New Project by Daygames: Word Cloud World

Started by Blizzard, June 13, 2013, 06:10:04 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Blizzard

June 13, 2013, 06:10:04 am Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 04:04:22 pm by Blizzard
Topic outdated and locked. Check here for an updated topic: forum.chaos-project.com/index.php/topic,13638.0

old post: ShowHide
Ladies and gentleman, I am giving you a link to the new child that exited the crotch of Daygames which came into existence while we are waiting for Teo to finish the "planets" for King of Booze. The game so far is extremely simple. You fly around space, leave a message, die and reset to the start position. Give it a go, feel free to complain if something isn't working.

http://word-cloud-world.com

Also, like us on Facebook!

https://www.facebook.com/WordCloudWorld

Older post: ShowHide
Ladies and gentleman, I am giving you a link to the new child that exited the crotch of Daygames which came into existence while we are waiting for Teo to finish the "planets" for King of Booze. The game so far is extremely simple. You fly around space, leave a message, die and reset to the start position. Give it a go, feel free to complain if something isn't working and let us know if you have a better name than "Public WC".

(WC means toilet and we named it public toilet because people love to write stuff on walls in public toilets, too.)

http://chaos-project.com/wc/

Also notice that it's hosted here at CP in its current state.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Zexion

By WC, do you mean like a ... uhh toilet stall? Idk lol, but like a public toilet? Because I know that they are called water closets in other countries, so I'm just tryin' to connect the dots here :P

G_G

Quote(WC means toilet and we named it public toilet because people love to write stuff on walls in public toilets, too.)

Well that's what he said, right? lol

Blizzard

June 16, 2013, 03:30:51 am #3 Last Edit: June 16, 2013, 05:43:02 am by Blizzard
Yup, just like people write on the walls of public toilet. We might have a new name and domain later today if we all agree on the same name. And with all I mean Kiki and me since Teo wasn't involved in this project.

Also, I now have an actual reason to hate Javascript from the deepest depths of my black and dried up soul. After spending 15-20 hours with it, I only wish to go into a small hole and die crying.

EDIT: There were also new features added such as text color and blinking stars and some bugs fixes and other fixes to prevent cheating. You can also play using a mouse now.

EDIT: We have a stable version running with it's own hosting now: http://www.word-cloud-world.com The old CP link will redirect you to the new site.
We have also renamed it to Word Cloud World which is ironically abbreviated WCW, very similar to its working title name.

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Ryex

Blizz, I feel your pain. I've done some advanced work With javascript for my Web Programming class (not technically part of the class but I went above and beyond) I'll just say this. Javascript can do some crazy as shit and you have to be extremely careful with closures. in a language where

Code: javascript
var that = this;

is a viable solution for maintaining context in callbacks,
you have to keep you shit strait.
I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

Blizzard

WCW is now fully ready and released (version 0.2.0 that is). You can like us on Facebook, too! https://www.facebook.com/WordCloudWorld

Zexion

Mark my words, I shall hold the record soon enough!

Blizzard

We got featured on vsauce3 and now the game exploded and people keep leaving more and more messages like crazy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zux_GebV374&feature=youtu.be&t=4m45s

G_G

OMG that's so fucking awesome!!!! <3

Holy fuck it's so laggy from all the text. xD

Blizzard

July 17, 2013, 09:39:25 am #9 Last Edit: July 17, 2013, 06:02:34 pm by Blizzard
Yeah, I'll do a few things as soon as I get from work to make this work better.

EDIT: I optimized some code and now it doesn't lag THAT hard in the center anymore. Lol, it's a black hole of spam. We have over 18k messages right now and it keeps growing. It's nuts how much traffic already was wasted. We already spent 23 GB of our 100 GB quota, it's nuts.

Anyway, I also changed the start position to randomly pick one on the border of the rectangle (-5000,-5000,10000,10000) rather than (0,0). All hacker messages have been removed, but hacking is still possible. I'll fix that tomorrow.

Zexion

Btw, my message wasn't hacked :b idk if you removed it, but if anything a more appropriate term would be "botted".
I taped my down and right arrows down (or just down, i don't remember) and left it while I slept l0l

G_G

It would have been easier editing your cookies since your Ships X and Y position is saved locally lol.

Blizzard

@Zexion: I know. I checked the coordinates and the time required to get there seemed legit, but somebody else put more time into it, lol!

@gameus: I have a mechanism that prevents cheating through cookies. Just try and see what happens. ;) The cookies are only used so you can continue playing if you hit F5 or close your browser (and keep the cookie).

Though there still seems to be a way how people are able to hack since we do get a hacked message from time to time. And because of the new caching system to prevent server overusage, hacked messages are not removed returning players' PCs. I'll have to update the code on that.