What steps do you take?

Started by Seltzer Cole, May 11, 2013, 11:41:18 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Seltzer Cole

Hey everyone! I was curious as to what steps, or maybe I should say 'process', you take in order to achieve game completion towards whatever game project you are working on.

I myself usually start by plotting out the basic storyline of the game and figuring out how the storyline will begin and eventually end. Then amassing all of the tile-sheets/icons needed and possibly even some tunes. After mapping I move on to plugging events/scripts. Then finish by making sure everything is tested and perfected. Usually I run into issues since I love to continually add features into my game or even side type stuff such as side quests or farming/mining and all this bull until I am so distracted from the game itself that it turns into something I don't even like anymore...  :^_^': Usually my game never reaches a finishing state and I always get stuck on creating icons/character/tilesheets since I love to make that sort of stuff from scratch.

Just curious as to how other people do it.
You know you play video games to much when you put sunglasses on and whisper "Plus 10 Appearance"

If at first you don't succeed, call it version 1.0

Zexion

I don't think I've ever gotten to actually making the story line other than the one from like 3 years ago. I do actually write stuff out but it never gets actually developed in my game. I have been trying for a while to get all systems I need before I go on to graphics, and then finally storyline/eventing. I have never really gotten much more than a 5 minute demo playable. I am a lot better at scripting now and am capable of making whatever I need which has allowed me to move on to graphics finally :P

Short:
Scripts/systems >> Graphics >> Maps >> Story >> Eventing

ThallionDarkshine

I generally start with figuring out a storyline for at least the first portion of the game. Then I just work on essentially all parts of the project simultaneously. I configure some of the items in the database and realize that with all the fish sprites I have, I can make a fishing system. Then I start playtesting and realize that I hate the RTP menus and stuff, so I remake those. I start mapping, get bored, and set up animations in the database.

So basically, I make a storyline, and then do everything else at once (probably why I never finished a game).

KK20

Subject/Theme, Genre, What makes this game unique from others like it?, Storyline and characters (if necessary), Sketches and Designs, Lots of notes in notebooks, Program, Get lazy, Come up with new project.

Other Projects
RPG Maker XP Ace  Upgrade RMXP to RMVXA performance!
XPA Tilemap  Tilemap rewrite with many features, including custom resolution!

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: 8310-1917-5318
Discord: KK20 Tyler#8901

Join the CP Discord Server!

Seltzer Cole

You know you play video games to much when you put sunglasses on and whisper "Plus 10 Appearance"

If at first you don't succeed, call it version 1.0