What is going on with RPG::Class @element_ranks and @state_ranks?

Started by ForeverZer0, September 07, 2013, 10:08:55 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ForeverZer0

Okay, so I decided to play around with RMXP out of boredom, first time in over a year, and I ran into something confusing.
Now, keep in mind that I am extremely rusty when it comes to RMXP, and it is taking time even remembering every last detail again...

So here's the problem/issue/interesting thing/misinformation/whatever you want to call it that I found. In the RMXP help manual, it says this about the different rank values:

Quote from: From the RMXP Help Manual: RPG::Classelement_ranks
Level of elemental effectiveness. 1-dimensional array using element IDs as subscripts (Table), with 6 levels (0: A, 1: B, 2: C, 3: D, 4: E, 5: F).

state_ranks
Level of status effectiveness. 1-dimensional array using status IDs as subscripts (Table), with 6 levels (0: A, 1: B, 2: C, 3: D, 4: E, 5: F).

Now, as I read that, it says a value of "C" in the editor should be "2". Correct?
Then why is it that if, using a default project where every rank is set to "C" in the editor, the actual values are 3's?

I simply just ran this little snippet after loading a game:
    table = $data_classes[1].element_ranks
    array = []
    (0..table.xsize).each {|i| array.push(table[i]) }
    p array

I don't know if I used to know why this was, if this is a bug, just a typo in the manual, or what. Any clues for an old scripter who forgets everything?

I am done scripting for RMXP. I will likely not offer support for even my own scripts anymore, but feel free to ask on the forum, there are plenty of other talented scripters that can help you.

KK20

Looks like a typo to me. I wonder why it is like [1..6] instead of [0..5] though.

Have you tried changing one of the ranks to 0, saving the change to the file, reopen the project, and view the database?

Other Projects
RPG Maker XP Ace  Upgrade RMXP to RMVXA performance!
XPA Tilemap  Tilemap rewrite with many features, including custom resolution!

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: 8310-1917-5318
Discord: KK20 Tyler#8901

Join the CP Discord Server!

ForeverZer0

Nope, not yet, but a quick look into Game_Actor confirms that it's pretty much just a typo. In the editor, it SHOULD read that "D" is the "normal" factor to apply, if you were using the conventional method listed in the manual, but it shows "C" instead. That's kinda weird, but whatever, I guess. A level of 3 is the "normal".

Game_Actor: ShowHide
  #--------------------------------------------------------------------------
  # * Get Element Revision Value
  #     element_id : element ID
  #--------------------------------------------------------------------------
  def element_rate(element_id)
    # Get values corresponding to element effectiveness
    table = [0,200,150,100,50,0,-100]
    result = table[$data_classes[@class_id].element_ranks[element_id]]
    # If this element is protected by armor, then it's reduced by half
    for i in [@armor1_id, @armor2_id, @armor3_id, @armor4_id]
      armor = $data_armors[i]
      if armor != nil and armor.guard_element_set.include?(element_id)
        result /= 2
      end
    end
    # If this element is protected by states, then it's reduced by half
    for i in @states
      if $data_states[i].guard_element_set.include?(element_id)
        result /= 2
      end
    end
    # End Method
    return result
  end
I am done scripting for RMXP. I will likely not offer support for even my own scripts anymore, but feel free to ask on the forum, there are plenty of other talented scripters that can help you.

KK20

Well, it's not the first time the help file has been wrong. I reported a while back saying both the RMXP and RMVXA help files state Viewport#disposed? exists when it really doesn't.

Other Projects
RPG Maker XP Ace  Upgrade RMXP to RMVXA performance!
XPA Tilemap  Tilemap rewrite with many features, including custom resolution!

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: 8310-1917-5318
Discord: KK20 Tyler#8901

Join the CP Discord Server!