FL Studio and your favorite /Generator/ :D

Started by Tazero, July 07, 2013, 11:51:20 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Tazero

What is your favorite STOCK FL Studio Generator/Synth etcetc?
I personally have found a love for 3xOSC :D It's so nice to know what the knobs do now  :facepalm: Ha....ha...ha... /foreverStupid

If you were a fish...

Blizzard

I never really liked 3xOSC because it would always generated distinct sounds. I always liked TS404 until I learned how to use Sytrus. Now Sytrus is my alpha and omega as far as Synths are concerned. I still prefer Wasp for Basslines and Acid synths over Sytrus, but that's only because they are much easier to make in Wasp than Sytrus.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Tazero

To be honest I think the Cerbera Saw in Sytrus is the kind of sound I usually go for when using 3xOsc but With the simple (11?) knobs I can modify it so it can have another sound I want in it :D Maybe sytrus will be what I try to conquer next >.>

If you were a fish...

Blizzard

Sytrus is really hard, but worth it. It took me 5 days, each day a few hours of experimentation to figure out how everything works.

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

exile360

Honestly I barely ever use stock synths within FL Studio, but if I do, it's 3xOsc. At first glance it seems useless and way too basic, but you can actually do a lot with it, and I feel that working with such a basic synth is very educational in terms of understanding how synthesis works altogether.

Tazero

If you were a fish...

Blizzard

July 07, 2013, 04:04:08 pm #6 Last Edit: July 07, 2013, 04:05:12 pm by Blizzard
When you use 2 waveforms and start fine tuning their pitch, you will notice how it suddenly starts to sound very differently. This is because of the interference of the waveforms, another waveform is actually generated as a result. A similar effect would be if you have two pure sines of the same frequency but inverted phases. If you summed up those sines, the result would be a flat line, basically silence. This is the base for everything. But there are 2 more things that you can do. One is ring modulation (RM) and the other is frequency modulation (FM). RM is basically that one wave form multiplies the other and FM does the same but in the frequency domain. It does not multiply the amplitude but rather the frequency. I once saw a tutorial on this on Youtube that explained it very well. I'll try to dig it out.
This is basically what works for most synths. Once you figure that out (and what detune is and how it's done), you have 80% of what you need. The rest is for special purposes.

EDIT: Found it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4OWsez10Zg

Tazero

If you were a fish...

Blizzard

Also, a lot of the "awesome" sounding stuff uses additional effects such as Unison (generates multiple waves with slight pitch differences, first tab of Sytrus) and then in the FX tab you have chorus, delay and reverb while in the 3 FIL tabs you have preprocessing in form of cut, envelope and resonance, most of which you should already be familiar with from other generators. You can also chain these filters so that FIL1 sends it output to FIL2 and so on.

Tazero

Ohh the wonders of FM/RM and making REALLY distorted sounding guitars..already better than slayer :D

If you were a fish...