Majora's Mask - 3 Day Challenge

Started by Blizzard, May 18, 2013, 01:31:34 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Blizzard

May 18, 2013, 01:31:34 pm Last Edit: May 18, 2013, 01:32:39 pm by Blizzard
Those of you familiar with The Legend of Zelda - Majora's Mask know what the 3 Day Challenge is (also referred to as the 6 Day Challenge since the actual first 3 days you have to spend as a Deku Scrub). I've watched a couple of videos of some guy actually doing this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2cwJu_Vvp8&list=PLA3D8FE36217D08DE

Interesting enough, he did reached Clock Tower at 8:36 PM on the second day which means he barely took more than a day and a half (obviously with slowed down time). I always loved MM for its rich a different feel than other Zelda games. A 3 Day Challenge always sounded like way too much for me. But after watching this guy, it doesn't seem so impossible anymore. Sure, I would be playing using an emulator and I'd probably not do some of the crazy stuff he did to speed up (well, not THAT crazy, but pretty impressive that he thought of it), but I'd still like to try. The only real sticking point would be to make it to Romani Ranch before 6 PM on the first day to get Epona (he managed to get there at 3 PM-ish). Everything else doesn't seem to be much of a problem as far as I noticed. So I might actually try the 3 Day Challenge at some point. If I do, I'll be sure to let you know how it went. I'll be obviously using this playthrough as a reference, especially since it cuts down research time of a few necessary things and the order in which to do things in order to get it done.

I already did the 3 Hearts Challenge in Ocarina of Time on my actual N64. IDK how many times I've played through that game, I just know that at one point (years ago) I just wanted to try to beat the game without collecting any Pieces of Heart or any Heart Containers. I did use bottles and fairies obviously, but it was still a nice challenge.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Zexion

I've actually never done a full playthrough of the game, but it is my favorite of zelda games aswell.

SBR*

If you like this sort of thing, you should probably check out http://www.twitch.tv/ennopp112/, http://www.twitch.tv/goronguy/ and http://www.twitch.tv/sva16162/. They do awesome Majora's Mask speedruns. You might be interested in doing things similar to those :).

Blizzard

May 20, 2013, 08:15:15 am #3 Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 08:17:54 am by Blizzard
I haven't watched them, but I bet they are too hardcore for me. xD I'm not interested in setting a new world record in MM speedruns, I just want a good and interesting challenge.

EDIT: Since I am playing the whole thing on an emulator and a keyboard, I wonder if there's a point in not using save states. Sometimes the camera will cause me problems since I have neither smooth-paced movement nor precise directions (I have obviously only 8 directions). Maybe I should just buy a gamepad. :X

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

SBR*

They're definitely worth a watch if you like the game, though, whether you yourself want to speedrun or not.

Tazero

If you were a fish...

Blizzard

Tazero

She completed it Idk the time but she did it o-o

Another fun thing is to get EVERY mask in game and item to max quantity and then beat it :P

If you were a fish...

Blizzard

Yeah, but you can't do it within the 3 day challenge, because it requires hacking because you need to be in several places at the same time for some of the events.

Tazero

Well, not in the 3-day Challenge but it would be awesome if that were possible :D

If you were a fish...

WhiteRose

I love this kind of thing. I did a low-percent run on Super Metroid a few years ago, which is somewhat in the same boat. I'd vote for using savestates - it will make things a lot less frustrating for you, and help you to enjoy the challenge. Good luck, Blizz. :)

Blizzard

I will probably do this on a Sunday or something when I find some time.

Tazero

If you were a fish...

Blizzard

July 24, 2013, 02:26:45 am #13 Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 06:05:33 pm by Blizzard
That's actually a great idea. I think I will. I'll do a segmented run (like that other guy) so I don't have to use game states.

EDIT: I'll probably start when I get my new gamepad. Playing Zelda on the keyboard isn't really a problem, but a run like this requires maximum precision and the fewer unkown variables, the better.

Blizzard

August 14, 2013, 03:32:45 am #14 Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 06:25:08 am by Blizzard
Alright, I got my new gamepad and I'll start playing a bit today. I'll first do a complete 100% playthrough for my own amusement while taking notes, then I'll put a route together while researching the fastest way to do stuff and finally I'll start a new game and do the run. I'll record it and put it on Youtube.

EDIT: Just letting you know that I will be playing the game using bluedart's texture pack (which is derived from the texture pack made by mdta and Djipi). It has hi-res textures and even though some parts look a bit too much in cel-shaded style (and too bright for MM's gloomy atmosphere), it's still a nice refreshment from the default low-res textures. I'll probably make the videos using the same texture pack. I saw another texture pack as well (which looked a lot better), but it's not even close to finished so I won't bother.

Here's a review of the texture pack if you are interested: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CZgEcetD1g