2-Week RPG Jam - Signups - Cancelled

Started by G_G, October 07, 2013, 12:22:21 am

Previous topic - Next topic

G_G

October 07, 2013, 12:22:21 am Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 10:42:06 am by gameus
2-Week RPG Jam

About

This is a contest in RPG Maker (any edition) with real prizes. Three winners will be able to choose from three games that are gifted through Steam. Contestants will have two weeks to make the best game in RPG Maker they can, with restrictions and guidelines to follow. Anyone can enter and anyone can win. There will be a few select judges and note that they can be as strict as they please.

Why am I hosting this? Because I think it's high time we get the community active again, and this time with some motivation.

Prizes

There are three games. The top three games will get to choose one, and for obvious reasons, there will be no team signups. The prizes are

• Borderlands 2 - Missed out on the half off special, looking for new game

• Half Life Collection

• Final Fantasy VII

Winners will receive the game through Steam. First place gets first pick, second gets second pick, and third place gets the last game.

Rules & Guidelines

• Must use RPG Maker (any edition)

• No team signups

• RTP Styled graphics that match the engine you're using (XP RTP for XP, Ace RTP with Ace) (e.g. inquisitors tilesets wouldn't be allowed)

• The above rule is omitted for title screens, battlers, and windowskins

• Custom scripts are allowed

• Gameplay should have at least a good half hour of gameplay (not including random encounters)

• Credit must be given for all used resources and scripts, unless it's absolutely not possible

• Games must be sent to judges unencrypted and must be sent within 48 hours of the deadline

• All games submitted will be released to the public, encrypted of course

• Some sort of progress must be posted every few days or so. I'm requiring that each contestant post at least three different times posting progress/screenshots

Judging Points

Each game will be judged in four categories. Each category a scale of 1-10. After each judge calculates the score, your final score will be an average. The points will then be added up and winners will be judged by highest score. Max possible points 40 and minimum would be 4.

Gameplay
How fun is the gameplay? This can include dungeons, puzzles, battles, etc... Gameplay should advance pretty smoothly and shouldn't drag on and feel repetitive. Your game will be judged around these points.

Story
Story is pretty important. Players should feel apart of the story, possibly suspenseful or exciting. Twists and turns and unexpected surprises. The story needs to keep the players playing.

Design
This includes map, menu, and title screens. How far did you go to avoid the default menu look? How far did you go to customize it and make it look unique and out of the ordinary.

Effort
Judges will be able to tell how much effort was put into the game by judging the previous three categories and playing through the entire game. This is more based on all categories as a whole, so work hard.

Game Guidelines

I am looking for a particular kind of game. I want some good old fashioned JRPG driven games with turn based battles and random encounters and puzzles and dungeons and the whatnot.

• I'm looking for a good JRPG driven game, turn based battles, puzzles, random encounters, ya know, the sorts

• Turn based battle system only. Do whatever you want to make it pretty or more functional. (Sorry BABS fans)

• A decent story with a plot, hero, villian, and a goal in mind.

• Will be updated as I think of more

Deadlines

October 8th: Signup Start
October 15th: Signup End
October 30th: Game Must Be Submitted
November 6th: Judging Results will Be Posted

Signups

All you gotta do is post here saying you want to signup. If you're interested in being a judge, let me know, though I'll probably only select a few judges and I'll probably be very choosy on who judges.

• Colonel Blinx

• DigitalSoul

• Zexion

• Neoend

Judges

• gameus

• Blizzard

• KK20

Last Notes

If the topic does not get enough contestants the contest will close. I'm aiming for an absolute minimum of five people, but I would like more. As the contest host I have the right to cancel it at anytime. The aim of this contest is to jumpstart the community for a bit. So come on people! Join in! :)

Spaceman McConaughey

I'M IN WHEN SIGNUPS START I SIGN UP

PhoenixFire

I too am interested in this. I sign up as of tomorrow as well..
Quote from: Subsonic_Noise on July 01, 2011, 02:42:19 amNext off, how to create a first person shooter using microsoft excel.

Quote from: Zeriab on September 09, 2011, 02:58:58 pm<Remember when computers had turbo buttons?

KK20

Since I don't have Steam (that KK20 account is a lie!), I'd be willing to judge if no one else requests.

Other Projects
RPG Maker XP Ace  Upgrade RMXP to RMVXA performance!
XPA Tilemap  Tilemap rewrite with many features, including custom resolution!

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: 8310-1917-5318
Discord: KK20 Tyler#8901

Join the CP Discord Server!

Zexion

G_G

October 08, 2013, 07:20:42 pm #5 Last Edit: October 08, 2013, 09:23:53 pm by gameus
Sweet. Two more contestants to make this thing not get cancelled. :)

EDIT: Until further notice, Borderlands 2 is no longer a prize. I missed out on the half off special. :/ In the meantime, I'll find a different game.

Neoend

Ok I think I'm gonna get in on this!
Hey! if you like webcomics and other fun distractions check out my site:
www.laforix.com

G_G

Come on guys! It's already the 11th here. 15th is the last day to signup, come on! There are actual prizes here. :3 Just need one more person.

G_G

I guess no one really wanted to do this then. ._____________. Alrighty, closing thread. I'll just start doing Chaos Project Giveaways then.