeatherEffects_Dialog):

replaced with
Code: python
from PyitectConsumes import WeatherEffects_Dialog_Template

class WeatherEffects_Dialog(WeatherEffects_Dialog_Template):

EDIT:
I just closed 3 issues on the tracker  in about 2 hours which I had estimated would take me the rest of the week. all thanks to this one feature.

ForeverZer0

Yeah, but if you just used a normal full-featured IDE, it would have been just as easy. Sure, it makes it easier than other text editors, but it's not like you are forced to use a text editor. It is just using IDE-like abilities.

Yes, it is a very good text editor, but I still don't see the huge deal here.
I am done scripting for RMXP. I will likely not offer support for even my own scripts anymore, but feel free to ask on the forum, there are plenty of other talented scripters that can help you.

Ryex

I'm sorry but I'm going to have to completely disagree. No IDE I've ever encountered had this kind of powerful regexp replaceability. and I dont care how well designed a IDE's refactor tools are designed they can not compete with the flexibility and power offered here.

My point is thus. Show me any IDE. I can replace it with this text editor and not lose any power.

ForeverZer0

Regex find/replace is not something that has never been done before, not anything groundbreaking. If this works best for you for the language you are using, then by all means. I am not saying anything bad about the program, indeed, I think it does appear better than Notepad++ in many ways, and I will definitely be giving it a try.

As for regex find/replace, that's not even uncommon in an IDE. For a text editor, doing it in all source files, yes, that is uncommon.
I am done scripting for RMXP. I will likely not offer support for even my own scripts anymore, but feel free to ask on the forum, there are plenty of other talented scripters that can help you.

Blizzard

I know it's not uncommon, but I don't think that I've seen and IDE with regex search and replace.

On the other hand Notepad++ has that feature for years. But until now I've used it exactly once. It's a cool feature, but its usefulness is probably limited to refactoring.