[XP] Large area full of events lag problem.

Started by Lokar, June 12, 2013, 02:46:44 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Lokar

June 12, 2013, 02:46:44 am Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 01:55:58 am by Lokar
I'm attempting to make a 25x15 area full of events, which are able to change graphics and passability by player action, sort of a build your own city type thing, or a harvest moon farm field situation. I have it working in the 9x9 area. But once I add the other 300 some events, I'm seeing very terrible lag. If I could get help for a fix, or a suggestion on something else to try, that'd be wonderful.

What I currently have:
A 40 x 23 map which contains 375 events in a 25 x 15 area. I start seeing significant lag around the 250 event mark. All the manipulation of the events are run through scripts. Each event is identical. Page 1 is a passable blank tileset graphic, nothing enabled, no event commands. Page 2 is identical to page 1 with the exception of self switch A enabled, with a nonpassable blank tileset graphic.

I've tried several anti-lag scripts, but I'm not exactly sure how they work with blank tileset graphics, haven't found one yet to help. I'm not sure if it's possible to manipulate a certain tile's passability and graphic through scripts, completely removing the need for events. Ideally, I think that's the best way to go, but I'm not sure how.

My graphic changer, "SephirothSpawn's Character Icon Graphics", and self switch changer, to change passability, run only when the player does an action. I am also using RMX-OS, if that matters. Any solutions, suggestions, or help at all would be fantastic, thanks.

-UPDATE-
I managed to find an anti lag script, zeriab's, which seems to fix my problem. His allowed me to never update all 375 events, which is exactly what I was looking for! The only downside is that I lose pixel movement support, but I'm okay with that.

Heretic86

Have you tried this one?

http://forum.chaos-project.com/index.php/topic,12291.0.html

This may not work for your solution if all your events are always visible.  The way that it works is if the event is offscreen, it doesnt update, which is what causes lag with high volumes of events.
Current Scripts:
Heretic's Moving Platforms

Current Demos:
Collection of Art and 100% Compatible Scripts

(Script Demos are all still available in the Collection link above.  I lost some individual demos due to a server crash.)