Chat client

Started by Blizzard, July 10, 2013, 03:23:07 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Blizzard

Does anybody know of some sort of chat client that supports following features in any way?

1. Works on Android, iOS and Windows. The Windows version can run over a browser, that's fine.
2. Supports logins from multiple locations at the same time. e.g. I can be logged in from my phone as well as PC at the same time without problems.
3. Saves the chat history.
4. Shows notifications on iOS and Android when new messages have been posted.

We thought about a Skype group, but they save the history only for a year. IDK how IRC is standing on this.

Basically this is what Facebook's messenger app and Facebook chat/PMs does, but Facebook's stuff has some major problems. It bugs out way too often, links sometimes won't work, image upload sometimes won't work, they annoyingly keep scrolling down when a new message arrives and you can't read it properly if there are lots of new messages and the conversations keeps going, etc.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Ryex

July 14, 2013, 01:50:07 pm #1 Last Edit: July 14, 2013, 01:54:04 pm by Ryex
I'm not sure what you need here because form the sounds of it Skype is exactly what you need. there are settings you can use to limit the chat history length, at least in group chats.
skype group chat options: ShowHide

/set options [[+|-]flag]   

Sets options for this chat. For example: /set options -JOINING_ENABLED switches off the JOINING_ENABLED option, while /set options +JOINERS_BECOME_APPLICANTS will switch on the JOINERS_BECOME_APPLICANTS option.

The available flags are listed below:

HISTORY_DISCLOSED - Joiners can see the conversation that took place before they joined. The limit that they can see is either 400 messages or two weeks of time, depending on which is reached first.

JOINERS_BECOME_APPLICANTS - New users can join the chat, but cannot post or receive messages until authorized by a CREATOR or MASTER (see the table below for more information on roles).

JOINERS_BECOME_LISTENERS - New users can receive messages but cannot post any until promoted to the USER role.

JOINING_ENABLED - New users can join the chat.

TOPIC_AND_PIC_LOCKED_FOR_USERS - Only a user with a CREATOR role will be able to change the topic text or accompanying picture for the chat.

USERS_ARE_LISTENERS - Users with a USER role will be unable to post messages.

also, who do you need this for?
I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

Blizzard

July 14, 2013, 04:42:40 pm #2 Last Edit: July 14, 2013, 04:48:19 pm by Blizzard
I need this for me and my 6 buddies. Call it a private, private conversation thingy. And so we kinda need the unlimited chat history thing.

We decided to go with Google Hangouts. It's actually amazing what kind of features it supports. Video calls are simple, chat history, there is even a directory for all uploaded pics within a conversation. The only downside is that no file uploads are supported, only pictures and videos. But we can live with that.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.