Smiley Addiction

Started by WhiteRose, August 26, 2013, 05:52:58 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteRose

I've noticed that I seem to go through phases of smiley faces. I'll completely overuse one for a while, and then without thought, switch a few weeks later to a different smiley. For a while, it was "XD;" the latest model is ":P". Sometimes, without any thought, I'll just not use any smileys for a few weeks. It's not even a conscious thing. Does anyone else have this problem, or am I just crazy? D:

Zexion

I have this problem, but I don't change smilelys. I'm just addicted to the :P face

WhiteRose

There was a forum-wide fascination with the ":V" face for a while, if I remember right.

Oh, also, this face: O_o

I like that face.

Blizzard

I actively reduced the amount of smileys I use heavily. Though, I had periods where I would always have one favorite smiley which I would use often.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

ShadowPierce

I almost always end my sentences with smileys or emoticons...

I need rehab... :(

Spoiler: ShowHide
Quote from: Blizzard on February 16, 2011, 03:44:48 pmThere you go. It's the proof that SDK is crap. It's incompatible with itself.
3DS Friend Code: ShowHide
1161-0627-9890

Spaceman McConaughey

>:( 8) :'( :evil: :^_^': :haha: :) :<_<: :huh: :-* :naughty: :ninja: :O.o: :( :shy: *gets shot down by Blizzard before he manages to do more*

But yeah, I always love fucking around with a certain smiley for a while.

WhiteRose

In a casual environment, I actually find that smileys help to convey one's intended tone in order to avoid being misinterpreted. However, I also think that too many looks a little bit immature. So, I guess it's an act of balancing professionalism with convenience.

PhoenixFire

I find them very useful when trying to convey a certain emotional tone, or the intended feeling that the recipient should get, and therefore I tend to use them a lot as well. I've noticed too (recently even), that sometimes it makes the difference in a paragraph sounding like an angry, argumentative lecture, or, a lighthearted informational piece. The more I use them, the more I find myself on auto-pilot with them. So yes, I would say I'm addicted as well.
Quote from: Subsonic_Noise on July 01, 2011, 02:42:19 amNext off, how to create a first person shooter using microsoft excel.

Quote from: Zeriab on September 09, 2011, 02:58:58 pm<Remember when computers had turbo buttons?

Dreaming Sun

My conversational things are filled with them ;~; About half my sentences usually have an emote in them, about half the time xD But D: . ;~; , c: , and x3 are particularly common. I shift at times though: at times I've used ^_^ , >_> , :3 , /o/ , :-: , and... well, lots super commonly. It's goooood though, since it means there's a lot less ambiguity in my tone and I don't feel there's anything wrong with reminding people you aren't out to kill them? Though it is admittedly weird if I, like, begin and end a sentence with the same emote (which isn't too uncommon).

And I guess yeah it probably looks a little immature. But I guess I hope my more serious posts have good enough content that it doesn't really matter? Iunno.

Shalaren

I use the :P all the time, and to be honest sometimes for absolutely no reason.
Its almost like the need to prove that what I post isn't all serious.

G_G

My over used ones are
._.
:3
;-;
xD

In the order of excessive usage.

Crasger

I've never use smileys anymore. They make posts sound less informal and it looks kinda silly. Overusing smileys can easily identify you as immature on some places so be careful with their use.

Either it's that, or I'm just rather serious whenever I talk to people.

PhoenixFire

I think my most overused ones are gonna  have to be

-_-

:3

=)

=p

Not necessarily in that order...
Quote from: Subsonic_Noise on July 01, 2011, 02:42:19 amNext off, how to create a first person shooter using microsoft excel.

Quote from: Zeriab on September 09, 2011, 02:58:58 pm<Remember when computers had turbo buttons?

WhiteRose

I see that you usually go for the "=" eyes rather than the ":" eyes. I'm usually more of a ":" eyes person, myself, but I like both.

Blizzard

I used to have phases. I would keep using ":" most of the time, but then I would switch to "=" for a few months and back later.

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Crasger

Well, that's rather interesting.

Blizzard

Oh god, I think I started using the o.o; smiley again too much.

WhiteRose

Quote from: Blizzard on July 01, 2014, 03:45:17 pm
Oh god, I think I started using the o.o; smiley again too much.

At least it doesn't only happen to me. Haha.

legacyblade

I know the feeling o.o I've been addicted to the same...3ish smilies since I first entered the internet.

they are o.o :P and XD

lately, I've been switching it up with a bit of :3

But I don't know how not to use them! They're just so ingrained in my typing pattern! Even in typing the sentence, I really wanted to use o.o and :P

How do I stop! XD

Spaceman McConaughey