[RESOLVED] A couple questions about Blizz-ABS (Version 1.98)

Started by Cody64, July 19, 2008, 09:56:03 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Cody64

July 19, 2008, 09:56:03 pm Last Edit: July 25, 2008, 04:51:56 pm by Starrodkirby86
First of all, I'd like to say that I absolutely love Blizz-ABS!  This amazing script has addet so much to my RPG!

Now to a couple of questions that I have about the script...

1.  Is it possible to play an animation on an enemy when it respawns?  In all honestly, it really doesn't look bad when they spawn in front of you from time to time; I just think it would be cool to be able to give them custom animations...
2.  Is it possible to have an enemy use an animation when its healing an ally?  I don't use the health bars in my game, so there is really no way of knowing if the enemies are actually healing their allies  :<_<:...

Those are a couple things that I've been thinking about while making my game...  There might be a way to achieve these with my current version of Blizz-ABS (1.98) and I just don't know how...  If that's the case, and one of you could help me out with this, I'd be greatful :).

Aqua

1.  I think you'd need to tinker with the scripts... not sure

2.  Give the enemy that heals a spell with a target animation of healing.  The default heals are examples of this.

Cody64

Can enemies have multiple skills in Blizz-ABS?  Maybe I'm just confused, but I thought that everyone enemy could only be assigned one type of attack.  Additionally, I thought that enemies could also have the ability to heal allies, if given that AI option.  So, I thought that (in Blizz-ABS) all enemies could have one type of attack + have the ability to heal if you gave them that option.  Maybe I'm completely wrong :S...  If that's the case, how do you assign them the healing skill to use?  This is what it says in the Blizz-ABS manual:

Quote4.2.7. The "healer" Attribute
This is another simple attribute. If it is turned on, the enemy will give a higher priority to
using healing skills on other enemies. In this case the probability that this enemy will use a
healing skill is 3 times higher.

I guess maybe I'm confused on how to assign enemies different "healing" skills :S.  And, if that's the case, maybe I'm unaware of a lot of other cool features that I could be taking advantage of :o!  For, example, if I can assign different healing skills maybe I can assign differen "attack" skills :S...  Wow, if I'm missing out on some features then I'll feel sort of like a dumba$$, lol.  But, I guess I'm still sort of getting the hang of all this...

Aqua

Enemies can have as many skills as you want them to have; you just set it up in the Enemies tab of the Database.

And the healing AI thing makes the enemy use healing spells more wisely; it's not totally necessary. 

Cody64

Oh, wow, and I can't believe I hadn't realized that  :o!  I hadn't really started setting up "skills" untill recently, so I guess I had never really thought about it until today...  After tinkering a bit with the skills, I was able to get them working with the enemies :P...  Thanks!!! 

Nortos

With 1. i think would be fairly easy to do, would just have to find which part does the respawning, but be harder if wanted all to have different spawning animations. Unless you meant all the same?

Cody64

QuoteWith 1. i think would be fairly easy to do, would just have to find which part does the respawning, but be harder if wanted all to have different spawning animations. Unless you meant all the same?

Well, I think I probably could do that, as I've added in other small tweaks specific to my game.  To add something in that makes it possible to give every monster a different animation, I could probably add something like "def self.respawn"Enemies Module in PART 1 of the script.  Here's something that I added for Weapons:

def self.ammo(id)
      case id
      when 21 then return 5
      when 22 then return 4
      when 23 then return 3
      end
      return 1
    end

I'm making a modern day RPG, and that made it possible to subtract different "ammo" values to different guns.  For example, if you were to shoot an M-16, it would subtract 3 rounds instead of only 1.  I know that this probably could have been accomplished with events, but I wanted a script based solution ;).  I may tweak this a bit further in the future, when I learn more about Ruby :S.

I'm an experienced programmer, but have NO prior experience with ruby.  That's why I posted that question, I was hoping that there would be a way already programmed into the system...  If I work on this later and come up with a solution I'll post the code.

Cody64

Ok, I didn't want to spam the boards with new topics so I'm going to post another problem I have in this thread...

I've been working on spells all day, and custom spell sprites.  The problme I'm having right now is with creating a "beam" sprite.  The Blizz-ABS User Manual says this about the subject:

QuoteBeam skills use a
special type of spriteset. Only the image of the beam facing down is needed, Blizz-ABS will
create rotate the image when necessary. If no image exists, Blizz-ABS built-in default beam
image will be used.

I've tried doing what this says, and have had no success.  My beam always ends up in screwed up positions and is always too short, and never looks right like the "default" blizz-abs beam...  I'll be the first to admit that I'm a complete noob at making sprites, so I'm most likely not setting it up correctly...  If someone could show me an example of what a "Beam Sprite" should look like, I think I'll be able to edit mine correctly and make it work. 

Blizzard

Right, I haven't released the version of CoSLAL which uses a beam sprite. Here's the one I use.

Spoiler: ShowHide

BTW, I'll add respawning animations in v1.99.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Cody64

Thanks, that will help a lot :)

QuoteBTW, I'll add respawning animations in v1.99.

That'll be great  8)!