Themes

Started by AliveDrive, March 03, 2011, 03:44:57 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

AliveDrive

Power and corruption.

Teamwork.

Moral Fiber. xD
Quote from: Blizzard on September 09, 2011, 02:26:33 am
The permanent solution for your problem would be to stop hanging out with stupid people.

The Niche

Level me down, I'm trying to become the anti-blizz!
Quote from: winkio on June 15, 2011, 07:30:23 pm
Ah, excellent.  You liked my amusing sideshow, yes?  I'm just a simple fool, my wit entertains the wise, and my wisdom fools the fools.

I'm like the bible, widely hated and beautifully quotable.

Dropbox is this way, not any other way!

WhiteRose

Quote from: The Niche on March 04, 2011, 07:31:25 pm
Of course...wait. What themes are we talking about here?

winkio's earlier post summed up a few possible themes:
http://forum.chaos-project.com/index.php/topic,8816.msg136239.html#msg136239

Hatsamu

I'd go with a mix of "Explore" and "two worlds".

Something like "We need to find out the corrupted places and when we do, we need to get inside and obtain the titanium there"

winkio

started two discussions on them.  Don't be afraid to post new themes if you think of any.

AliveDrive

And possibly defeat some great evil there, thus sealing the Corruption Zone (CZ?) and installing boss fights into the game.
The permanent solution for your problem would be to stop hanging out with stupid people.

Hatsamu

Btw, I'd love to see this in a steampunk style, but I do agree that tilesets are hard to find.

If we manage to get/create good ones, I'd personally go for it. But if this would be in detriment of the game quality, going after a more fantasy-like style looks like a wiser choice.

winkio

March 05, 2011, 09:28:49 pm #27 Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 11:22:47 am by winkio
Okay, I just looked up steampunk on wikipedia, and there are a few things that bother me:

1.  It is based around a semi-industrial culture.  This works completely opposite to everything we've established in the story.  Especially the characters of Alice and Robin.

2.  Graphics - Victorian Era Graphics?  RMXP has almost none.  Also, from what I saw, it mostly consists of metallic colors, black and white, and earth/rust tones, which is completely opposite to the colorful graphics of RMXP.  And I also just don't think it would look good in a game, to be honest.

Anybody have any input on this?

AliveDrive

I thought we already established the lack of tileset thing.

It might make a neat game if whoever made the custom tilesets made them right.

WhiteRose pointed out that we should try to use the RTP as much as we can at first, and I agree to this.

Not to say we wont have anything custom but it cuts down on the focus and workload needed for custom tilesets.

WhiteRose

A typical fantasy setting sounds fine to me; the reason they're so common is because they work well.

Shalaren

just a quick question incase the theme is explorer, how exactly the titanium will be found? by killing leaders? or special maps in hidden area's?

AliveDrive

Boss fights are the obvious first choice, but I feel like they should also be obtained during special occasions, and weaker ones at random throughout game-play.

Spaceman McConaughey

Well, although Steampunk would be a poor choice for this game, I am just going to point out that Sithjester made a slew of Steampunk sprites in case anyone would ever want them for their own projects:
http://untamed.wild-refuge.net/rmxpresources.php?characters

AliveDrive

Niche and I discussed this, but the fact remains that we simply don't have the custom tilesets needed, and those are the most time consuming to make.

Spaceman McConaughey

Quote from: AliveDrive on March 06, 2011, 08:20:11 pm
Niche and I discussed this, but the fact remains that we simply don't have the custom tilesets needed, and those are the most time consuming to make.

Like I said, steampunk is not for the game.

Also, if nobody minds, I am going to throw suggestions out there every now and then for this game. :B

winkio

So we have the big worldmap which we could use for something or other, since it's an explorer, do we want more zoomed in maps of each region?  Should they be automatic, or would you have to purchase/complete a quest for them?

AliveDrive

*RE-JUICE!*

The quest thing is neat, but I disagree with it for this game.

Our story doesn't seem quest based as much as storyline based, but we could have different parts of the map unveiled as the story takes us there.