[XP] Non-blocking way of loading bitmaps?

Started by Terv, August 26, 2013, 07:32:52 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Terv

August 26, 2013, 07:32:52 am Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 06:25:57 pm by Terv
Hi,

Loading bitmaps via the built-in Bitmap class is halting program execution until the file is fully loaded. This is also true when done in a seperate Thread. Not sure about fork or spawn as those are not supported by Windows Ruby 1.8.1. Is it possible to asynchronously load bitmaps from files (mostly pngs) without lag, maybe using some third-party library or dll? I took a look at chunky_png and RMagick, however I suppose those don't work in RM-Ruby.

TIA, cheers!

Blizzard

Ruby doesn't support fork() and spawn(). And yes, this also happens in a new thread, because Ruby 1.8.1 doesn't have real threading.
Even if you loaded files with an external library, all you would get is a bunch of color data that you had to blt() on the manually created Bitmap anyway so you wouldn't really gain any performance.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Terv

August 26, 2013, 08:19:35 am #2 Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 10:09:55 am by Terv
Well it's not about the improved performance of multiple green threads (if there's any) but avoiding the small lag that occurs when loading a new tileset/lightmap while the player is wandering a map. If I could I'd just load these files in a seperate thread in advance and swap them when it's time.
I've put my autosave system into a seperate thread as well and it eliminated the hickup so I was wondering whether this is possible with caching bitmaps too.
I wouldn't mind if it took three times as long, however it shouldn't affect the main thread as the built-in Bitmap does.

Blizzard

But that's exactly the problem, it can't be queued into another thread, because Ruby 1.8.x doesn't have real threading. All threads are executed sequentially without switching between them.

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Terv

August 26, 2013, 10:51:49 am #4 Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 10:53:58 am by Terv
 :huh: So why can you, for example, calculate pi in a seperate (Ruby 1.8 ) thread while not experiencing any significant lag in the main game thread itself?

Blizzard

Because file input/output is implemented in C, not Ruby. Ruby just calls C functions internally and because it's not really threading, Ruby has to wait for the C function to finish. It's the same reason why calling Win32API calls in Ruby causes the game to freeze until they are done.

Terv

Ah now that makes sense, thanks for enlightening me :haha: so I guess no lag-free image loading on XP with 1.8.1 :/

Blizzard

KK20

Just curious, what are you trying to do? I mean, if it lags to load bitmaps, why not just load them during times where lag is prominent/less inconvenient (such as during teleporting or starting up the game)?

Other Projects
RPG Maker XP Ace  Upgrade RMXP to RMVXA performance!
XPA Tilemap  Tilemap rewrite with many features, including custom resolution!

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: 8310-1917-5318
Discord: KK20 Tyler#8901

Join the CP Discord Server!

ForeverZer0

You could run a small snippet to pre-cache bitmaps using RPG::Cache when the program is first launched. It would add a few seconds to the initial startup time of the game, but would allow for a little smoother loading of maps, etc. Depending on the size of the game and number of bitmaps, this may not be a viable option due to RAM usage, but for most RM games, that really wouldn't be an issue. At the very least you could just load some of the larger files, such as tilesets.

Like I said, it may not be a dramatic change, but would help.
I am done scripting for RMXP. I will likely not offer support for even my own scripts anymore, but feel free to ask on the forum, there are plenty of other talented scripters that can help you.

Blizzard

I preload icons in CP and create desaturated versions on the fly during startup. It saves me time when accessing the ingame menu's item screen and other screens. I have around 1.5k icons so it really makes sense to do that. Keep in mind that loading times are a normal occurrence in games.

Terv

August 26, 2013, 06:05:28 pm #11 Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 06:18:27 pm by Terv
QuoteJust curious, what are you trying to do?
For every outdoor map, for each time of day there's a dedicated light-/shadowmap, along with a region-specific tileset, which are changed on-the-fly on the map and tend to be rather large.

Quotewhy not just load them during times where lag is prominent/less inconvenient (such as during teleporting or starting up the game)?

Quote from: ForeverZer0 on August 26, 2013, 04:02:43 pmYou could run a small snippet to pre-cache bitmaps using RPG::Cache when the program is first launched.

This is what I currently do, pre-buffering graphics at the start and in inns or in lieu of wait commands in events, etc. So far RAM usage never exceeds 400 MB.
Yet I thought it was kind of a waste and was wondering whether there were more elegant alternatives. Furthermore you'll be able to stream the game, so I'd really like to keep the required minimum preload (files accessed in the first ~3 minutes) as small as possible (<50 megs), while avoiding stutters on maps later on in the first chapter.