Your Life Here

Started by Blizzard, May 24, 2013, 03:45:38 am

Previous topic - Next topic

PhoenixFire

So, a lot has happened since my last update in here..

Over the past several weeks, I've been talking to more and more with tSwitch, and not only did we find out that we both live in MA, but we're also fairly close by each other! On top of that, she works in Boston. The more we talked, the more we found out about this fact, and as it turns out, her boss is always looking for people to refer professional contacts for possible job openings :D So, she passed that along to me, with his name and e-mail address, and within a week of sending him my resume, he shot back a message to schedule an interview, which I just had last week. Over the past week, we have messaged back and forth with some details, but as it stands, I now officially work as a junior web developer, on contract for two months, and then becoming a permanent employee! This is they type of job I have wanted since I was about 13, so, it's kind of a big deal for me :)

Quote from: Subsonic_Noise on July 01, 2011, 02:42:19 amNext off, how to create a first person shooter using microsoft excel.

Quote from: Zeriab on September 09, 2011, 02:58:58 pm<Remember when computers had turbo buttons?

tSwitch

I hope you get brought on full time, here's to a solid evaluation period!

FCF3a A+ C- D H- M P+ R T W- Z- Sf RLCT a cmn+++ d++ e++ f h+++ iw+++ j+ p sf+
Follow my project: MBlok | Find me on: tSwitch.us | Twitter | Tumblr

Blizzard

Hahaha, awesome. :) I'm glad things are working out for you, DS.

I also have some updates. I've started going to the gym again about a month ago and this weeks I started going 3 times a week (Mod, Wed, Fri). IDK if I mentioned if, but due to the fact that one co-worker at Cateia is a speaker at the Unity course held in our city, we got 4 slots for the course for free and starting this week, I am attending that Unity course. The first two lessons were quite interesting. It's from 17h to 21h on Tue and Thu (just when I get home about 22:30, I already have to go to sleep). So my free time is almost reduced to zero, lol!

I will also be speaking at Reboot at the end of April (the topic will be Smart Planning in Multi-Platform Game Development) so I have about 6 weeks left for make a presentation for that. It's kind of a big deal since it's the biggest game development conference in South-Eastern Europe and the Adriatic area.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

winkio

I've been doing job interviews for that past few days, and they are going extremely well.  My resume looks a little weird with the Mech Eng degree and a bunch of Comp Sci skills underneath, but once I get an interview, it's easy to blow their expectations out of the water.  It's looking like I will be able to get a software development position in the pay range that I want by the end of the month, so I'm pretty happy about that (mostly because I will get my own place and be independent again).

I've also worked out a rough idea of what I'm going to do for the next few years, but it involves a startup business idea that I need to keep secret for now.

Blizzard

I've been a bit overworked for the past 2 weeks since I was pressing to finish off and release our new Daygames iOS game. I've had trouble sleeping in the past few nights (and I missed gym 3 times), but that's now over, I'm back on track. That Unity course  + gym is taking its toll.
And I can't wait for the Reboot Conference at the end of April. <3

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

G_G

I'm just posting this to blow off some steam. I'm not looking for sympathy.I don't want any advice on the subject, I don't want anyone to feel bad or say anything. I just need to type this up before I end up taking my anger out and hurting someone.

My girlfriend and I have been renting out a room from my grandma's house for almost a year now. I'm not gonna lie, we're pretty comfortable and the only bills have are rent, car loan, and car insurance. My grandma offered us a job at Burger King, she's the General Manager there. We were making pretty good money. I ended up walking out a couple months ago (completely different story, I won't get into it) and have since gotten a new job. My girlfriend is getting tired of Burger King, so I suggested to start looking for another job like I did. Her response? She doesn't think she'll make it anywhere else, she doesn't know what kind of job she'd be good at or how much money she'll make. This kind of response really irked me just for the fact that, no one really knows this until they go out and actually start looking for a job. So for the past couple of months, I've been trying to take her out and look at places. She absolutely refuses to go in anywhere else and even ask for an application. This is her normal behavior, when something life changing comes up, she gets scared and doesn't want to risk anything or even try to take a chance for a better life.

An opportunity came up today. My dad found a really nice house for my girlfriend and me to live in. It's on a "contract to deed" where we pay a payment every month for 10 years and the house becomes ours. If we didn't or couldn't make payments, we simply move out of the house with no strings attached. No giant ass bank loan to worry about for the rest of our lives.

However, this would require us to move back to the city we originally left, find new jobs and keep up on a few extra bills we're not used to. And to note, this isn't something we'd be doing on our own. My dad said he'd help us out for a few months until we did get jobs and got into a routine we'd be used to. Her response? Pretty much the same thing as before, instead of just "her" it's now "us". She doesn't think I'll be able to find a job either and that I just got lucky when I found a new job after I had quit Burger King. I'm screaming "what the fuck" in my head right now. Making me feel like I'm not good enough for her or that there's no way I'd be able to support her. She won't put any faith in herself or apparently me. I've tried and tried and tried to talk to her. This is just one of the occasions where this has happened. How can she expect to make it through life if she doesn't work for it? If she doesn't work for the goals she wants or won't risk anything or even try to make progress? Because this entire year we've been living with my grandma for dirt fucking cheap, we should have been saving our money for a new car or a house or something to progress ourselves through life. But instead of taking advantage of this golden, once in a lifetime opportunity, we blew our money every fucking paycheck we blew our money on shit we didn't need.

Granted, we'd always pay our bills first, but the money after that? It usually went to our leisurely life style (or paying overdraft fees in our bank because we got a wee bit carried away occasionally, we've since closed our bank account because they were taking a lot of money away from us, but I digress). For the past couple of months I've been trying to save some money to get a better car or to fix the one up we have now. I dunno how we've been so lucky, but we have another golden opportunity to jump start our lives. We'd be getting a house of our own with very few stipulations and she doesn't think we'll make it. I asked her how long she expected to live with my grandma. She said until we could get on our own. This... this statement is what set me off. What the hell do you think is hitting you right in the face? A chance to get on our own! I lost it and finally told her that she's too scared to do anything in life. She has no faith or will power to make anything out of herself or accomplish her goals. Being the extremely sensitive and insecure girl she is, she started crying, realizing that whatever I do next could potentially screw everything up. So I did the sensible thing, stormed off to calm down and blow some steam and here I am.

Rant over. Again, I don't care if this even gets read, but I'm not looking for sympathy, advice, or even a "hang in there" kinda thing. I needed to type this up to blow some steam. I appreciate the fact that I'm a part of this community that let's people calm down and relax. And sorry if I haven't been completely activate or contributing much of anything to the forums. There's been a lot on my plate and there still is. This is only one of the problems that I'm going through and I find it extremely difficult to juggle everything at once (not to mention the depression I've sent myself in). And I've tried and tried to keep my personal problems away from you guys, I don't like pushing my problems onto other people and I feel bad enough burdening you guys with my other problems and not really chiming in on anyone else's lives.

Anyways, thanks guys. Hope you're days are going a lot better than mine and sorry if it isn't.

Ryex

The truth is the truth no matter how hard it hurts, Only those who truly love you will give you the hard truth. You did the right thing G_G things like hit need to be said. I've no idea how your going to go about it but you now have the responsibility to try build her back up, you've told here her flaw now you have to help her over come it. But don't keep trying for ever. you can waste your life that way.
I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

Blizzard

Ryex pretty much said it already. Most people are like that, most people won't go out of their comfort zone. I can only add that I personally wouldn't want to be a with a girl who is like that. This isn't an advice, but you should think about the whole thing with you and her. As Ryex said, you could waste your entire life on trying to convince her to do something more. Eh, this entire post still sounds like advice.

G_G

Thanks you two, and sorry, advice is fine, I just... I was extremely upset yesterday and I necessarily didn't really know how to word what I was aiming for. But no, I mean I really do appreciate you guys, I was just didn't want people feeling sympathetic for me.

Blizzard

I completely understand.

G_G

It's official. I talked to the owners of that house and they'll give me a month to move back, find a job, and get a deposit paid and I can move in. I've decided to move back regardless if my girlfriend wants to or not. If this breaks us up, so be it. I want a house to call my own and I want to start my life. I'm not passing up this golden opportunity.

Ryex

sounds like a plan G_G i wish you the best of luck.

On my side of the earth's crust similar things a happening (in regards to housing at least). I've met a couple of great guys this year and we collectively decided to get a place off campus and be roommates. We've put down a deposit on a 2 bedroom duplex in town and will be splitting the rent 3 ways over the summer and into the school year. it's actually WAY cheaper this way than living on campus. I don't foresee any problems with them as roommates but at the same time I'm a little nervous. before now I've just been assigned a room ans roommate by the housing department and dealt with what I got, didn't care either way if it worked out. Now that I've actually chosen who I want to live with I seems to be a bigger deal. well that and It's a year lease so If I some how manage to fail I'll be stuck with the rent anyway.
I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

G_G

Wanna know how to get out of a lease? Get evicted. My friend Preston didn't want to live in his apartment anymore but he didn't want to pay for the last three months of rent so what he did was move in 4 extra friends. People are going to notice that and complain to the landlord. He got a 2 weeks eviction noticed and ended up moving into a bigger, nicer apartment.

So if you fail and you can't afford the lease, just get evicted. Though you probably won't get your deposit back. And also, good luck to you as well. When I go to college, I'm gonna do my best to live off of campus. Ridiculously expensive (assuming I get this house I won't have to worry about that, but some colleges do require at least one year of on campus).

Ryex

no you see, the thing is that all three of our names are on the lease. and me failing does not mean that they fail. I like these guys enough that I don't want to stick them with my 1/3 of the rent by screwing up my life.

G_G

Ah, sorry, completely misinterpreted that. I'm sure you'll do fine. And covering 1/3 rent is a lot easier than the whole lease.

Blizzard

Yeah, I think both of you will do just fine.

On my own end, I'm a bit overworked and exhausted from everything. My membership at the gym has expired, but all that extra time is now going into preparing for the presentation in 10 days.

Apple rejected our newest Daygames game due to possible copyright problem. But it was justified. Our "Aladdin" does look way too similar to Disney's Aladdin. xD our graphics designer (which is my ex) will hopefully be able to edit them until the end of April.

At the Unity course I was working on a controller script similar to EDGE Extended for fun. But the last time I had ideas for a new gameplqy based on the same control scheme. So it's likely that I'll just keep it and make a new Daygames game from that. xD

Also, I'm taking a 11day vacation at the beginning of May. Kiki, Teo and me want to work on yet another Daygames game.

Blizzard

Tomorrow's the presentation. I'm off to sleep now. Wish me luck!

PhoenixFire

You'll do great Blizz! Though good luck anyways!!!
Quote from: Subsonic_Noise on July 01, 2011, 02:42:19 amNext off, how to create a first person shooter using microsoft excel.

Quote from: Zeriab on September 09, 2011, 02:58:58 pm<Remember when computers had turbo buttons?

Blizzard

April 26, 2014, 08:03:52 pm #198 Last Edit: April 26, 2014, 08:27:05 pm by Blizzard
Hey, guys. I just wanted to left you know that I killed the room. After my presentation people were coming up to me and congratulating me on my presentation and telling me that I was the best so far (even after the guys from Quantic Dream and Square Enix, fuck yes!). Later on people were greeting me and I had no idea who those people were, lol! I guess I'm some kind of mini-celebrity in the casual and indie gamedev industry now.

Sadly my co-worker fucked up the entire recording thing and I have zero footage. But considering that this might just have been the best day of my life so far, I can forgive that. Don't worry, though. You might not be missing out after all. It's possible that the next time Cateia visits a conference, I will be there and I will simply do the same presentation.

G_G

Woo! Fuck yeah Blizzard. Congratulations, glad you killed it!