13,365,124 Security Leaks

Started by Ryex, February 03, 2013, 03:22:42 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Ryex

I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

ThallionDarkshine

Quick, someone make it 13,365,125!

Blizzard

Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Ryex

I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

Zexion

I don't get it what are the security leaks for?

Blizzard

The "private key" is literally that: It should remain private. If somebody gets your private key, they can technically issue anything in your name (depending for what it was intended). In a simple communication channel, they can make others believe that they are you. They can sign malicious software in your name and nobody will doubt that you made it. The damage that can be done is immense, depending on for what the private key is actually used in this context.

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

ThallionDarkshine

Private keys are the keys used to decrypt messages. With one simple search,ppl can find the private keys to many different things.

Ryex

on the contrary they are the keys used to encrypt messages. the public key is used to decrypt. hence having the private key is like stealing an identity as you can encrypt messages and everyone will think the owner of the private key sent the message.

Zexion

How do people even find these things :O

Blizzard

Private keys can also be used for electronic signatures.

ThallionDarkshine

@ryex
Actually they can be used for either purpose: signatures or decrypting messages.

Ryex

February 04, 2013, 01:08:07 pm #11 Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 01:16:26 pm by Ryex
I'm saying you don't decrypt with the PRIVATE key  only encrypt
I'm being stupid

ThallionDarkshine

You can do anything with a private key: encrypt, decrypt. You just need to use the public key to decrypt or have encrypted it.