Good Audio Player Software

Started by winkio, February 01, 2013, 11:07:42 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

winkio

February 01, 2013, 11:07:42 pm Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 11:39:21 pm by winkio
Does anybody know of any good audio player software for Windows?  I did a quick google search but didn't see anything that jumped out at me.  I'm looking for something lightweight on memory, but with good playlist features for listening to music (more than the standard shuffle/repeat).

EDIT: After further searching, MusicBee seems to be closest to what I want, out of the 15 or so programs I looked at.  Just in case anyone else was looking for the same thing.

Ryex

the only thing I can think of is VLC, it has more playlist feature than most people know but it's library management is generally pretty crappy. honestly windows media player is the best one I know of.
most people love winamp and I used media monkey for a while, there is also songbird which I've heard good things about.
foobar2000 has always kinda been the edge kid, it's supposed to be the good one you never hear about, never used it myself.
there is Amarok, Audacious, and Banshee. and about a bazillion others that probably arn't worth mentioning

you should probably look at foobar2000 first if you haven't already
I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

winkio

scratch that on MusicBee, I downloaded and found out that playlists aren't really that different.

I did look at foobar2000.  I guess that would probably be my best bet for extending an existing piece of software to do what I want.  If I ever get the time, that is.

Blizzard

I'm using WMP myself as well as it pretty much does all I need. I never liked Winamp, I always have the feeling that it limits me somehow. Don't ask.

I was actually wondering about the same question, but for Android.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Ryex

February 01, 2014, 03:15:47 am #4 Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 03:49:11 am by Ryex
I've found it. the best dam player there is. http://www.clementine-player.org/

on the surface it doesn't look that impressive. but then you realizes it has a configurable global search ofyou entire libary including EVERY internet provider you've set up (spotify and lasf.fm included). integration with soundcloud, dropbox, googledrive, and skydrive. the best "remove duplicates" I've ever seen. impressive library management tools including a separate cover art manager.

and it's playlist abilities, don't even get me started. you can open and edit multiple playlists AT THE SAME TIME! and switch between them. and they are saved in you session so you don't have to worry about saving between restarts of you don't want to. it also has "smart playlists" that generate a playlist form your library

it has great devise support too.

sadly I can't claim it's light weight.
on my system
AMD Phenom II 965 BE overclocked to 3.8
16 GB DDR3 1600
running Arch Linux x64 it clocks in at using 335MB of ram and 2%CPU with my full library loaded for searching (~6250 tracks) and playing music
VLC by comparison used about 85MB
opening a new playlist tab and adding 85 songs to it added about 10MB to the RAM usage

It's cross platform being built for Windows Linux and Mac.

the only thing bad I have to say about it is that it currently does not have support for DLNA or DAAP network shares like a minidlna media server or an ITunes share
I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

WhiteRose

I've actually never heard of it before; I'll definitely have to give it a look. I've always been pretty happy with WinAmp. I like to add tags like "happy" to my music in the comments section, and then I can search them using the query thing, (such as if I wanted all happy new age songs rated four or more stars,) so I've always liked that. Internet integration on WinAmp is pretty awful, though; I don't use internet sources for music very much anyway, but I can see how that would be a priority for a lot of other people.

Ryex

so, anyone had a chance to take a look at it yet? because I'm still in love with Clementine.

Blizzard

I use Double Twist for Android now and I love it.
GOM Player seems to be a pretty good video player, but I'm not sure how well it works with just audio.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

G_G

I don't really listen to music from my PC anymore, sometimes I will off of youtube, but I use PowerAMP for Android, it's definitely my favorite.

Ryex

Thanks for that Blizz, I've been needing a decent player for android

tSwitch

I can vouch for foobar2000.  Whenever I rice a windows system it's the only audio player I install.  It has MAD customization if you know what you are doing.

FCF3a A+ C- D H- M P+ R T W- Z- Sf RLCT a cmn+++ d++ e++ f h+++ iw+++ j+ p sf+
Follow my project: MBlok | Find me on: tSwitch.us | Twitter | Tumblr

winkio

Yeah I ended up sticking with foobar2000 last year, and have been pretty happy with it.  While I didn't write any custom extensions, I was able to map different playlists to different keyboard shortcuts, so I can switch playlists easily while in another program, which is by far my favorite feature.

R.A.V.S.O

I'm currently on foobar2000 myself, tons of supported formats, crisp sound, loving every minute of it.
Personality Test results
Spoiler: ShowHide

"Life is unfair, so make it unfair in your favor" -Sesilou