What is the Btest PS2 Emulator i can get

Started by Memor-X, August 22, 2013, 07:35:38 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Memor-X

a while back there was posts about how Sony has stopped production of PS2's in Japan so it wont be long before they are no longer around

with that said, i have 2 PS2 units, one is PAL and one is NTSC, now i have a 1st gen PS3 which can play PS2 games however there are compatibility issues

1. PS2 games are region locked so games like .hack//G.U wont play on it

2. some PS2 games lag like hell like Ratchet and Clank 3 when there is a lot of action (like when i do a back flip with the volcano cannon when it shoots out the stream) or just crash like with Jack and Daxter (just in the tutorial Level)

now i'm paranoid to the point i brought a second PS3 unit in-case if something happens to mine (i do treat them right however i live in Victoria Australia, would i have the time to unplug and pack the PS3 away when there is a bushfire caused by the stupid CFA doing a 'controlled' burn off? it has happened) however it will not be harder to buy backup units of NTSC and PAL PS2 units, even if i find them seller would be gouging the f*&$ out of sellers about now because they would be rare

with all that said, i now plan on getting a PS2 Emulator, when i got my PS1 Emulator i got it from a friend and when i do a search for PS2 Emulators there are quite a few, i thought i'd ask here which are the good ones instead

things i'm looking for in the Emulator are

1. Ease of Setup: the problem even with the ePSXE Emulator i got from my friend was that it came which a crap tone of sound/video/cd rom plugins and that the default settings one didn't work on my computer, it took a few months of trial and error before i had the right setup, so the easier the Emulator is to set up the better

2. PC Compatibility: when i moved from my old XP computer to my Windows 7 one i thought my plugin selection for ePSXE would work even better cause my computer at the time was a powerhouse (could play Crysis at max settings with no problems and every other game up to Skyrim, lags a bit with anti-aliasing turned on) however it wouldn't work, took a bit more time to find the plugins to work, since an Emulator just emulates the hardware of the system asking for this is a bit of a stretch however if the PS2 Emulator comes with plugins which are a bit more compatible between machine that's great (just for when i upgrade my computer)

3. ISO and Disk Support: with the ePSXE Emulator i could create ISO Backups of my PS1 Games and use them but with how i back them up, the hardrive with them isn't always connected to the computer or in the house and it can take a day or 2 before i can get it so being able to use the original disks was great, i'm looking for the same in a PS2 Emulator

4. Region Free: when i got my NTSC PS2, it was really only to play .hack//G.U however i now have a bunch of NISA Games like Soul Nomad and Makai Kingdom which were either only released in the US, i was unable to find a PAL Copy or i chose the NTSC copy over the PAL because it was limited edition (cause i'm a sucker), i know with DVDs if their outer region i have to change something in the OS but i can only do it 5 times, i'm hoping a PS2 Emulator is unaffected by this (then again if it uses ISOs then i very much doubt it would be affected)

5. Saves: ePSXE came with a Memory Card Manager so i could create new memory cards, i would like that in the PS2 Emulator but if not then i would just use the Save State functionality, that's if it has it

6. Controller Support: obviously i would like to either use a PS3 Controller or another controller with twin sticks, the emulator would need to support that

now the Emulator doesn't have to have all of the above but the more the better, now i'm not sure of links, if you can post one then go ahead but if not then name the emulator and/or the sites i could download it then i can then search for it, also, i don't want to know where i can get ISO games (At this time, there's this real old NISA PS2 game i've having trouble finding on ebay and i may ask about that later)

WhiteRose

I've looked into this quite a bit, and from what I've seen, the best (by quite some margin, unless there's something I'm missing,) PS2 emulator is PCSX2 (http://pcsx2.net/). It runs most games at full speed on decently modern hardware, supports up-scaling to higher resolutions and adding anti-aliasing if your hardware is strong enough, and has a generally good community willing to help with troubleshooting. Setup is pretty easy, but you will need to find a PS2 BIOS file. (Google is your friend, but if you can't find one, let me know, and I can help you to find one. :) )

Blizzard

I used PCSX2 myself for a bit and I can confirm that it's most probably the best emulator out there. It might have some flaws and some games may be a bit unstable (e.g. switching between windowed and fullscreen sometimes froze the game on me), but I think that this is localized as the only game I've really tried so far was Valkyrie Profile 2. Just make sure to have a good multicore CPU and a good GPU. Otherwise you won't get good performance. Due to the architecture of the PS2, it's difficult to emulate so performance is at a loss.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

WhiteRose

I just decided to run a quick test for performance on a bit lower-end system, and here are the results:

I ran Fatal Frame II (an ISO I had on-hand,) using moderate speedhacks, native PS2 texture size, and 800x600 resolution, in DirectX11 mode.
I tested it on a system built for low-power rather than gaming. Specs of the computer:
i7-4500U (1.8GHz, dual-core with multi-threading)
Intel HD Graphics 4400 (definitely not built for gaming, but not too terrible, being one of the newest Intel HD's.)

I was able to get almost 120fps with frame-limited uncapped. (After speedhacks and some tweaking.) So, with any sort of system in that range, you should be just fine. :)

Blizzard

The emulator doesn't really require much of a GPU because it's not the bottle neck. The CPU is, because it needs to emulate the entire architecture of the PS2 which is quite a mess. Don't get me wrong, the PS2 is a neat piece of hardware, but it's significantly differently designed than PCs, because it's built for gaming, not general processing.

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Spaceman McConaughey

I have such a hard time configuring this emulator properly.
Shadow of the Colossus either runs like shit or way too fast in the same session of play time.

My specs are:
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 660
CPU: AMD FX-8350 Eight-Core Processor
RAM: 16GB

I am able to run Dolphin near-perfectly, but this emulator is iffy. Anybody have some advice?

Blizzard

If it's changing speeds as you play, your CPU is the bottle neck. Yeah. :/

ForeverZer0

I haven't used it for a long time, but as Blizzard said, it comes down to having a good CPU. That is almost THE deciding factor on how well it will run. Adjusting the settings to the minimum helps a lot.

I only really used it for a brief period of time to play FFXIII, an managed to have it play smoothly, but I have since re-installed my OS, and don't think I have my settings anymore, I will have to search.

My specs are the greatest, but it managed.
GPU: Nvidia GeForce 525M
CPU: Intel Core i-7 2620M @ 2.70 GHz
RAM: 6GB

I am done scripting for RMXP. I will likely not offer support for even my own scripts anymore, but feel free to ask on the forum, there are plenty of other talented scripters that can help you.

Spaceman McConaughey

Quote from: Blizzard on August 25, 2013, 05:23:13 pm
If it's changing speeds as you play, your CPU is the bottle neck. Yeah. :/

Fuck.

Quote from: ForeverZer0 on August 25, 2013, 05:29:07 pm
I haven't used it for a long time, but as Blizzard said, it comes down to having a good CPU. That is almost THE deciding factor on how well it will run. Adjusting the settings to the minimum helps a lot.

I only really used it for a brief period of time to play FFXIII, an managed to have it play smoothly, but I have since re-installed my OS, and don't think I have my settings anymore, I will have to search.

My specs are the greatest, but it managed.
GPU: Nvidia GeForce 525M
CPU: Intel Core i-7 2620M @ 2.70 GHz
RAM: 6GB

Double fuck.

So, PCSX2 doesn't have an option to limit the framerate? Some games don't run like shit, but sometimes go too fast, so if I could juuuust limit the framerate.

D:

Blizzard

Quote from: Colonel Blinx on August 25, 2013, 05:34:59 pm
So, PCSX2 doesn't have an option to limit the framerate? Some games don't run like shit, but sometimes go too fast, so if I could juuuust limit the framerate.

D:

Weird, it should.

Quote from: ForeverZer0 on August 25, 2013, 05:29:07 pm
a brief period of time to play FFXIII

On PS2? lolwut

ForeverZer0

I am done scripting for RMXP. I will likely not offer support for even my own scripts anymore, but feel free to ask on the forum, there are plenty of other talented scripters that can help you.

Spaceman McConaughey

Quote from: Blizzard on August 25, 2013, 05:52:43 pm
Weird, it should.

Can you maybe screenshot where the option is for me, please?
I can never find it.

Blizzard

Spoiler: ShowHide

I'm running v1.0.0, I downloaded it a few weeks ago.

EDIT: Frame limiting is on the left side.

Memor-X

i don't know about my GPU but i have the following for RAM and CPU

CPU: Intel Core i-7, 4.20 GHz
CPU: 4GB (2 x 2GB DDR3)...i think, could be double that

i plan to download it sometime this week and test it out with one of my backup copies of Final Fantasy X both by disk and by ISO but i wont have a proper set up to i get a 2TB Sata Drive for my USB Sata Dock so i can store all the ISO Backups on that, might as well keep the emulator on there aswell

Spaceman McConaughey

Quote from: Blizzard on August 25, 2013, 06:05:09 pm

Thanks, babe. So if I just leave that box unchecked, it will work? Coolness.

WhiteRose

Quote from: Colonel Blinx on August 25, 2013, 08:24:14 pm
Quote from: Blizzard on August 25, 2013, 06:05:09 pm

Thanks, babe. So if I just leave that box unchecked, it will work? Coolness.

You can also press F4 to toggle it on and off.

Spaceman McConaughey