Fatal Frame

Started by WhiteRose, August 25, 2013, 12:15:23 am

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteRose

After wearing myself out trying to be productive (which, incidentally, always seems less productive then just going about things in a more measured way, but that's a topic for the different thread,) I decided to relax a bit and pick up a new game. I've always loved survival horror games, particularly Silent Hill, so I gave Fatal Frame a try. Though I'm only about an hour or so into it, I'm loving it so far. It has a great survival horror feeling, with a good amount of scares and great atmosphere, as well as an engaging story. If anyone's looking at picking it up, you can probably find it at a local game store (it's for the PS2,) or find an ISO online and play it on PCSX2 (it runs perfectly fine, and with better graphics than the original console due to anti-aliasing and HD resolution.) I figured I'd share in case anyone else wants to give it a try. :) Let me know if you need any help getting it running.

ShadowPierce

August 25, 2013, 12:21:25 am #1 Last Edit: August 25, 2013, 12:22:54 am by ShadowPierce
Only played the 3rd title, but it's still pretty good on its own... I'd play the other two games but, sadly, I already sold my PS2... :(

Trivia time!
Did you know that the first Fatal Frame was based on a true story about a photographer being lost in a deserted village?

EDIT:
I'd love some help setting up PCSX2 but I'm not so sure if my 5-year old PC can handle more... It's barely even running Dota 2 right now...

Spoiler: ShowHide
Quote from: Blizzard on February 16, 2011, 03:44:48 pmThere you go. It's the proof that SDK is crap. It's incompatible with itself.
3DS Friend Code: ShowHide
1161-0627-9890

WhiteRose

Quote from: ShadowPierce on August 25, 2013, 12:21:25 am
EDIT:
I'd love some help setting up PCSX2 but I'm not so sure if my 5-year old PC can handle more... It's barely even running Dota 2 right now...

I'm happy to help. It's worth a shot - depending on how good your computer was five years ago, it should be just fine. You can find everything you need on the PCSX2 website, aside from two things: a BIOS (you can find one on Google,) and the ISO for Fatal Frame (rip your own, or you can Google it as well.) PCSX2 will walk you through the set up when you start it up, so let me know once you've gotten that far, and I can give you some tweaks to get it running more quickly. :)

Blizzard

If you have a quad core PC at 3 GHz and an ok GPU, you should be able to run PCSX2.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Ranquil

September 07, 2013, 11:54:37 am #4 Last Edit: September 07, 2013, 11:56:52 am by Ranquil
Quote from: ShadowPierce on August 25, 2013, 12:21:25 amTrivia time!
Did you know that the first Fatal Frame was based on a true story about a photographer being lost in a deserted village?

The "Based on a true story" part was added only to the American release of Fatal Frame 1. None of the developers knew it was going to be added.
Besides, Fatal Frame 2 took place in a deserted village, not Fatal Frame 1. ;)

Anyway, I've played 1 and 2 through a few times but I'm still not done with 3. I stopped playing it two years ago because I couldn't find any blue flame anywhere at all despite looking literally everywhere were I was able to go, so I made the character wake up and I never decided to test my luck by trying to go back again. (anyone who's played that game to a certain point knows what I'm talking about) Guess I should pick the game up again. I'll probably start a new game though.
I have to say the series is really scary, at least for the first time. Once you've played any of the games through once, playing the same game again loses its shine because you already know what to expect and you know all the tricks and how to efficiently fight. Also, there's absolutely no character development in any of the games. Most of the characters feel kinda blanc. I have no idea how the controls work in 4 and 2's Wii-version, but all the others also have really bad controls. What's good though is that they really do give you the creeps, if at least during the first playthrough, the storylines are cool and nicely disturbed (they're one of the reasons why I'm not too fond of religion) and the graphics are great.

Trivia time!
Fatal Frame is called Rei/Zero in Japan and Project Zero in Europe and Australia.

I kinda like the name Project Zero, it's def not as corny as some Fatal Frame, haha.
Quote from: Some guy on FacebookLife is like a penis. It's short but it feels so long when it gets hard.

Quote from: Steven WinterburnBefore you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes.