Cooling Mat?

Started by WhiteRose, August 26, 2013, 04:03:14 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteRose

I realize that this is a bit of a long-shot, but what are people's thoughts on using a laptop cooling mat? My laptop is a gaming laptop, and the underside gets very, very hot when at full load, so I've been using one of these: (http://www.amazon.com/D-and-Distributing-Co-45105/dp/B000QWFNPO/ref=sr_1_34?ie=UTF8&qid=1377546590)

However, it recently ripped and the little white fluffies inside started falling out. (Very sad. Poor laptop mat. :( Even worse, they got in the computer, so I had to take it apart and clean out the fans. Twice. Bleah.) Anyway, I'm wondering if I should get another similar mat, or, while I'm buying a new product any way, if I should opt for a similarly priced mat with a built-in fan. My laptop doesn't have any problems keeping cool (ever since I started cleaning out the fans every six months,) but having some extra cooling wouldn't hurt. Has anyone used such a mat, and if so, what are your thoughts? One thing that I particularly liked about my old mat is that it has (had) extra cushioning on the bottom. My lap is kind of small and my laptop is really big and heavy, but the mat pillow kept it from squishing me too much. One fear I have with a cooling mat is that while it will keep my laptop happy and comfortable, I personally won't be. Any thoughts?

In hindsight, after having finished writing this topic, I realize that this is a little ridiculous. >.< I always ask for advice before buying stuff; I should learn to make my own decisions. Lol. Oh well.

Blizzard

No, that's fine. I made a topic about buying a gamepad, a it's good that I did, because I almost bought a bad one.
I personally don't have any experience with cooling mats for laptops so I can't really help you. Sorry. :/
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Zexion

I used to have one that was about the same size. I'm a big guy and I still found it uncomfortable.. it definitely looks functional, but as far as recommendation, I'd suggest looking for a smaller one if you are a smaller person.

Though the more I look at it, the better it looks. My old one didn't have a flat surface on the bottom. It kinda curved upwards leaving a huge gap, so it felt unsturdy and uncomfortable while on my lap.

WhiteRose

Quote from: Zexion on August 26, 2013, 05:24:06 pm
I used to have one that was about the same size. I'm a big guy and I still found it uncomfortable.. it definitely looks functional, but as far as recommendation, I'd suggest looking for a smaller one if you are a smaller person.

I'm definitely on the smaller side. The biggest challenge is that my computer is not. It's a rather weighty 17"er, so a lot of these smaller mats leave it hanging over the edge precariously.

Quote from: Zexion on August 26, 2013, 05:24:06 pm
My old one didn't have a flat surface on the bottom. It kinda curved upwards leaving a huge gap, so it felt unsturdy and uncomfortable while on my lap.

A few of the ones I'm looking at now have that same sort of curve that you are talking about - I was thinking it looked a little bit unsteady. :P

Zexion

Quote from: WhiteRose on August 26, 2013, 05:34:03 pm
a lot of these smaller mats leave it hanging over the edge precariously.

Ah, that is going to be tough then :s you might just have to get a really bulky mat and/or get used to playing with your laptop on a table or desk.
Also, oh god I know what you mean. My laptop is like 19" and pretty heavy. I can only imagine what someone like half my size would feel like with it.

WhiteRose

Quote from: Zexion on August 26, 2013, 05:39:15 pm
Quote from: WhiteRose on August 26, 2013, 05:34:03 pm
a lot of these smaller mats leave it hanging over the edge precariously.

Ah, that is going to be tough then :s you might just have to get a really bulky mat and/or get used to playing with your laptop on a table or desk.
Also, oh god I know what you mean. My laptop is like 19" and pretty heavy. I can only imagine what someone like half my size would feel like with it.

I didn't even know they made 19" laptops; I probably wouldn't be able to even carry it. XD

Zexion

You should see them alien-wares...I don't think you can even call it a "lap"top" at that point.

WhiteRose

August 26, 2013, 05:45:43 pm #7 Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 05:47:48 pm by WhiteRose
Quote from: Zexion on August 26, 2013, 05:43:53 pm
You should see them alien-wares...I don't think you can even call it a "lap"top" at that point.

...what would you say if I told you that my computer is an M17x?

EDIT: http://forum.chaos-project.com/index.php/topic,4890.msg105743.html#msg105743

Zexion

Omg, you haz alienware *jealous face*
But no, I saw that model at the store, and next to it was this other even bulkier one. It was like the size of a small tv I swear to god. I will try to find it lol

WhiteRose

August 26, 2013, 05:55:08 pm #9 Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 05:57:35 pm by WhiteRose
Quote from: Zexion on August 26, 2013, 05:52:44 pm
Omg, you haz alienware *jealous face*
But no, I saw that model at the store, and next to it was this other even bulkier one. It was like the size of a small tv I swear to god. I will try to find it lol

Lol. XD I'm looking forward to seeing it.

On topic, I've been looking at this one for a few minutes, and it looks alright. I'm not sure, though; I'll have to keep looking. Buying things is really stressful for me, for some reason.

EDIT: This one also looks pretty good, as far as keeping my laptop from burning my thighs off, but it doesn't have much padding. It's a bit cheaper, too.

Zexion

On-Topic: That one looks nice actually. Seems comfy and well made.

Well I couldn't find it on ebay, but in real life I think it was like 5-7 inches thick when it is closed. It looks ridiculous it was actually right next to a similar model of your laptop. Don't get me wrong, they are both huge, but that one had the added bulky case around it o.o

Also: I looked up my laptop on ebay and it's just 17" XD I assumed 19 because it's the same size as a little 19" tv that I have, but I guess the actual screen on my laptop is tinier than I thought

WhiteRose

On an unrelated note, customer reviews on Amazon are really funny sometimes. XD One review begins with "I am not a good typist so I copied this review that says exactly what I am experiencing," and then proceeds to have the exact same review as the one beneath it. Hahahaha.

Zexion

Yeah, I was gonna say make sure to read a lot of the reviews because honestly some people just find anything that annoys them and write a bad review and vice-versa