Global Warming

Started by Fantasist, January 10, 2008, 10:27:29 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Fantasist

Is it a crisis in the first place? And is it really human made? I say none:

This is a layman's myth buster, simple and to the point. In the end, there's a reference to a petition against global warming. You might want to google it if you're interested.
http://www.abd.org.uk/green_myths.htm

Got to love this one. It's got statistical data, and it puts the evidences in favor of global warming in question based on the accuracy of the methods normally appliedto collect data.
http://xtronics.com/reference/globalwarming.htm

And this is a rather aggressive take on global warming.
http://www.americanpolicy.org/un/thereisnoglobal.htm

Do you like ambient/electronic music? Then you should promote a talented artist! Help out here. (I'm serious. Just listen to his work at least!)

The best of freeware reviews: Gizmo's Freeware Reviews

Blizzard

January 10, 2008, 11:45:28 am #1 Last Edit: January 10, 2008, 11:47:55 am by Blizzard
Actually fro last what I heard it's not mankind's fault that it's getting warmer. One volcano alone yearly lets off more CO2 than all mankind. It's a natural cycle which means that we could soon have another ice age. =/
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Calintz

I didn't know that!!
Hmm...to think, Ice Age, kinda creepy isn't it?

We may have the most sophisticated technology out there, but that doesn't mean that the world is ready for another Ice Age...

Vell

Earth is ready for everything that it itself creates...

the Earth has a lifespan of tis own, and every day it gives us a blessing of warmth from its Core... however... it HAS a lifespan, which we are decreasing, by sucking the world dry with everything we do... we are shortening that lifespan, several times before, the Earth stopped sending its heat, it died down, letting its Core, its Soul, recover, after having been weakened by something, most likely just a long time of keeping up the constant heat it does... it took too much of Earth's own strength...

I'm not saying the Earth is living AND breathing, but im sure as damned hell saying the Earth is living, the earth, like humans, has a soul, and just like humans, that soul grants it its warmth, however, while a humans soul takes the form of a heart, the Earth's took the form of its Core, and with it, it shared its warmth and shared its lifespan with the animals, the plants, the humans on its back.

now Earth may have to wound down, we know its been several thousands of years, and if humanity believes that Earth's cycle will stop for them, I welcome there imminent death, sure, I will die with humanity, but i dont mind dieing whenever, I'm just living in a corrupt world of people who want more power among there kind.

Earth may have another, as we call it 'ice age' soon, oh well, if one DOESNT come, well... what? is the Earth's soul to wither and wane for eternity? for the few thousand years left? tell me, would you rather we all end and new life come, and have the planet live longer, or would you rather we live a little longer and die along with Earth?

is it not true that most humans enjoy heat and warmth over cold and bitter frost? so, a slight rise might be Earth's way of forgiving us for Defiling her, and a way of apologizing for not being able to give us a longer span, however, just as a mother who gives her child, she fears if she can give us a good life and thus trades us, so that she may recover and grow stronger enough to nurture another species for the time it requires. it sounds horrible... however, is that because you decided that? or were you raised to believe that someone who gives a child up, be it young or old, is horrible? if so can u truly say that u believe it?

Blizzard

OMG WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE!!!111oneone

Nvm the spam. I think, even though the air pollution might not really contribute to global warming, I still think people should reduce it. The reasons are simple: Have you seen how Chicago looked like from the far in the 90s? It was covered in a smoke fog (smog). =/ Imagine how many people can get problems and even deseases with breathing. =/

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Vell

Nortos

Either way if our pollution is helping the C02 levels or not and even if Volcanoes make more we should still saviour our energy and look for more renewable sorts as there won't always be fossil fuels and oil ect also here in Australia we are even conserving water as we are in a draught mainly because the migrators in the 17th-18th century screwed our big river "The Murray River" up with trees they brought in which weren't suited to the river and salted it.

Calintz

Agreed...
I mean if you think about it, the only beautiful places on earth practically anymore, are landmarks that are being protected, and that'd be the only reason that they haven't been destroyed.

Nortos

Venice used to be beutfiful from pics but one my friends went there and said the waters like yellow...

Galatea

Hmmmm, many says that a comet will hit earth. 80% of humanity will vanished.
Thats from i think the Bible, All that happens in "Noah's Arc" will happen again.

Another is, they say that the earth will hit the 12th planet, they named it "Nibiru"
( Its the planet next to pluto. )

AND, all of that will happen if Global Warming will stick to high that it destroys
the athnosphere. Good thing, we RMXP users doesnt harm the ozone layer. right?

(Watch the 12th planet!!! at youtube, just type "Nibiru")
All shall be revealed!  ;D

Nortos

for the sake of this being moved to spam...But if we polute even more we'll miss Nibiru like in Futurama when all the robots let out their vents at once imediately traveling further away from the sun and lowering the earths temperature :P

Galatea

So, we need robots to avoid Global Warming?

Nortos

exactly (writing these words in brackets to avoid one word post :P)

Galatea

Hmmmm, exactly what kind of robot is that?

Hey, its good to create a rpg which the story is about Global Warming.
What do you think? ( Oh no, off topic again! Sorry! )

STOP GLOBAL WARMING!  ::)

Vell

i say if it kills humanity off, let it stay, let it kill us, obviously if were not doin much to contribute to it, Earth wants us gone.

Galatea

Yeah, what an awful truth.  :(

Vell

not awful for me, or for you when you think about it, all I'm doing is living in a world created by corruption and human greed and human-caused destruction, and in order to survive I must play it by their rules, I like to stay alive so i can do stuff, however, if humanity were to go exctinct, I'd gladly fall with them.

Nortos

lol I love Ulta's views on life their awesome

Vell

so pessimistic as i am, one cannot wonder but as to why I can look forward to the next day.

Calintz

I think that this will happen regardless if humans live to see it or not.

- I believe that eventually, that the sun is going to die. It's just one big star, and like all others, I think it's gonna fizzle out. After that, it'll make earth an uninhabitable planet. Everything on earth's gonna freeze and dry up.

Vell

Earth will die indefinitely upon that day, and my Soul shall weep if it makes it to then.

Fantasist

sigh... we should stop global warming when there's nothing we can do to effect it? Did you guys know that global warming actually promotes vegetation? Ulta, I had your views on Earth some time ago, the time when I decided to dedicate my life to bringing awareness and I actually forned a group of friends. Sure I was a kid, but I was really moved. That zeal made me research more and I came to the conclusion that there's no reason we should care, and in fact, we should be (dare I say) 'selfish'. Earth is not as motherly as you put it, it's awesome, magnificent, complex andd far beyond our comprehension. We think about preserving nature, while we forget that the same 'nature' is just like us, ruthlesly modifying it's surroundings to its advantage. That IS nature. We don't need to worry about Earth half as much as we need to worry about oourselves. Not because there's going to be a doom's day or an other ice age, because of what Bliz said so simply:
QuoteI think, even though the air pollution might not really contribute to global warming, I still think people should reduce it. The reasons are simple: Have you seen how Chicago looked like from the far in the 90s? It was covered in a smoke fog (smog). =/ Imagine how many people can get problems and even deseases with breathing. =/

That's EXACTLY my opinion. Preventing pollution and thinking "we're saving the planet" or "we're paying our price to mother Earth" is ridiculuous. We do what we do for ourselves, for our survival, our flourishing, because no matter what we say, we ARE a part of nature and we have the desire to flourish, not just survive.

Some quotes I came up with:

"Earth doesn't need cocky monkeys (that's humans :D)"
"We're just idiots to worry about affecting the planet, of course we are, just like every other living and non-living thing on Earth"
Do you like ambient/electronic music? Then you should promote a talented artist! Help out here. (I'm serious. Just listen to his work at least!)

Vell

I, am Atheist, and on an almost daily basis people ask me, 'if you dont believe in god, what do you believe in?' my response: 'my own views that I've come up with, views that I could explain to you, but would take a long time, time I dont have, I've chosen to create my own ideas, and expand upon those with new knowledge, instead of blindly following the ideas and laws others have set for us, you say I'll go to hell for not believing in god? well fine, believe that, and when your soul shatters and is taken in by the Abyss and used to fuel its own desires before mine, I'll be laughing.' altho sometimes i just say the parts up until 'laws other have set for us'

Galatea

Nice nice, both of you.  ;D

Fantasist

I think in similar lines Ulta, but a bit different about 'Abyss' and like. I believe in one thing: Giving myself time to discover my true stance. I'm an athiest, but I feel I should think furthur and find answers to some questions that have been bothering me from a very young age. Anyway, back on topic, can anyone dig out the advantages of Global Warming?

Offtopic:
Spoiler: ShowHide
@Galatea:
QuoteHey, its good to create a rpg which the story is about Global Warming.
What do you think? ( Oh no, off topic again! Sorry! )

I already tried during when I was a 'kid'. I did so seriously, I decided to make an RPG in Gamemaker which is a pain in the ass, and I actually gathered sprites for the characters. Maybe I should revive that project? B)

Vell

meh, The Abyss is part of my beliefs, it acts in conjunction with the Restorative Plain, and the Cleansing Plain, the three are linked and serve similar purposes, however, thats offtopic.

anyway, meh, I dont know anything about Global Warming, so i cant say anytin bout negative or positive effects/aftereffects.

at one point humanity will believe they have the ability to lengthen the Earth's and the Sun's lifespan. UGH!

Sally

it might just be a cycle in the world,

do som reaserch. i might do some later.

Vell

no i wont, it doesnt interest me enough.

Nortos

I'm an aethiest and people don't come up to me everyday and say what do you believe in lol. Anyway back on topic, it will probably be possible to lengthen stars spans in future there already doing that with certain types of matter and elements ect

Vell

GREAT! JUST GREAT! NEXT THING U KNOW YOULL BE ABLE TO SPEND FIFTY BUCKS TO INCREASE YOUR LIFESPAN BY TEN YEARS! and make your entire physical wellbeing be increased by tenfold.

Nortos

well actually pples average life spans have increased in the past one hundred years due to better medicine and knowledge >.>

Vell

i know that, but im saying its ridiculous, soon enough humans will want to control the weather, there using technology to gear themselves to become 'gods'

Fantasist

I don't agree with "soon enough". It will at least be another generation at least. We're not as smart as we think, we have little control over the Earth.

Vell

thats my point exactly, but Humanity DOESNT realise that >.>

Fantasist

Vell

i dont count myself among those fools, I'm part of Humanity Sect 77 The Intelligent.

damn it.

just got a freaking idea for a RP

Blizzard

The sun should stay intact for another 5 billion years though.

Sally

5billion years!!! ill be deadz by then!! noooo

Fantasist

Yeah, I think it's half way through its estimated lifespan of 10 billion years.

Vell

yeah somewhere around there, tho, HOW THE HELL DO WE HAVE ANY CLUE OF ITS ESTIMATED LIFESPAN?

Nortos

from seeing the distance from other stars are from us with light travel that are around the same size and when they explode it gets a bit confusing and I can't explain very well but they know. Our sun is only between a medium and a small star there's stars out there like 20 times bigger I'm pretty sure I read it somewhere

Blizzard

That's true, our sun is actually a small one.

I'd say they estimated it on many measurings. It's like this:

"The sun has 100 EJ of energy left, that's what we can say by its size and density of molecules. In 24 earthly hours it spends about 1 EJ on nuclear reactions. Let's say it will stay intact for about 90 days and in the last 10 days it will turn into a 'red giant'."

Of course, 100 EJ is nothing for our sun. :P It's not like they say "The sun will vanish in 5168219417 years, 283 days, 2 hours, 51 minutes and 11,451 seconds".

Vell

Nortos

January 14, 2008, 06:41:42 am #43 Last Edit: January 14, 2008, 06:43:19 am by Nortos
Quote from: Blizzard on January 14, 2008, 02:34:42 am
"The sun will vanish in 5168219417 years, 283 days, 2 hours, 51 minutes and 11,451 seconds".

Is that true? O.o

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH no now my plan for world domination won't be able to work as the sun will die than...
:P anyway ontopic likely the human race will be extinct by than...either us making A.I robots too sophisticated and they realise they don't need us, us destroying the earth with nuclear weapons :P it may happen, us using all resources, or a super galatic race kills us, or like in Reign of Fire all the dragons awaken :D

Vell

Nortos

yeah was pretty cool when it came out it's about Dragons lying dormant for thousands of years because last time they nearly wiped planet clean of food and so they were starving now they've awaken again to feast

Blizzard

I'd give it 8.5/10, so yeah, it was quite good.

Vell

oh cool, ill have to find a way to get it...

Fantasist

Since it's 'estimeted', it's just an estimate. Technical details? I think a star has different stages in it's lifespan and the Sun is in the middle somewhere I think. Soon enough, the sun becomes a red giant, larger than it is now and red.

Vell

I kno... Astronomy is one of m areas of interests, tho ive not taken a class on it or anythign, just remembered what i learned long time ago.

Punn

In case of ice age:

-Get everyone from all over the country (Yes.. Africa too..)
-Build a big cave, and build a fire
-Huddle for warmth, if necessary, sex will produce heat (Masturbation as well)

I planned it all out, we're set!

Nortos

Quote from: mumerus on January 14, 2008, 05:18:56 pm
In case of ice age:

-Get everyone from all over the country (Yes.. Africa too..)
-Build a big cave, and build a fire
-Huddle for warmth, if necessary, sex will produce heat (Masturbation as well)

I planned it all out, we're set!

rofl what's wrong with Africans lol??? and rofl at "(Masturbation as well)"

Fantasist

Same as above dude :D

But hey, where's the debate here? I thought I'd have strong opposition. Maybe global warming is not as misunderstood as I thought... good thing anyway :D

Vell

meh, i just don't believe anything either way in the end... whatever kills off humanity I'm backing up, unless it kills Earth in the process...

I AM NOT A FREAKING ENVIRONMENTALIST!

Fantasist

Vell

this one girl once asked me 'if u dont believe in god what do u believe in?'

my response 'my own beliefs i myself made up, not some shit tossed in my face that im supposed to believe in, I hate humanity and there destruction of earth'

'wait, youre a freaking environmentalist, and yet, you have a Wii? the most energy wasting, (insert long speech about how Wii kills the environment) console on the market?'

I didnt bother continuing the conversation.

Fantasist

rofl! Wiis destroy enviornment?! Really nice!

Sally

Fantasist

Sally

Nortos

How are Wii's bad for the environment 360's r the one's that take most power to run PS3 all the way as best :P

Vell

I think she was talkin bout Nintendo...

Nortos

Vell

lol, anyway yeah, I just didnt continue the conversation.

Blizzard

I better lock this before it turns into spam. :3

Fantasist

January 16, 2008, 07:45:26 am #65 Last Edit: January 16, 2008, 07:47:13 am by Fantasist
Good point, that's what I was afraid of.

*locks topic*

EDIT: Wait, it's already locked? The fast reply box is misleading >.<

Blizzard

No, I just locked it less than 97 seconds before you posted so you couldn't see this left, next to the quick reply box:
Warning: this topic is currently locked! Only admins and moderators can reply.

Fantasist

Yeah, I see it now. So this is the last post for good :)

Vell

umm nope, the thread is reopened apparently

Blizzard

Yes, I reopened it on request and now stop spamming it up. -_-

Phasedscar

Quote from: BlizzHard on January 10, 2008, 11:45:28 am
Actually fro last what I heard it's not mankind's fault that it's getting warmer. One volcano alone yearly lets off more CO2 than all mankind. It's a natural cycle which means that we could soon have another ice age. =/

The reason for that is from the normally salty Atlantic Ocean gaining fresh water from the polar ice cap melt.  As more freshwater is introduced the chance for the Mid Atlantic Current shutting off increases exponentially.  When that shuts off warm water from the equator can no longer reach the northern reagons such as England and the eastern seaboard of the US.

Also, durring the Cretacious Period, the average temperature of the earth was about 6ºC warmer (about 11ºF) then it is now.  I don't believe Global Warming is completely caused by man, though I know we do contribute.  But I also thing the Earth is MUCH more resilient then we give it credit for.  I mean after all we've suffered 6 mass extinction periods before entering this age.

Granted that the dinosaurs demise was not for environmental reason, but rather the cataclismic event known as the KT Event where a 6 mile wide (9 KM) meteor smashed into the earth, causing any living thing within 1000 miles of ground zero to perish instantly.  Dibrea from the impact sent hunders of thousands of tons of material into space where it stayed there for roughly a day before crashing back down causing the surface of the earth to heat up to about 300ºC.  In this event 80% of the life on Earth was extinguished.  But out of that mammals took over again the earth was recolonized by a plathora of living organisms.

The whole point of that was to basically illustrate that even though a catastrophic event can happen, it does not mean the end of life on this planet.  I don't expect that to happen for about another 3 billion years when the sun expands and swallows the Earth whole.
My own game project & My resource workshop! (respectively)
http://forum.chaos-project.com/index.php?topic=608.0 http://forum.chaos-project.com/index.php?topic=682.0

What that is? Affection area for flails. - Blizz-ABS, the ultimate ABS

The pictures in your signature may altogether be no more than 200kB. The height must not exceed 200 px and the width must not exceed 800 px. Altogether they may take up an area of 160000 px2. Every signature not matching this criteria is a subject of the moderator team to remove and leave this rule as message in your signature.

Vell

well, Earth itself will survive, and creatures will always keep popping up on it as long as it exists, (plethora/debris) its just i do not believe humanity is doing good for it, the Earth is SUPERIOR to us in EVERY way, we have to cheat just to escape it for a few months, probably shorter actually. and even then, we have to return shortly.

even in Star Trek, if they didnt have 'replicators' theres no way they would have been able to go on long journeys, for the sole reason that they would have to restock on food.

and we're barely a fraction on it, and as far as we know we're killing it, and all we think is 'Oh shit, Earth might be dieing, HOW DOES HUMANITY SURVIVE?!' not a single person gives a shit about the planet. its all, OH NO HUMANITY GONNA DIE! if Earth is threatened but humanity will be fine itd be like 'meh, bye Earth, wheres planet number two?'

Phasedscar

I suspect that within the next 100 years or so we'll come up with quite a few new technologies that will vastly improve our quality of life and that for the rest of the planet.  This year the first flexable solar cells will be coming out, and they can be made into things like roofing shingles.

Not to mention the idea of having gardens on top of buildings as part of the heating and cooling systems.

Personally I think the best thing that will be coming out in the next few years will be the hydrogen cars.  Something that splits H2O into H and O both of which are fuels, and converts them back into water again is a very effecient use of materials.

I honestly wish fusion power plants were developed already, but I don't expect it to happen for at least another 30 years.
http://forum.chaos-project.com/index.php?topic=608.0 http://forum.chaos-project.com/index.php?topic=682.0

The pictures in your signature may altogether be no more than 200kB. The height must not exceed 200 px and the width must not exceed 800 px. Altogether they may take up an area of 160000 px2. Every signature not matching this criteria is a subject of the moderator team to remove and leave this rule as message in your signature.

Vell

truthfully, as long as humanity doesnt end up continuing to make it so i have to hear agony every night, I MIGHT decide to hate them a TAD less.

Blizzard

Wait a moment, nuclear power plants are based on the fusion of atoms. What exactly would a fusion power be?

I know that fission is much more powerful than fusion, though. But the power resulting from fission is still to devastating to be actually usable. Scientists are still trying to figure out how to control the process of fission, so it's pretty hard to tell when there may be a breakthrough.

I believe that if humanity is able to actually master power production (and I mean in such a way that energy is not just cheap but free), it might have a chance against extreme climatic changes without "leaving the planet" for a period of time. The main problem of humanity "destroying" the planet today is the actual lack of resources. In fact, people are supposed to give back resources to the planet in a different form from the one they use. A good example would be planting new a new forest if cutting off another one. Humans simply take the resources and don't give anything back. Solving this problem or at least finding a better solution is one of the challenges of the 21st century.
There already are many laws for protection of the environment and the fines are high enough that it doesn't pay off for most companies not to follow them. Many more laws are protocols are planned for the future.

Phasedscar

March 14, 2008, 08:06:30 am #75 Last Edit: March 14, 2008, 08:10:34 am by Phasedscar
You got that backwards Blizz, fission is the seperation of an atom's nuclei into 2 distinct new atoms, and is what we're doing already.  We split Uranium and Plutonium atoms down until it turns into Iron Ferite.  Uranium and Plutonium are extremely unstable atoms which is why they're prime candidates for this process.  Unfortunately it leaves behind the toxic byproduct of nuclear waste...

Fusion is what the sun does, combining atoms together to create larger atoms.  Hydrogen fuses together to form Helium.  The real power from this comes in the fact that it takes several steps where energy is created for each transformation. 

The Helium bomb was the first nuclear device to harness the power of fusion, but as it is, we can only sustain it for a few seconds at an actual loss of power instead of gaining power.  The Hydrogen Atomic Bomb that was dropped on Nagasake and Hieroshima was a fission bomb and was extremely powerful in it's own right, but released about 5 times less energy then it's fusion brother.

I just wanted to clear that up for ya  :)  On everything else, I definitely agree.

Oh, I forgot to mention, fusion is safer to use because it doesn't leave radio-active materials as a by product.  The process can't continue after Iron, which is the last of the stable metals.  I can't say this for sure but I think with fusion one bucket (about 3 liters) of water can generate about 7 megawatts of power.

Blizzard

Ah, thanks. Yes, I obviously confused them. xD

I wouldn't say that fusion is safer. I'd rather say it's cleaner as (just like you already said) there are no radio-active byproducts. If I'm not wrong fusion is more devastating than fission as it releases more power and large amounts of power are harder to keep under control.

Phasedscar

Yeah, that's one of my chief concerns about it, but I think just like most nuclear power plants going online today they'll be about 20 miles from the nearest town.  Far enough away that IF it explodes it wont harm a large portion of the population.

My guess is power will be provided and supplimented  through mainly wind, solar, geothermal and hydro-electric generators.  Fusion will probably be used to provide large quantities for power for several cities larger then 250,000 people and military, science R&D complexes like NASA.  Either way it's better then coal, and will ultimately be cheaper then fossil fuels...  I just don't ever expect energy to become free.

Maybe it will in the long shot future when we have solar panals with 80% effeciency in capturing sunlight?

Blizzard

March 14, 2008, 09:46:14 am #78 Last Edit: March 14, 2008, 09:47:39 am by Blizzard
Phew, 80%, that's a lot. The usual is 16%-18% for now, even though a friend told me the other days that somebody was able to make a solar cell that runs at 25% efficiency. The little problem with solar energy is that the technology is developing, but not that fast. There were a few boosts of development during history (like the crude oil crisis in the early 70's and the energy crisis at the end of that decade in the last century), but they were not constant. Still, solar energy technology is still being developed and had an increase rate of 10%-20% per year during the last couple of years. In 2007, though, the increase was 50%: From installed 6GW the capacity went up to 9GW. I suppose the "current crude oil crisis" boosted the development. I am really curious what rate of growth there will be this year.

It's interesting, though, that even solar power plants are not without side effects. Of course those side effects are much weaker than the one from a power plant that runs on fossil fuel, but there still are. One type of solar power plant can cause damage to the eyesight due to increased electromagnetic radiation of reflected light beams. Another one can cause an increasement of the average temperature in that region. Of course this goes for solar power plants that were built close to settlements.
Another factor could be the ironic need of energy, people and material resources to built such a power plant. xD In any case a solar power plant pays off very soon and can deliver relatively clean energy.

I wrote a hands-on seminar a couple of months ago so I'm pretty much informed on that subject. :)

Phasedscar

certainly sounds like it lol.

50% a year is about the same rate as transisters, so maybe it wont be as far away as I was thinking, possibly in the next 40 years if the trend continues.

Keep in mind though that not all solar power plants have to use the liquid salts that the current day ones do.  There might be a trend to start using solar panels as roofing shingles, siding, house paint, car paint, acrilec glass, tempered class, and so on.  Basically every exposed surface of your house and car can generate electricity rather then take electricity.

I mean, imagine it, a time when homes don't pay electric bills and you no longer need to get gas for your car?  Assuming humanity lasts that long it'd be a great step forward into advancing civilization.

Blizzard

I was just talking about solar power plants without the home installations. And there are several various types of power plants, not only the ones that use liquid salt. ;) They are the most advanced, yet almost nobody knows about them. But everybody knows about solar cells. ::)

Yeah, but first I hope that the prices fall. If they keep raising, it won't be that easy to simply fall back to free gas/power. #_#

Vell

theyll have to slowly like, siphon out our current energy form when that comes, to protect the economy. and theres a probability that companies that DEPEND upon Oil will, and might be already, pay off scientists and such to NOT make a new form, theyll figure, 'this wont happen in MY lifetime, I dont need to worry about it NEH NEH NEH GREED >:K' thenagain, maybe humanity will change, I doubt it, but meh.

Starrodkirby86

I just watched the Al Gore Documentary about Global Warming. Eventually, they say Global Warming will eventually flood the coasts and the cities, which includes Manhattan. Global Warming also ruined the environment by moving in creatures who aren't supposed to be at that time. For example, the Pine Beetle who resides at the West area isn't supposed to be there during the Winter, but apparently they are because of the rise in temperature. That means the trees get eaten and D:...

Also, Carbon and etcetera rates are at their all time high, even in generations before. This is the highest it ever been, off the charts. I wish humanity will change however, but we'll see about that.

What's osu!? It's a rhythm game. Thought I should have a signature with a working rank. ;P It's now clickable!
Still Aqua's biggest fan (Or am I?).

Vell

Phasedscar

A lot of those are some pretty bad missnomers though.  The biggest mistake people make is thinking nature is static when history proves otherwise.

It's natural for entire landscapes to change and species to die out.  And on an overall scale it's healthy for the planet.  The Bark Beetle and animals moving across locations is nothing new either, it's simply a fact of life.  I mean you can't expect insects, mammals, amphibians, and reptiles to respect state boundries, they're going to move around and overtake new areas in the search for survival.

There's also been evidence that we're still exiting the last ice age, which basically means the warming trend we're experiences not only has been slow, but may be totally natural.  Does that mean we're not contributing?  No, but it also means that it's possible it's a totally natural phenomenon that we're well aware of.  The polar ice caps melting is bad but it's also on another cycle.  80 Million years ago there was no northern polar ice cap, the average ocean height was 20 feet higher then it is today, and the average world temperature was almost 10ºF warmer then it is now.

I realize Al Gore is trying to do good for the planet (though he's a hypocrit, since his home has one of the worst energy use standards in the country, and he even borrows energy tokens to pay for it).  But you can't take "An Inconvienent Truth" as fact because a lot of the science he's proposing in there is still speculative.

There's a lot to this issue which hasn't been addressed, and others which are said to be fact when they are, in fact, not studied for long and well enough to conclusive prove it's existince.  My point being is actually study the facts for yourself and don't rely on scare tactic movies like "An Inconvienent Truth" to sway your opinions.  By and large the scientific community agrees that global warming does exist, the debate is weather man caused the whole thing or it's a natural trend (which happens on a 20,000 year cycle).

There's a lot to nature and weather that's often used as a scare tactic that simply isn't true.  I've been told as many as 7 species will become extinct each year.  And I've heard that as many as 10 new ones may emerge.  The total bio-mass of the planet is really no less now then it was hundreds of thousands of years ago, it's just been changed, evolved, or died out.  The cycle of life is what this is really about, and simply put there's just not enough we know about it in the 400 years of true study we've done on the subject to diffinitively say "the world is coming to an end!"

Vell

at any point I still hate humanity, it dont matter if there causin it or not, Humanity is still causing many grieviences to Earth, I couldn't explain it to someone whos pure science, Ive tried, they just cant hear anything that is emotional, or something like that, there all MENTALITY, and bullcrap. at any rate I;ll leave this thread as im not contributing much and it just succeeds in ticking me off. later

Phasedscar

March 15, 2008, 03:23:18 pm #86 Last Edit: March 15, 2008, 03:23:53 pm by Phasedscar
Pure science is as bad as pure religion, both lack any morals and they bend to their own decadince and coward behind their "almighty providence."

So I completely agree with you on the fact that humanity as a whole is a very beastly creature.  Thankfully we don't have very many Dr. Magdolins anymore, but that doesn't stop terrible people from being experimented on or others being completely brainwashed into thinking that Googubugajubi will save them from the 2nd coming of the Grays.

The point I was making is make your own decisions on the cases of global warming, don't let others tell you what to think.

Vell

i never let others tell me how or what to think.

Blizzard

Yeah, always be an idividual and think for yourself. It may be easier to just listen to others, but don't let them take away your individuality by brainwashing you.

Vell

Blizzard

I just said that you should keep it up. O_o

Vell

Fantasist

March 19, 2008, 11:27:18 am #92 Last Edit: March 19, 2008, 12:18:13 pm by Fantasist
omg, this thread is revived!

QuoteI don't believe Global Warming is completely caused by man, though I know we do contribute.  But I also thing the Earth is MUCH more resilient then we give it credit for.  I mean after all we've suffered 6 mass extinction periods before entering this age.

Exactly my point!

QuoteGranted that the dinosaurs demise was not for environmental reason, but rather the cataclismic event known as the KT Event where a 6 mile wide (9 KM) meteor smashed into the earth, causing any living thing within 1000 miles of ground zero to perish instantly.

Is that so? In Lost World (sequel to Jurrassic Park novel, by Michael Chrichton), there's something about the behaiours of dinosaurs being the main cause for their extinction. I'd like to know what you think about it.

Quoteand we're barely a fraction on it, and as far as we know we're killing it, and all we think is 'Oh shit, Earth might be dieing, HOW DOES HUMANITY SURVIVE?!' not a single person gives a shit about the planet. its all, OH NO HUMANITY GONNA DIE! if Earth is threatened but humanity will be fine itd be like 'meh, bye Earth, wheres planet number two?'

No, we are a part of earth. And what you said is te characteristic of all the living beings on earth. Do you think every other form of life is living in 'harmony with mothe nature'? Wrong. Every being of life is 'selfish', and NATURE has defined it that way. Survival is a living being' instinct which keeps it's race going. And what if we search for an oter planet when earth is destroyed? Do you know about the theory where life on earth was said to have been seeded on earth, and not born here?

Quotetheres a probability that companies that DEPEND upon Oil will, and might be already, pay off scientists and such to NOT make a new form

Ah, but its companies like that who will keep an eye on the new technologies and are probably making their own research. They can switch over eventually if the need arises.

QuoteFor example, the Pine Beetle who resides at the West area isn't supposed to be there during the Winter, but apparently they are because of the rise in temperature. That means the trees get eaten and D:...

Phasedscar covered it, but I wonder how Al Gore knows for sure whether the Pine beetle is 'not supposed to be' at a place. Nature is complex, and even the patterns we have observed over thousands of years may adopt a new change. That change may be a part of the trend, or it might be the first of its kind in a particular system. W can never know for sure. This applies to ALL systems, is what I believe. So we don't really know how close we are to reality.

QuoteA lot of those are some pretty bad missnomers though.  The biggest mistake people make is thinking nature is static when history proves otherwise.

Seconded. People fails to realize how active the earth is.

Quoteat any point I still hate humanity, it dont matter if there causin it or not, Humanity is still causing many grieviences to Earth, I couldn't explain it to someone whos pure science, Ive tried, they just cant hear anything that is emotional, or something like that, there all MENTALITY, and bullcrap

Emotional you say? I had to recover from a mental breakdown when I was 14, and the issue was my hatred for the human kind. Don't take me for a freak or something, but I think I understand what you're saying. on't know about you, but I accepted what I saw, and I realized  wasn't looking at the water in the half-filled glass. The grievences and pain all around are so prominent sometimes, that we forget to appreciate the good things in life. I'm STILL LEARNING to do that. nearly 4 years and I haven't completely recovered. I think I understand your views on humanity Ulta.

Phasedscar

I came close to the same thing when I was going through my puberty.  To be honest I think it's a part of growing up, we just gave it a scary name since "maturing" didn't sound frightening enough to cause people to buy drugs.

But that's a different story. . .

To get back on point.  The KT Event was widely believed to be the actual extinction even of the Jurassic.  Micheal Crichton is a remarkable author, and he spends an almost excessive amount of time studying what he's writing about.  But he wrote Jurassic Park: Isla Nublae a long time ago (I think it's copywrited 1996 or 1997, I don't have a copy with me, but I've read it) and at the time the debate over what caused the extinction of the dinosaurs was still pretty hotly debated.

It was the radar imaging from the space shuttle that finally put it to rest.  They found a 200 mile wide crater partly incompassing the Yeucatan Panninsula (sorry about my spelling, I'm really tired as I'm writing this).  Most of it is in the Gulf of Mexico and that's why it wasn't discovered until earlier this decade.  They found that, along with the strata of the rest of the world (the KT boundry), that it was 65.3 million years old, so it was major evidence in the Meteor Impact theory.

And...  Well what behaviors we know from dinosaurs is because of what we defer from their skeletal structures.  I mean, we still don't know if T-Rex was an active predator or a scavanger.  And more scientists are leaning towards the kind of all beast actually being nothing more than an oversized vulture.

On another note. . .

Many oil companies are starting to embrace new technologies mainly because they are getting pressure to.  Believe it or not, the public has an extreme amount of power on those particular types of companies.  Mainly in that we provide them with the sole source of their existance, money.  Economics is the single most powerful driving force for humanity right behind sex (yes.. a majority of wars and our history, the conquest of lands, was mainly to provide better lifestyles for our offspring, so one could argue that the mingling of genitals is the single most powerful urge for humanity... please don't quote me on that).

Also, in about 50 years they don't want to be out of business, they still want to be running multi-billion dollar companies.

Fantasist

Yeah, you're right. And Chrichton's my favourite author btw. Did you read 'State of Fear'? I think it's awesome and I recommend it for anyone interested in this issue.

Phasedscar

State of Fear was the global warming one, correct?

Fantasist

Yes, and about other environmental issues too.

Vell

who was it that wrote that one with the adapting virus that the baby survived because it was crying and its blood vessels were wide enough to not get killed while the virus was in a killing state and lived until it adapted?

Fantasist

Quotewho was it that wrote that one with the adapting viru....

If it's 'wrote', it's Michael Chrichton, in Andromeda Strain, right? Forgot the name of the character who figures it out, though.

Vell

i spelled it correctly... see? wrote i mean.

yeah Andromeda Strain, also who wrote that other one? the one i think it was called prey?

Fantasist

Michael Chrichton wrote Prey. It's awesome too. Have you read it?

Vell

yes... *goes to make topic in SPAM* now back to Global Warming.

if it exists, it sucks, if not, boo.

discuss

Phasedscar

I have read Prey, but not Andromeda Strain.

But back on topic.

Actually... Looking at everything we pretty much have the basics covered.  I mean I could get a degree in global climatology but I don't feel like 4 more years of school just to argue the points that should be common sense.