OMG? I think I just disproved religion in my head...? (Don't rage me) D:

Started by Zexion, May 04, 2013, 03:12:26 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Zexion

First a note to readers: I ramble at night, that is all.

To be specific Catholism/Christianity, or any religion that says god created the world in seven days or something along those lines.

I was thinking...IF there is a god, he would obviously have created the whole universe, right? Well if it took him seven days to create Earth, a planet of relatively small size, imagine how many days it took to create Jupitar, or the sun or bigger planets? Now, in our milky way there are literally thousands of planets. Though it has not been proven, the universe has more than a few galaxies other than our own. Each with thosands of planets totaling probably billions of planets in the universe. IF god created each of these planets, and it took him seven days to make Earth, a medium sized planet. That would mean it would take him AT LEAST
1 * #of billions of planets/stars/asteroids. I say 1 just because I don't think that asteroids/stars/tiny planets would take as much time as earth, so 1 is fair. Keep in mind that the universe is only a certain amount of years old. If god really created us all, that would mean he would have to have been alive longer than the universe in which he lives. Therefore impossible?

I still believe we are all just part of a "Giant Micro-chip"

Blizzard

That's actually an interesting argument. The thing is that creationists don't follow an actual line of logic but simply adapt to the situation as they see fit. e.g. They can see the moon and the sun so they aren't going to deny their existence, but as for other planets, they can simply say that these planets are made up and don't actually exist.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Lobstrosity

Good argument, Zexion.

Also, I'm a creationist but I don't deny the existence of other planets, galaxies, etc. D:
Don't come any closer. I'm armed... with SCIENCE!

Zexion

You know, the funny thing is, this came to me while I was studying for sociology last night haha. I can't completely deny a higher power, but I don't belive that god as I know it is real. Religion is a nice thing, but I just find it harder to believe in as I age...

Spoiler: ShowHide
Also, this could just be the mexican in me, but I want corn in a cup :shaft:

Seltzer Cole

Quote from: Zexion on May 04, 2013, 03:12:26 am
First a note to readers: I ramble at night, that is all.

To be specific Catholism/Christianity, or any religion that says god created the world in seven days or something along those lines.

I was thinking...IF there is a god, he would obviously have created the whole universe, right? Well if it took him seven days to create Earth, a planet of relatively small size, imagine how many days it took to create Jupitar, or the sun or bigger planets? Now, in our milky way there are literally thousands of planets. Though it has not been proven, the universe has more than a few galaxies other than our own. Each with thosands of planets totaling probably billions of planets in the universe. IF god created each of these planets, and it took him seven days to make Earth, a medium sized planet. That would mean it would take him AT LEAST
1 * #of billions of planets/stars/asteroids. I say 1 just because I don't think that asteroids/stars/tiny planets would take as much time as earth, so 1 is fair. Keep in mind that the universe is only a certain amount of years old. If god really created us all, that would mean he would have to have been alive longer than the universe in which he lives. Therefore impossible?

I still believe we are all just part of a "Giant Micro-chip"

Bro you are way off.
The exact line from the bible is "In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth". It also states that "and the earth was without form and empty" meaning lifeless. Then goes on to explain that he created light etc and that he created the stars "And appointed them God in the heavens to give light on the earth" so your theory is debunked lmao. Read the entire Genesis or the entire bible for that matter before trying to disprove things. One cannot be sure or claim a belief is real until one has understood every belief and gains an understanding of everything one does not believe in. BTW for the record, I am not even a christian and even I know Genesis lol. =P (Not trying to badger you)

Also I would like to point out that 7 days is to not be taken literally 24 hour periods. According to the scriptures, we are still living in the seventh day. Gods time or the time the bible refers to as 7 days is not time as we personally know it.

Edits : The thing I find most interesting is that it says "The HEAVENS and THEN the EARTH". This means that he created the universe as we know it first, then earth was indeed last. Especially since he appointed stars gods of the heavens, which i think is a reference to the rest of the universe being "heaven" seeing as it is filled with the stars.

(Sorry i can ramble religion all day lol...studied many religions as a hobby)
You know you play video games to much when you put sunglasses on and whisper "Plus 10 Appearance"

If at first you don't succeed, call it version 1.0

Blizzard

You still have to make a difference between creationists and other Christians. When I was still a Christian, I wasn't a creationist. 7 days never meant for me literal 7 days, neither did it mean that each day had the same length. Creationists on the other hand take everything in the Bible as literal. They still think that the world isn't older than 6000-something years. e.g. According to them, dinosaur fossils were put there to "test our faith". I'm not judging, but lots of their stuff isn't based on any logic at all. They're all like "Somebody wrote it so it must be true." and that's why nobody can take them seriously.

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

winkio

The bible creation myth should not be taken any more seriously than the Inca creation myth (where a goddess is impregnated by a ball of feathers, and later by a comb, and gives birth to the earth), or any creation myth for that matter.  Anybody adult who takes creation stories literally is unable to distinguish between reality and language.

Lobstrosity

Wait... There's a difference between being a Creationist and a Christian? I had no idea. I do not take everything in the bible literally.
Don't come any closer. I'm armed... with SCIENCE!

Blizzard

Yes, creationists are hardcore. The world was created in 7 days and Earth is 6000+ years old, that's what the believe. Other Christians only see god as the creator and some even agree with the evolution theory since it makes sense. The viewpoint is that god is so awesome and almighty, he simply could have made evolution work out the way he wanted.

Seltzer Cole

Quote from: winkio on May 07, 2013, 03:01:02 am
The bible creation myth should not be taken any more seriously than the Inca creation myth (where a goddess is impregnated by a ball of feathers, and later by a comb, and gives birth to the earth), or any creation myth for that matter.  Anybody adult who takes creation stories literally is unable to distinguish between reality and language.

Still fun to take it literally for the sake of debating it until all you are left with is "This entire belief has to be bullshit..." lol. But like they say, religious people are like drunkards who are afraid to face life sober.  :naughty:

The funniest "myth" as you say that I have heard is when these 2 mormons came by my home one day and tried convincing my brother that when you die, you become a star and can have sex with other stars. LOL I haven't personally studied the mormon religion but wtf!? I thought mormons were a form of Christianity but they must be extreme. Perhaps a mormon here can help explain this to me because those 2 guys who were here were not capable of making sense.
You know you play video games to much when you put sunglasses on and whisper "Plus 10 Appearance"

Blizzard

Just watch the episode of South Park where they mock Mormons and everything will be clear.

Seltzer Cole

Quote from: Blizzard on May 07, 2013, 04:46:35 am
Just watch the episode of South Park where they mock Mormons and everything will be clear.

lolol I youtubed it and wow... DUMB DUMB DUMB DUMB DUMB!!! lol if that is really how the Mormon religion was started then just wow...

Blizzard

They are obviously being satiric, but yeah, something very close along those lines.

Zexion

I don't know guys, but for me personally, I don't think any god really created the earth. The only reason I even slightly believe in a higher power is because people throughout history have believed in religion. That makes me feel as though it had to come from somewhere, the belief in a god that is, and it's what keeps me from completely disowning a religion.

Blizzard

Each religion does have their origin, that's true. And this is exactly the same reason why I do believe: It's my choice to believe. I swore off Christianity because there are a few central beliefs and customs that I don't believe in so I simply think that I don't have the right to call myself a Christian anymore. But I still believe that there is a creator and it's the most basic belief possible. No fancy bullshit, I just believe that there is an entity that started this (the entire universe, billions of years ago) and that's it.

Of course you are entitled to believe whatever you want, too. If you don't want to believe in particular religion or simply a creator, that's perfectly fine.