Rank skill options

Started by MarkHest, April 03, 2013, 02:33:37 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkHest

April 03, 2013, 02:33:37 pm Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 02:35:33 pm by MarkHest
So I have this problem with my game. Throughout my game you reach "ranks" of your element as you progress in the story and these "ranks" has different types of moves. Instead of just using the same skill window for each rank of moves I thought up the idea of using different skill type windows like this, here I'll show you:

Normal: ShowHide

Rank 2: ShowHide

Rank 3: ShowHide

(Pro editing skills, I know :V)

The way I want it to work is that skills and such looks normal (like the default) at first but when using a script call for a specific actor he/she will get either a Rank 2 or Rank 3 skill option (depends on the Script Call)  in battles where you will be able to select the intended moves for the rank. The way you separate the ranks of the skills could be made with easy modifications within the script (probably by adding Skill [ID] and Rank [ID]?)

This would really help my game because the ranks are quite important. Cheers.

BetaGod

I think this script had an option to make calls like that. Last time i checked, it worked just fine, although it uses SDK. Not sure if that is going to be a problem.

http://houseslashers.b1.jcink.com/index.php?showtopic=262 <--
I am a god in BETA status and therefore, i may contain bugs and such.

Zexion

Isn't there a way to make something un-sdk reliant? I'm pretty sure i once read a tut or something online..

G_G

April 03, 2013, 07:43:17 pm #3 Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 07:45:08 pm by gameus
Of course. You just gotta go through the script, remove the SDK checks, then run through the script and make sure there aren't any methods used that are SDK only.

Though you should check out Skill Separation in Tons of Add-ons. See if that'll do what you need.

BetaGod

Quote from: gameus on April 03, 2013, 07:43:17 pm
Of course. You just gotta go through the script, remove the SDK checks, then run through the script and make sure there aren't any methods used that are SDK only.

^ This, quite much.

It seems like a lot of trouble to me, though. You might face a lot of syntax-related errors if you do not know what are you doing.

You could try to give the script a chance, it has lots of cool options!

Zexion

Well I'm sure the script is good and all, but SDK usually hurts more than it helps :\
It's compatibility is horrible and errors out even the plainest of scripts..

MarkHest

I can't do script edits. If I start meddlingin the script I'm just gona break it O_o
Can someone with scripting knowledge do it for me because I have no idea what I'm doing.

G_G

Quote from: gameus on April 03, 2013, 07:43:17 pm
Though you should check out Skill Separation in Tons of Add-ons. See if that'll do what you need.

And if not, then I'll see what I can do about that script.

MarkHest

The Skill Separation in Tons of Addons wasn't compatible with the Easy Overdrive System so it gives me errors. I tested the Skill Separation script in a new project to see how it worked but I didn't understand anything of it. The script just deletes all the spells of my actor and leaves it blank. Even if I teach the actor a new spell, it won't be there. No new skill option in the battle menu, no skills, no nothing ._.

Also, that script that BetaGod sent me uses SDK doesn't it? Isn't that gona cause me a lot of problem?

BetaGod

Yes, it uses SDK. And yes, it might cause you LOTS of problems. I actually do not recommend SDK but it won't hurt you to give it a try  :???: Maybe it could work fine...

Blizzard

Quote from: MarkHest on April 10, 2013, 11:53:07 pm
The Skill Separation in Tons of Addons wasn't compatible with the Easy Overdrive System so it gives me errors.

What exactly didn't work? Both need to use dummy elements, but apart from that I don't seen any problems.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

MarkHest

April 11, 2013, 07:02:48 am #11 Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 07:04:10 am by MarkHest
@Lord Blizz:
When I go into the Overdrive Menu to select my overdrive skill in battle it gives me this error:

Script 'Tons of Addons 2' line 3961: NoMethodError occured.

undefined method 'size' for nil:NilClass

Even if I get this to work, will it really give me separate skill windows to chose from in battle? As I already stated I couldn't get things to work on a new project either. No error, the script was just confusing as it has no explaination in it.

Blizzard

April 11, 2013, 09:14:27 am #12 Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 11:14:44 am by Blizzard
I'll take a look at that.

EDIT: I fixed Tons and EOS.

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

MarkHest

So I'll just download em both? Also, can you put up an explanation on the Skill Separation Script, or did you do it already?

Blizzard

Yes, download them both.
What kind of explanation? I thought I already added the instructions.

MarkHest

April 11, 2013, 11:18:05 pm #15 Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 11:19:31 pm by MarkHest
QuoteWhat kind of explanation? I thought I already added the instructions.

Well, what the script does and how it works. It is really confusing to me because when I try to make it work I get nothing but problem. Here I'll show you through screenshots.

Learning a Separate Skill: ShowHide

Learning a non-separate skill: ShowHide

Learning an overdrive: ShowHide

Taking a look at the script: ShowHide

In battle. Everything looks the same.: ShowHide

Skill Window. Nothing is there, even though the character learned it.: ShowHide

Overdrive Skill Window with 1 overdrive: ShowHide

Overdrive Skill Window with 2 Overdrives. They're on the same line.: ShowHide

Overdrive Skill Window with 2 Overdrives, demonstrating cursor: ShowHide

I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong...

Blizzard

1. Did you assign element 25 to the normal skills?
2. Overdrives use the default skill window and are not affected by SSS.
3. While testing and fixing their compatibility, the problem with the whole line being selected only happened when I didn't have the newest Tons or the newest EOS. Are you sure that you updated both scripts? Tons is v7.65 and EOS is v2.21.

MarkHest

It's not looking very well. I finaly got the Skill Separation Script to work properly but it's not what I want so I won't use it.
The script that BetaGod showed me looks very promising but when I look through it I don't understand anything that's happening in the scripts, I might need someone to tell me how to properly use it. Also it uses SDK and if I'm going to use this script I need someone to remove the SDK required parts because I'd rather not break my game with it o_o

If anyone know any other script that I can try then please tell me. This is actually very important for my game.

G_G

I finished the script, however, I wanted to see if you were alright if I released this to the public. If not, I'll just PM it to you.

MarkHest

You don't have to ask me to release it! xD wtf man, you made the script, you can do whatever you like with it :D
I'm excited to see how it works!