Spawn of Darkness

Started by ThallionDarkshine, June 13, 2012, 08:54:31 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ThallionDarkshine

June 13, 2012, 08:54:31 pm Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 12:08:05 am by ThallionDarkshine

Spawn of Darkness

Setting
Spoiler: ShowHide

Spawn of Darkness is set in a world of monsters and magic, demons and priestesses, good and evil. Vicious battles constantly rage between the savage demon hordes and the holy crusaders of the north. All the citizens of the realm live in constant fear of attack by demons or conscription by the crusaders. And though they are forced to rely on the northern crusaders for protection from the demons, none of them truely feel that their so-called allies have their best interests in mind.

Story

19 years before the game begins, the world was a peaceful place. Aside from the occasional invasion of a demon, or a raiding party of petty monsters, everyone lived a life of peace and quiet, the weather made calm by the spells of their guardian priestesses, morale kept high by the lighthearted mood throughout the land. However, one day a powerful demon found his way to Earth. His tactics differed greatly from those of his fellow demons. While other demons would've immediately stormed the nearest human village in a killing rage, he instead settled down as an ordinary human, and contented himself to observe. To be sure, he fully intended to unleash his wrath upon Earth, but only when the time was right. However, Earth was saved for a time, as he fell in love with a beautiful human priestess. She discovered his identity, but it did not phase her, as can happen with love (especially enhanced by the power of magic). Eventually, they had a son, and named him Sejan. However, others soon noticed that the boy was different from other children, and the demon and the priestess were forced to flee to a mysterious swamp. The townsfolk confronted them there, and the priestess was forced to use the last of her energy to shield her child from the townspeople. The resulting burst of energy served as a beacon for nearby demons, and soon a vast army was assembled. Led by Sejan's father, they sought to wreak havok on Earth to repay them for the pain they had caused him. As for Sejan, he was transported to a remote town in the mountains, secluded, for the time being at least, from the conflict...

Screenshots

Blizzard

Just a thought: It's kinda inconsistent that the game is called Spawn of Darkness and you show us some happy looking pictures. >.<
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

ThallionDarkshine

Sorry blizz, those are from early in the game when you haven't met shadow yet.

ConflictedX3

i'm not the best map designer but i learned a good tip when reading map tutorials, when designing an area, ESPECIALLY outside, inconsistency = a more realistic and eye catching environment. I feel there are too many of 1 type of tree in each area and they're too well spread out, while you can get away with it with the planted trees the free growth ones should have some bunched up on top of each other, or atleast a tree stump nearby to show that there was a tree nearby but the kingdom cut it down because from the look of things they CLEARLY pride themselves on a clean courtyard. Also throw some random dirt and broken off branches around, the moat is o.k since they're usually dug by people but i'd still vary off a little bit around the edges, maybe add an underwater animal shadow charset for a nice touch, just a few suggestions.

Story wise the idea of limbo and everything being reversed, blurred and unnaturally sharp sounds really cool though, wish you all the best with your project!
Would you believe Im a Rapper who owns his own Indie Label too? On top of my RPG Maker Interests? No? WELP! --> http://soundcloud.com/conflictcp  & POW!: http://www.youtube.com/user/IOIEntertainment

ThallionDarkshine

April 19, 2014, 12:09:51 am #4 Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 08:32:11 am by ThallionDarkshine
Well, I haven't posted here in ages. I just got back in the game-making spirit again, and started back up working on this project. However, I still have lots of trouble with storyline stuff and all that, so basically over the past few years I've gotten done some of the more technical balancing work. I completely redid the story: the main post will be updated with the new information shortly. However, what I feel is the only thing that I really accomplished over this time is finishing creating a tree of elemental skills, all with cool particle animations. These animations include some of Mascarpone and Zekanillos' best animations. I am now in the process of creating custom icons for each of the skills. If anyone would like to check the animations out, a link should be up shortly to download a file containing the animations set up in a project (my internet sucks so it's taking forever to upload).

Edit - Here is a project with all the animations from my game, organized into the tiers and elements.