[XP][VXA][ARC] Zexion's Ultimate Charset Templates [Development]

Started by Zexion, June 05, 2013, 09:07:24 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Zexion

Information

These charsets are the result of not liking any other charsets that are out there. I have found one that I've liked, but I lost it and I cannot find it anymore. This is what inspired me to make my own. The point of making this topic early is to recieve feedback on the animations and share ideas to help make a nice template for use. These are going to be animation heavy so if you are not a spriter, it might not be the best template for you.

Goals

I have plans to release several charsets each with certain poses that can be used. My goal is to have 3 age groups of sprites. This is because I understand that not every game will use an adult as the main character. I plan to make child, adult, and elder templates. Each will include several animations such as: Attack/Defend/Run/Sneak/Jump/Skill/Item/Dead
It will also include random poses that can be used in cutscenes. The random poses will depend on the age, but can include: Sitting/Pointing/Nealing/Flying/Throwing. It depends on what I feel can be used. All animations will be in 5x8 format & 5x4 format and once completed will be posted on a sheet. (Use my Movement & Animation script from the rmxp script database.) I will upload them to deviantART to ensure that they are never removed.

Downloads

As I have only just started, only previews will be shown until full animations are completed.
Male: ShowHide

Notes

Why are you doing this?
Like I mentioned, I have my own reason for needing a template. I also want to have more blizz-abs resources out there. This is also great practice for my pixel-art skills.
Are there plans to make armored and full character sprites?
As of right now, my only goals are the aforementioned. If I am still up to the challenge, I'd like to create my own character generator using VB6, as it's the only vb I have experience with. In that case I'd include shirts,pants,armours etc. all in a generator ready to go.

One last thing, wish me luck because this is now my new main project. Lol.

G_G

Good luck and Level++ :) This is something the community will definitely find useful.

Zexion

Thanks gameus! I'm half done with the next direction. It's a little hard because I suck at isometric, but I've gotta improve somehow :P
Spoiler: ShowHide

KK20

New 'main' project? So how's the game-making then?

I get the impression that the forward walking sprite looks like he is power-walking. Probably because the front of the body is always facing us rather than turning to the side slightly.

Best of luck in your progress! You will be CP's best spriter :D

Other Projects
RPG Maker XP Ace  Upgrade RMXP to RMVXA performance!
XPA Tilemap  Tilemap rewrite with many features, including custom resolution!

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: 8310-1917-5318
Discord: KK20 Tyler#8901

Join the CP Discord Server!

Zexion

Well the game making is part of the reason that I even started making these haha. I haven't had anymore problems while scripting, but I'm kinda tired of the whole kingdom hearts scene atm, which led me to starting a babs project, which led me to making this!
About the sprite, well he does turn his body a little bit, but maybe the colors don't have enough contrast? I honestly feel that he looks like he is power walking but only because of the arms lol.

KK20

Other Projects

Zexion

Finished the next animation, and tried fixing the arms on the first one. I really only edited the arm in the forward position. TBH I forgot to check the results before I uploaded lol. Oh well hope for the best. Also, I edited the colors a bit to show more contrast.

KK20

I don't know why, but I get the impression that the isometric guys are walking with their chests sticking out or are leaning back. Also the arm farthest from us looks rubbery when it moves behind the guy.

But these are really nice looking. Color changes helped a lot. Keep pumping them out!

Other Projects

Zexion

To be honest, I see the exact same thing with them leaning back and with the far arm, but I can't see how I would fix it at the moment. In a few days it will hit me and I will realize how easy it could have been or something. Tell me this, do you also feel that the isometric guy facing right feels a lot more awkward than the left one? (Even though they are exactly the same?)

KK20

Funny you mention that. To me the one facing left looks more weird than the other. :O.o:

Other Projects