[Request] Client Updater

Started by PhoenixFire, August 09, 2013, 11:27:42 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

PhoenixFire

So, I just spent almost an hour on Bing/Google looking for information on how to code up a game client updater, and I came up with nadda. Does anyone know how to do this? I know Gameus made one a while back, and what I want is almost identical to this: The thread about Remexos Launcher and Updater

Thoughts, information, et cetera?
Quote from: Subsonic_Noise on July 01, 2011, 02:42:19 amNext off, how to create a first person shooter using microsoft excel.

Quote from: Zeriab on September 09, 2011, 02:58:58 pm<Remember when computers had turbo buttons?

G_G

I feel the easiest way to do this is would be in a .NET language. That's what my launcher was made in. Here are your requirements.

-Need a host to store the version file and the updated files of your game
-Rather than having a shortcut to your game, have it linked to your launcher
-Launcher compares version file stored locally, compared to one stored remotely (the local one can be in the registry, or just a file in the AppData folder, up to you)
-If version is outdated, then launcher simply downloads new files.

Now, if you're asking for code, this is what I recommend googling.
"how to download files with *insert language here*"
"how to save files in appdata/registry with *insert language here*"
"how to read/write files with *insert language here*"

An updater is actually really simple to create. A lot of it is just Streams. Streams for files and remote files, transfering/reading/writing bytes from these streams. If you know how to work with I/O then you're pretty much good to go. It's just a matter of getting the code done yourself. I'll see if I can't find my old, old updater from a personal project awhile ago and I'll share the code with you.

PhoenixFire

Thanks Ronnie, any update on that old code? Another thought I had on it, is that I currently have all my download files stored on SkyDrive. Think that would be a doable option, or do you think I would need to find a new file server?
Quote from: Subsonic_Noise on July 01, 2011, 02:42:19 amNext off, how to create a first person shooter using microsoft excel.

Quote from: Zeriab on September 09, 2011, 02:58:58 pm<Remember when computers had turbo buttons?