What do you look for in a video game?

Started by Tazero, July 20, 2013, 02:59:26 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Tazero

July 20, 2013, 02:59:26 pm Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 03:01:20 pm by Tazero
The topic is simple, explain what you like in a video game or explain what makes a particular game a GOOD game to you.

For me I enjoy a non-linear progression if they can do it right. By right I mean you can do the same things if you took a left instead of a right BUT the enemies have fixed levels so one area may be more of a challenge to go that route instead of the other. (DkS did this) An interesting story line that isn't too cliche and good gameplay mechanics. (Graphics always help the mood but not required) With a skill base not equip based. I enjoy a game where I can kill the hardest boss in game with starting gear and no levels, (via parries or exploiting patterns in AI)

EDIT: And good multiplayer (co-op or PvP) As long as its fun and skill based not equip based :D

If you were a fish...

WhiteRose

I really love a feeling of progression throughout the game, both in terms of player skill and statistically. I like being able to look back and see how much I've improved in both aspects.

I also really enjoy co-op modes, but I prefer playing with friends in small groups rather than online play with a bunch of people you don't know.

Spoofus

For me Story is a huge pet peeve, but being able to explore the games world with out much restriction( elder scroll games)
Something that requires skill(demon/Dark Souls I'm looking at you baby) and not being able to blindly play through the game or can have mechanics in it that can enhance the competitive nature of the game.
Graphics I are not a big thing for me, but if I had to choose a graphics style music it comes down to two choices for me then and they would be:
Snes style along the lines of Secret of Mana/Evermore to be more precise but a lot of Snes games had great graphics and music to them,and the Snes Final Fantasy games are good too,also can't forget Chrono Trigger (Magus' Theme, Frog's Theme and Schala music ( the floating island place) I can keep going ). Wow I'm old..... :D

The Pokemon games, yes the Pokemon games they have great music if you listen to them, and the graphics style to every one of them is something you never see in any other game, it gives the game's world it's own feel to it.

If a game has co-op in it for something along the lines like that of the Borderlands games then that is just tasty icing on the cake.

My Blog site I am working on: http://spoofus.weebly.com/

KK20

In terms of percentages:
50% Gameplay -- If the game brings something new or improves upon a good idea, major bonus points.
25% Aesthetics -- Graphics, Music, anything to enhance the gameplay experience (which means I don't care if your game is just dots or realistic; if it works for the overall concept of your game, I'll take it).
15% Story -- Most stories are just reworded pieces referenced from other stories with a few new elements thrown in here and there that don't change the underlying story all that much. Character designs also fall in this category.
5% Replay Value -- Games that I can see myself playing for years to come are surely worth the money.
5% Difficulty -- I like games that are simple to learn but can be so much more complex when you dig deeper into them. I'm not a fan of games that are absurdly hard throughout nor do I like games that have 50+ things I have to learn just to play it.

Other Projects
RPG Maker XP Ace  Upgrade RMXP to RMVXA performance!
XPA Tilemap  Tilemap rewrite with many features, including custom resolution!

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: 8310-1917-5318
Discord: KK20 Tyler#8901

Join the CP Discord Server!

winkio

WARNING: ESSAY

Since I have been hating on video games in general as of late, I'm going to explain why I dislike 99% of the games I see/play.  To me, a video game cannot be dissected into separate components with a numbered score.  Game maps, music, controls, and graphics are all intertwined in the game experience.  Because of this view, I can't pick any one component as more or less important than another, but rather have to try to describe a good game holistically.

A good game:
1) Engages the player with the current experience
2) Surprises the player with the next experience
3) Always builds toward a complete experience

The player can be engaged by any element of the game's content, from a tricky puzzle to a fast paced battle, a vivid atmosphere to a towering obstacle, a human opponent to an expansive playground.  These are the things that make the player enjoy the game as they are playing it.

The player must be surprised by new content based on their appetite.  If you have ever played a game for 10 or 20 hours and then put it down without finishing, this is likely what the game failed to do.  Surprises can be accomplished by introducing new characters, unlocking powerups, or exploring new environments, but if the player gets stuck in the same pattern of game play, they will likely put the game down.

Building towards a complete experience is the most subtle and at times difficult goal to accomplish.  This has more to do with a game's sense of purpose than its story or achievements.  The player should have a reason for everything they do in the game.  Every quest should further story/character development or grant the player additional power.  Every NPC should deliver some important information, or provide a useful service.  Everything should be another stroke of paint on the player's canvas of experience, continually adding detail, even after the game is 'complete'.

The problem with accomplishing these three goals is that they are all dependent on the player.  This may seem obvious, but if one player likes a game and another does not, then the players must have experienced the game differently.  Since the game itself does not change, I argue that while the player that likes the game experiences these three goals, the player that dislikes the game does not.  Additionally, even players that like the same games will experience them differently, and thus rate them differently.  This brings forth two primary criteria that can measure a game's reception:

1) Quantity.  This outcome is based on the total number of players that have a positive game experience
2) Quality.  This outcome is based on how the game experience compares with another game experience

A developer may at first strive to create a game that everyone will play and everyone will love, striving for both quantity and quality.  However, due to the diversity of the gaming audience, this proves impossible.  Every part of a game, including the music, the controls, the graphics, and the difficulty, is bound to attract some portion of the audience, and repel the rest.  Thus, the strongest quality game must target the smallest portion of the population, and the strongest quantity game must have a neutral low quality.  This is my explanation for the casual vs hardcore markets.

But we can't stop there.  At this point, the game experience model is oversimplified.  To adjust to reality, we must consider each player to have an individual way in which they experience a game, in which each game element will have either a positive, negative, or neutral effect unique to that individual.  In essence, if the gaming audience is a pond, then each game element causes a unique ripple on the surface of the pond.  With this correction, it is possible to find elements that have a large positive response from a large number of individuals.  It is also possible to find a set of elements that, when added together, create a large positive response for almost the entire gaming audience.  This is where the future of gaming lies: from an infinite number of possible combinations, developers must select a large mass of elements that, when added together, create a positive experience for the entire gaming audience.  To return to the metaphor, the right combination of ripples will create a giant swell across the entire pond.

So what do I look for in a video game?  It's hard to say.  I've loved games for story, and hated games for story.  Loved games for multiplayer, and hated games for multiplayer.  Loved games for music, and hated games for music.  But with all the high quality games I have played, I have definitely raised my standards for quality, and that is why there are less games that I find exciting today compared to 10 years ago.

PhoenixFire

This is similar to how Winkio explained it, but here goes:

When I play a game, the first thing I always notice is the storyline; A strong start is usually, though not always, an indication of a good storyline that will capture my attention. Further upon that is the difficulty, or learning curve. If I can't figure out the basic controls of the game, such as movement, without HAVING to go through the tutorial (if they even provide one), then most likely I will not play it. If it seems like I'm doing something, and have no idea why (the outcome does not seem to help me in accomplishing anything), I will lose interest quickly; this is also true if I feel like I have to keep doing something repeatedly. Another factor I look for is uniqueness, of both the storyline, and concept behind the game in general. One example would be the entire command and conquer series, versus the game WarZone 2100: WarZone has a very similar concept in some areas, such as ALL battle style games (factories to produce vehicles, research buildings, etc.), but they have an interesting storyline in the way they explain how you came into the spot you're in. In both games, you are a general interacting with your forces via a HUD of some type. You have missions critical to the success of your country/force/faction as a whole. Interestingly though, WarZone tells the story from a point of view after a huge nuclear war, famine and destruction. So you have the mindset that you are one of a small number of surviving people on earth that haven't been affected by this. Basically they could be simplified and called the same type of game, but they have many differences that make them unique in my eyes. So it's hard to say what I look for exactly.
Quote from: Subsonic_Noise on July 01, 2011, 02:42:19 amNext off, how to create a first person shooter using microsoft excel.

Quote from: Zeriab on September 09, 2011, 02:58:58 pm<Remember when computers had turbo buttons?

Praelium

This has gotten longer than I wanted it to be...

What I look for in a game changes constantly. When I was younger I was simply looking for games that could keep me busy for hours, days, weeks hell even months. One of the first "real" games I played were Age of Empires, which I received as a gift. I soon started to like the medieval theme and Runescape was a real hype in my school. So yep, I got addicted to Runescape for about 2 to 3 years. What I looked for back then were games that didn't need a lot of requirements to actually get somewhere. It were basically click-through games with no hard challenges.

When I had my first own computer, I started looking more for challenges and story-lines, I played a lot of single player games and, as I was not allowed to play any shooter games, I played a ton of single player shooter games that had downloadable demo's. Oh hell yeah was I a bad boy. As I got bored of a lot of the repetitive challenges and story-lines within these single player games, I bought my first online shooter: Call of Duty. It basically made me realize that gaming isn't that easy if you compare yourself to other gamers. I died a lot, and soon realized team play and actual knowledge gets you further in a game. Around that time I had some friends in-game that I played a lot with. I slowly gained patience and knowledge with and in this game. Of course Call of Duty got outdated pretty quick.

When I changed from school, it had another impact on what I look for in games. I had landed in a class full of MMORPG players. I was, let's say, intrigued by their taste in games. It was something fairly new to me. Before I preferred "click-through" or shooter games. Back then MU Online and Martial Heroes were very popular free-to-play MMORPG games. It didn't take long before I downloaded them and got "cool" again in my class. I quickly got a hold of the challenge of being unique within a game. It is something that I still really like in a game. The option to be unique. You can choose how you look, what items you wear, what skills you take, what path you take, ... It was amazing. These 2 years were one of the best years in my gaming experience. But as I played longer, the community in the game started to go downhill. People started to be very egoistic, egocentric and greedy. Both of the games had this nice open market where people make deals for unique items. This changed a lot and I felt that the game was destroyed (I guess the same happened to Runescape). Here I realized that how beautiful and unique a game might be, if the community on it sucks, the game sucks too.

In the next couple of years my vision on games kept changing and I can say that right now what I look for in a game is a unique challenge (You wont see me play Zombie wave games), a good overall theme, a good community (Bye bye Runescape!), team play, a not-so-cliche storyline, addiction and an overall good experience. I also don't like games that you can play forever. These are usually the games that make me feel as if I am not good enough to get somewhere in the game. I have experienced that graphics don't always make the game good and that gameplay and easiness of this gameplay actually can make any game good. What I also experienced is that I want games to hold my attention long enough. Games like Skyrim might look great and have unique things to them, but in my opinion, Age of Empires had my attention for longer. Most of the new games I play, can't hold my attention for that long. Of course I like multiplayer games more because of this, since you HAVE to get Gold Ranking this season in League of Legends, and hey, THOSE DROPS ARE SWEEEET IN CS:GO. And hey, I don't want the Songbird to get Elisabeth.

I hope this is a good answer, it's kind of a gaming history too for me, but hey, I answered your question!

orochii

I'm not sure about this question. I don't even know if I really like to play games...

When I play MMORPGs, I make a character, play with it for like 2 hours, then never play again. If I do is because of some extra factor, like ShinMegaten:Imagine. I played it because of it being Megaten. Nothing else. I'm in love with monster fusion (I think I like combining things <3). You can create something, then create something else with that. Bad thing is that MMORPGs are slow.

I can't play Minecraft neither. Minecraft is supposed to be a sandbox, where you can combine stuff and do whatever you wish. What do I wish to do? Nothing. Just die for about an hour against creeps and shit. For me it's same thing for days, you make a house and get diamond, and asdf. You play it again from start, you do the same. I don't know, I'm just incompatible with most sandboxes.

So, for that last part now I have an hypothesis. I like games that change. A game that you start it, gives you something. Then after a while it reinvents itself. Story, game mechanics, everything can have some progression. I think that's why I don't like most MMORPGs neither Minecraft.
I also like games where your learning haves some effect. If you know nothing, you do... barely fine. But if you learn, a new world appears. That part is maybe the thing Minecraft haves but I can't get interested enough as to care about learning about it.

There it goes,
Orochii Zouveleki

Tazero

Ha, sorry for the late reply x_x;;

I think almost every game I've played has some sort of 'New world' after you discover the mechanics of it, however that's exactly what I strive to do when I start a game.
I learn the ins and outs of the mechanics and I can exploit them to my advantage.
I'll use dark souls as an example - Pyromancies with a Dex Build (These terms aren't really all that important) Are really fast to cast. Because the games multiplayer revolves around p2p instead of a stable server, you can exploit the lag to benefit you. Where you are on your screen you may be 3 or 4 steps back on theirs, this allows for comboing on people :D - This is also the same for the invader/enemy so if you find yourself in a situation where you can take .2ms of lag and turn it into an asset, theres a whole new world to the pvp aspect of the game. :D

Now as for the learning curve with minecraft, the base objectives that everyone has (Mine, get diamonds, mine, build etc) Is only limited by you. While there is much to do in the game, there is more you can do and increase the difficulty or lower the difficulty depending on how you approach every situation in the game. (You can skip the night allowing no mobs to spawn on the surface. or you can play in peaceful/creative and just simply build all day.) But I find the biggest reward when you build something that other people think is a nifty idea or want to learn from it. ( I personally enjoy the redstone aspect of the game and I will spend hours trying to accomplish a goal) While the base objectives stay the same, the game can change entirely if you want it too. I believe this applies to most games (atleast that I've played)

If you were a fish...