[XP] Is Blizz-ABS causing the lag?

Started by Vexus, May 20, 2013, 04:18:07 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Vexus

May 20, 2013, 04:18:07 am Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 04:20:55 am by Vexus
I don't know if this is the best place to post this but since I'm using blizz abs it could be held into account.

Anyway on my project alive once I leave the hospital and go outside, the map takes a while to load and even opening/closing menus takes a few seconds to function. I don't know what exactly is the cause, so I'll name all points underneath this message that might have any influence.

1 - The Map is not big it's 45x44.
2 - I'm using a big big tileset (256 x 24448) that might add some time to load but it's a little excessive when somnium had a tileset of comparable size but the map was on 200x200 and didn't lag like this.
3 - There are no enemies/npcs in this map only events. You can interact with some events and texts shows.
4 - At first I thought it might be the day/night script I use as it has a feature to create lights out of objects with a nice effect on the tint of the map but removing it the map still takes some time to load.
5 - Only other script that I doubt is involving on the slowdown of the map is the footsteps script as I don't have performance issues inside the hospital and it's being used there too.

So I don't know what is causing this performance hit, either there are too many events, the tileset is big to load, it's blizzabs involuntary, the day/night script or something else I can't get.

I know by posting this you can't exactly understand or find what is the cause but I am not going to post an open demo of my project alive to the public when there are many custom scripts I'd like they remained exclusive at least for now. (Spent so many time designing the layouts and friend helping on scripting parts etc)

Thanks
Current Project/s:

Zexion

Well, the tileset is definitely a factor. 24,448 is HUGE. Try changing the tileset in the editor, just for testing purposes, and you will notice a dramatic difference. (Or you should, anyway.) I've had huge tilesets which caused lag and I never thought much of it until I started using smaller tilesets. If you really need a giant tileset, you might want to consider looking into a different way to map :P Otherwise, it's better to just have several small tiles.

Vexus

Wish it was as simple as that but I already tried using a small tileset it still has performance issues :/
Current Project/s:

KK20

I noticed that with TONS there was some performance issues with drawing text and/or gradient bars. If your project is still the same as the one you gave me, it might be one of those BlizzABS add-on/fixes scripts you have.

Other Projects
RPG Maker XP Ace  Upgrade RMXP to RMVXA performance!
XPA Tilemap  Tilemap rewrite with many features, including custom resolution!

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: 8310-1917-5318
Discord: KK20 Tyler#8901

Join the CP Discord Server!

LiTTleDRAgo

probably your map is too big?
since the map is only event (not npcs / enemys) you can try to split the map into smaller parts and combining it with Blizzard's Continuous Maps

Vexus

May 20, 2013, 04:30:35 pm #5 Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 05:48:30 pm by Vexus
Map is 45x44 hardly big but I'll try your suggestion KK20 thanks :)

[Edit]

Nope no change :/

I only have 2 addons/fixes with blizz abs one is kinda useless as in the game no one jumps but the other helps the proximity icon script of blizz to work with no graphic events.

If you want I can provide you with a full demo instead of a limited one KK20 if you want to try and find what it might be the culprit.
Current Project/s:

KK20

Alright, I'll give it a shot. I've tried playing with the demo you provided for me, but I couldn't find any cause of lag. When you walk from the hospital to outside, are there any script calls in the events?

Other Projects

Vexus

1 autorun event that proceeds with the story and updates the diary then nothing else. (This happens once when you are able to get out of the hospital, said event page then turns action from autorun with a switch call)

Anyway I'm uploading it right now and will pm you soon.

Thanks for the help.
Current Project/s:

LiTTleDRAgo

can you print screen your autorun event?

KK20

May 21, 2013, 03:06:22 pm #9 Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 03:37:21 pm by KK20
It has to do with loading the Spriteset_Map. I put a 'print' underneath the line

@mapback = Spriteset_Map.new

in your custom Scene_Menu and it took a while for the window to pop up outside the building, but came up instantly inside. Now I have to see what scripts are affecting Spriteset_Map.

I'm not sure if the large number of events could be the problem. Outside has at least 100 while the inside has 4.
Mmmm, yep events have some contribution to the lag, specifically the dynamic lighting system. After I removed all the light sources, load times were significantly faster. Now I know where to look.

Quote4 - At first I thought it might be the day/night script I use as it has a feature to create lights out of objects with a nice effect on the tint of the map but removing it the map still takes some time to load.

That post was very misleading. When I moved 'DNS' under Main, the load times were so much faster. There is still a slight lag compared to being inside, so I must attribute that to the large amount of events.

Other Projects

Vexus

That is weird as first thing I did was remove the script and still had lag but now placing it under main loaded the map normally, even menu popped up instantly.

Man this sucks I can't switch to another light script now :x

I'll try and reduce the amount of light sources tough truth be told there are more lights inside the hospital then outside lol....

Thanks for spotting the problem.
Current Project/s: