Which shall the name be?

To The Dawn
Sunrise
The Rising Sun

Zexion

The rising sun sounds like a bar in runescape lol :D
But I think no change is necessary

Ranquil

Liek OMG, I'm still actually working on this game! I've made a few more maps but I haven't been able to make a lot more progress because of the lack of good tilesets and, well, life (especially school) got the hold of me. Nevertheless, the project is progressing.

Here's a little something to show that I've actually done something for this. Here's a "battler" for the main character, showed in the pause menu:
Spoiler: ShowHide

I just suck at coloring. ;___;
Quote from: Some guy on FacebookLife is like a penis. It's short but it feels so long when it gets hard.

Quote from: Steven WinterburnBefore you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes.

WhiteRose

Quote from: Ranquil on October 27, 2013, 06:20:41 am
Liek OMG, I'm still actually working on this game! I've made a few more maps but I haven't been able to make a lot more progress because of the lack of good tilesets and, well, life (especially school) got the hold of me. Nevertheless, the project is progressing.

Here's a little something to show that I've actually done something for this. Here's a "battler" for the main character, showed in the pause menu:

I just suck at coloring. ;___;

That looks awesome! :D I don't think your coloring is bad at all; I really like the shading style. It looks organic - not realistic, but stylized. Very cool. :)

Jadak

Hi there Ranquil, while I can't commit to a lot of spriting, I can however do a couple for you. Also, if you'd like I could provide you with the custom/recolored RTP tiles I'm making for my current project.

You can find samples of said tiles in the resources section.

On a more related note, I really love the concept of this game! And your coloring looks amazing, much better than when I attempted it haha

Ranquil

Today is a special day.
As of today, I shall now actually devote myself for this project!

I've had a lot of schoolwork for a while (two Finnish courses worth of essays 'n shit and a completely full timetable) so I haven't been able to do much for the project. Now I don't have nearly as much schoolwork as I had for a while, so now I'll really get to work on the project. So far all I have are still a few maps and sprites, but the story is completely ready and designed.
For now, I'd be really happy if someone wanted to help me with mapping. When it comes to visual arts, I'm a lot better at people than locations so I can't really make good-looking maps lol.

Btw, here's a question for everyone: what were some of your childhood fears? By answering you might be making this game itty-bitty scarier than I originally designed it to be. :3
Quote from: Some guy on FacebookLife is like a penis. It's short but it feels so long when it gets hard.

Quote from: Steven WinterburnBefore you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes.

locowhiteknight

My take on the "heroine". Good luck with the project! Not sure if I should be using smilies or not.   :haha:

"Let's get down to brass tacks. How much for the ape?"

Ranquil

Quote from: locowhiteknight on December 09, 2013, 07:20:32 pm
My take on the "heroine". Good luck with the project! Not sure if I should be using smilies or not.   :haha:

Heh. The clothes are a bit too simplistic but it looks okay. However, I already have a good sprite of the character.
But still, thanks! I take it that you're at least a bit interested in this. :D

WhiteRose

Quote from: locowhiteknight on December 09, 2013, 07:20:32 pm
My take on the "heroine". Good luck with the project! Not sure if I should be using smilies or not.   :haha:

This is a great sprite! :) It could do with a little bit of shading, though. Spriting is a really valuable skill around here, so it is great that you are off to such a good start already! :D Take a look at a couple shading tutorials and you could be a master spriter in no time. :)

EDIT: On topic, I'm still really excited for this project too! It's a genre that I really love, and my curiosity is peaked already. I'll be keeping an eye on things. :)

locowhiteknight

QuoteHeh. The clothes are a bit too simplistic but it looks okay. However, I already have a good sprite of the character. But still, thanks! I take it that you're at least a bit interested in this. :D

Sorry, I didn't realize it was already made. I saw the battler pic and read the opening description, and decided to give it a shot using the sprite model you posted for somebody else. I'm always interested in RMXP projects people are working on. I wish you good luck on this on!

QuoteThis is a great sprite! Happy It could do with a little bit of shading, though. Spriting is a really valuable skill around here, so it is great that you are off to such a good start already! :D Take a look at a couple shading tutorials and you could be a master spriter in no time. Happy

Thanks! I used a model female sprite he posted earlier and just added the clothing. I'll definitely need to get better a shading, so thanks for the advice on the tutorials, I'll be looking them over (and of course practicing).
"Let's get down to brass tacks. How much for the ape?"

Ranquil

It's been a while, eh?

Believe it or not, I've actually been working on the project! And the prove it, here's a screenshot of the main menu:
Cointains epic content suitable for awesome people: ShowHide

I, with my absolutely non-existent programming skills, modified it from AJNR95's (?) menu script from his horror template. KK20 has also been a huge help with this! :)
The windowskin, the background, the drawing and the clock icon are all made by yours truly.

By the way, it'd be super-duper fabulous if someone wanted to answer this small request. :)

Ranquil

October 20, 2014, 05:19:25 am #30 Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 08:34:15 am by Ranquil
Wow. I said I'd make an announcement as son as I got a working Internet connection buuuuuuut it kinda slipped lol. Anyway, here goes.

As of the beginning of October, this game has once again started being in active development. That's because this game is no longer just an eternity project of mine.
It now has a team of three working on it! I now have two talented artist with me who volunteered to join the project. One of them has finished art school and is currently studying with me in a game school. The other one is still on her final year in art school  but she has experience with the RPG Maker engines. And both of them really like horror. :D
Now there's also enough motivation to actually work on the game. As I'm studying in a game school I need stuff for my portfolio and what'd be better for it than a complete game? :D As there are also at least two people counting on me to finish the game, I'll definitely continue making this game.

So what I'm saying is... the game has now two dedicated artists and it's definitely still getting made.
Feel free to look forward to it. :3

Here's something to keep you interested.: ShowHide

Also, the name of the game has now been changed to Sunrise. To the Dawn was simply too similar to To the Moon and the word "dawn" is kinda overused in similar contexts.