Show off Your Before/After's

Started by Zexion, August 04, 2013, 03:26:22 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

PhoenixFire

I've found the same things to be true Heretic! Although I personally don't use events for graphics, unless it's something I plan on including somewhere down the road as something important. Like a chest opening, or a rotating crystal for information/tips/etc.

Layering is a biiiigggg thing with me too. Although I have found that convincing eventing is a big thing that can make a game more convincing as well. For example, my current project (Book of Leaves), has a scene where when you kill off the monsters in an area, you're "transported" to an area that looks exactly the same, except that there are no monsters, the shop owners are now walking outside, and the transportation circle has disappeared. It basically flips to an almost exact copy of the map.
Quote from: Subsonic_Noise on July 01, 2011, 02:42:19 amNext off, how to create a first person shooter using microsoft excel.

Quote from: Zeriab on September 09, 2011, 02:58:58 pm<Remember when computers had turbo buttons?

Vlash

Wow, this is everyone's beginnings? Mine were nowhere near as good as these. Makes me wonder what your ends look like!

WhiteRose

Quote from: Vlash on August 26, 2013, 06:40:59 pm
Wow, this is everyone's beginnings? Mine were nowhere near as good as these. Makes me wonder what your ends look like!

Some people around here are just naturally RMXP prodigies. :P However, it's also a lot of fun to see how much people have changed and improved over time. If you click on someone's username and view their profile, you can see their first posts, and what they were like when they very first came to the forum, which is always a fun comparison. For example, here's my first post on Chaos Project: http://forum.chaos-project.com/index.php/topic,4245.msg82707.html
(My last post in that topic is actually a lie - I never did get it working, but I was so nervous about posting that I just pretended that it worked. >.<)

Vlash

Quote from: WhiteRose on August 26, 2013, 06:51:11 pm
(My last post in that topic is actually a lie - I never did get it working, but I was so nervous about posting that I just pretended that it worked. >.<)

LOL, I think I've done the same thing a few times before, just because I didn't wanna bother the scripter.

I'd post my first projects in here, but those are long gone :(. Which stinks cuz even though they weren't great, I still liked looking them over and noticing all the mistakes that I don't make now.

WhiteRose

Quote from: Vlash on August 27, 2013, 02:00:39 am
I'd post my first projects in here, but those are long gone :(. Which stinks cuz even though they weren't great, I still liked looking them over and noticing all the mistakes that I don't make now.

I know what you mean. I love to play through my old projects just for nostalgia reasons, and seeing how much I've improved since then makes learning RMXP a game itself. Sorry that you've lost your old projects. :( Still, there's nothing like a fresh start. :)

Heretic86

How about we make this Before and After?

We've already seen many peoples beginnings.  Why not also post the work that you are MOST proud of?  Just to show how far we've come?
Current Scripts:
Heretic's Moving Platforms

Current Demos:
Collection of Art and 100% Compatible Scripts

(Script Demos are all still available in the Collection link above.  I lost some individual demos due to a server crash.)

Zexion

Hmm, alright I don't see why not :P

Heretic86

August 31, 2013, 09:24:04 pm #27 Last Edit: August 31, 2013, 09:27:42 pm by Heretic86
I always make things more complicated than they need to be.

For the last couple of days, I've been working on packing up the Tilesets I use and had intended to just release the Tilesets in a Demo.  But, no, I cant do that.  It would be far too easy.  What I am working on right now is a complete pack of the Tilesets I use AND a huge collection of Scripts.  The reason I felt it necessary to bundle the Graphics with the Scripts is because a lot of the stuff I do is very dependant on the Scripts.  Being able to do things like manually set the Z-Index for ANY graphic, make things render as FLAT (think of the Portal Graphic), and some other things like Fade Event I use heavily to make my maps.  Others allow you to make your Fog appear as Clouds.  The Scripts have already been released individually.  Without these Scripts, many of my Mapping Techniques dont look right.  There are probably like 30 different Scripts that are going to come packaged.  Another reason for my plans to do this is that a lot of these scripts were not initially compatible.  The Collection has made ALL of the scripts work with 100% Compatability with each other.

Im also going to include one of my best maps in the Collection.  You may have seen screenshots of the map, but I've never released a Full Scale Map that allowed you to Edit the map without cracking RMXP's weak encryption.  So this is going to be a first for me.  I've also never released any of the Tilesets I use either.  Dont know why, guess it just never crossed my mind.  One of the things about these Tilesets is that they are Massive.  Because of this, it would take you literally HOURS to import them into the Game Engine.  By releasing a Demo with the Tileset already set up for Copying and Pasting, I hope to Set the Standard of how to release Tilesets.  Tilesets arent just Graphics.  There are a ton of settings in the Database that correspond to that Tileset, and once the Graphics for the Tileset are imported, those settings also need to be set up.  By putting a Tileset in a Demo, you dont have to go through all the work of setting up the Database.  Just Copy and Paste the Tileset, and you're done!

Progress is coming along quite nicely.  I should be able to release it in a couple of days as there is still a TON of work that I have to do on it to get it ready for everyone.  For a Before and After, this is what I plan on releasing.  And Im doing it in a way that will help the community.
Current Scripts:

Current Demos:

(Script Demos are all still available in the Collection link above.  I lost some individual demos due to a server crash.)

Zexion

I don't think it's called "making it complicated", more like "doing it right". Sure you could just make graphics and place them as best you can in the editor, but little things will arise that are annoying, and so you fix it. I'm the same way, which is why I never really complete anything. I refuse to just accept good enough when it comes to a game, and so I never end up releasing anything.

KK20

My 'after'?
*points to sig*
Yeah...I'm cool like that :P

Other Projects
RPG Maker XP Ace  Upgrade RMXP to RMVXA performance!
XPA Tilemap  Tilemap rewrite with many features, including custom resolution!

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: 8310-1917-5318
Discord: KK20 Tyler#8901

Join the CP Discord Server!

orochii

Before... http://www.mediafire.com/download/ynjymnxyndn/rgnrkx_dmo1.rar
After... http://forum.chaos-project.com/index.php/topic,13422.0.html

The same project, but different in almost anything. The only things that haven't changed completely are the essential ones, like the setting and characters.
Before that I made some things as a kid, but most of them are lost, or in some random CD that I have no idea where could it be. They were very random projects. My first, about an orphan samurai, that I never actually thinked anything else for story lol. There were others like that one: a zombie named Ujarras who sets on a jorney across the world, a group of friends in a contemporary setting, and even a game of my neighbourhood, with me as the protagonist, where characters from different games (mostly YugiOh cards) try to conquer the world or something and you must stop them.
There also was a game that I named "Legend of Zelda: A link to the future". No story, just a name and some thrown up ideas.

Aimless development for the fun!
Orochii Zouveleki

ShadowPierce

Hope people still remember me. Anyway here's my

Before: http://forum.chaos-project.com/index.php/topic,6789.0.html
- Sprites are made with a generator.
- Horrible character back story
- A lot of things still undecided
- set to be a 25-hour long game

After: http://forum.chaos-project.com/index.php/topic,10460.0.html
- Same concept
- Improved visuals
- Slowly gathering more support
- Set to be a 2-hour game (with some extras to extend it to a 12-hour long game)

Spoiler: ShowHide
Quote from: Blizzard on February 16, 2011, 03:44:48 pmThere you go. It's the proof that SDK is crap. It's incompatible with itself.
3DS Friend Code: ShowHide
1161-0627-9890

Heretic86

I just have to show this off.  Working on another Script for the XRXS Battle System that allows certain Equipment to reveal Enemy HP/SP States and Elemental Strengths and Weaknesses.

Spoiler: ShowHide

Not quite ready for prime time yet.

The Elemental Strengths and Weaknesses will display ALL of the Elements that an Enemy has a Rate of A, E, or F.  A is an Element that a Creature is Very Weak against.  E is Immune.  And F will absorb.  The information on the screen appears just below the Enemy Name.  It displays one element at a time and will cycle through the Key Elements for that opponent.

I did this also to emphasize that not all of our Before and After work is Graphical Only.
Current Scripts:

Current Demos:

Heretic86

Current Scripts:

Current Demos:

Shek