Refresh My Memory Please?

Started by PortableItPLZ, October 17, 2013, 10:11:19 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

PortableItPLZ

Look, I'm not a "talented" human being; I know jack snot about programming or editing or really anything that takes some serious brain power. But all and all, I do have a neverending imagination with hundreds upon thousands of ideas swarming around to the point that brain damage could happen at any moment.

That being said, I just need some quick "insight" or "preview" of these ideas:

-Use RPGmaker to make a Platformer?
-What are the requirements for adding your own music, sprites, etc? (sizes, file types, etc)

Currently, I'm using RPG Maker VX Ace (RMVXA?) and I'm having minor challenges when it comes to designing a game. More or less, I have a few ideas lurking around; but then I am also curious if you can do these kind of things... such as:

-Use a normal photo as a map (instead of tiles)?

Like for example... say I wanted to make an RPG about the internet or something. Make it so that people can literally walk their character along a webpage set as the map instead of tiles.

Overall, I just need to know what exactly can I and can't I do with RPGmaker.

Like, I know there is a lot I can do... but what exactly CAN'T I do?

Can I make a racing game? (obviously not 3D)
Can I make a card game like Yugioh or Magic?

Like... what is the heads up on this; cause I am kind of attempting to splash out my ideas into one giant game of absolute WTF moments.
Bleeding Cross (by Lagoon-Sadnes) on Deviantart

PortableItPLZ

Mostly, I just want to know the size requirements for custom:

-Title Screen background
-Battle Background
-Sprites & Faces

So yeah... cause every time I find a custom made sprite online, it doesn't fit the box so it cuts off the sprite and looks weird.

R.A.V.S.O

Well given that the engine itself bears "RPG" in the name, it sorta gives you more or less of an idea of what you can and cannot do,

RPGs? that's a fact, Active Battle systems similar to those of Zelda or Seiken Densetsu, with the right scripts, indeed possible,
platformers? I've seen some in VX, card-games? haven't seen one.

racing games? that's a tough one... afaik it MIGHT be possible, but don't expect it to run or appear as smooth as another racing game

ok now...
using an image as a tileset? of course, all you need to do is change it's size so it fits into the tileset template then upload it into the
tilesets folder. although you might have trouble when giving properties to such a tileset.

if the image does not fit (too large or small) what I usually do is export one of the default images that RPG-MAKER comes with
(tileset, character, animation, whatever you need) and then paste the image on top so I can use the borders as a way to find the right
size, once that's done I just import it to the folder I need.

just take note that sometimes resizing something might make it appear distorted, so use it as you see fit.

Personality Test results
Spoiler: ShowHide

"Life is unfair, so make it unfair in your favor" -Sesilou

G_G

The question with using pictures as maps is definitely possibly. You just have to import them as parallaxes and then draw impassable tiles over the spots they can't walk on. As for importing custom music, simple try to import files, it'll tell you what kind of formats work.

As for sprites and tilesets, just take a look at the RTP and look how it works. That's pretty much the standard.

As for making a card game, it can be evented, but it could be a bit difficult. This would definitely be easier with programming knowledge. Same with racing games. Anything is definitely possible in the engine itself, it's just a matter of knowing how to. Programming is definitely a key here though.

EDIT:

Title screens can be any size
Battle backs can be any size
Sprites can be any size, however, Ace's sprite system works like spritesets, if you just want one character in it, you need to use '$' in it's filename.

PortableItPLZ

:<_<: Well darn, guess that settles it. Back to the drawing board.

Heretic86

Not necessarily.

Enterbrain also makes an Action Game Maker for Platforming types of Games.  If that is your style, you may be better off using Action Game Maker instead of RPG maker.  Depends on the type of game you want to make.

I focus mostly on RPG Maker because that is what I enjoy the most.  And many of us write Scripts that expand what the game can do.  You may have absolutely no idea how much RPG Maker can be expanded by Scripts unless you start just looking at how many of our scripts enhance the engine in some way.  A good comparison would be the Default Engine vs Blizz-ABS, which gives you that Zelda type of gameplay feel.

---

Note: Instead of double posting, edit your last post.  It is more acceptable if your thread has not been replied to, pushed off of the front page, and you've waited at least 24 hours before a single thread bump is allowed.  Replying to your own posts tends to upset the Mods and Admins.  These forums arent that busy, but someone will notice your topics.  Im active in the middle of the night for example so you might have to wait until the next day before I reply.  Be patient.  We will respond.
Current Scripts:
Heretic's Moving Platforms

Current Demos:
Collection of Art and 100% Compatible Scripts

(Script Demos are all still available in the Collection link above.  I lost some individual demos due to a server crash.)

Blizzard

Lol, I already mentioned multiposting in another thread.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.