Attempting to go as portable as possible

Started by EntropyUSB, October 18, 2013, 09:26:32 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

EntropyUSB

So, members of chaos-project; it has come to my attention that there are so many portable programs to use and find on the internet, it is nearly impossible to decide which ones are the best for the business and which ones will only slow me down.

So far, even the browser I am using isn't Mozilla, IE, or Chrome; it is called "TheWorldBrowser".

Anyways, I have a simple but rather "open" request from anyone and everyone on here...

List for me your top favorite portable programs (programs that run COMPLETELY from the USB/Flash Drive), and what they do or what they are for.

At this time, I am currently looking for:

=Anti-Virus/Anti-Malware
=Web Browsers
=VPNs (Virtual Private Network)
=Unlockers
=Compressors/Decompressors
=Programs like RPGmaker & Game Editor
=Cleaners (that don't need admin rights or anything)

Pretty much, my goal is to run everything from my flash drive without having the hassle of dealing with admin rights and other nonsense.

So, without further adu/ado; begin listing programs that are PORTABLE and what they do or what they are for.

The best of the best and maybe even the 2nd best...
Spoiler: ShowHide

WhiteRose

I really like portable apps as well. Even though I have admin rights, I just like the "easy clean up" and being able to move things between computers easily. CCleaner has a portable version that works very well. As for compressors, I use 7zip Portable. The anti-malware I always use is Malwarebytes, but I'm not sure if there is a portable version; I don't think so, but it would be nice.

G_G

EntropyUSB

Spoiler: ShowHide

G_G

Quote from: EntropyUSB on October 19, 2013, 08:51:30 am
Quote from: gameus on October 18, 2013, 11:24:00 pm
http://portableapps.com/

And so on and so forth, but I always enjoy a good honest opinion directly to see what others prefer the most.

Oh, you wanted an opinion attached to the site?

The site provides excellent programs that are all portable and require no install other than a self-extracting exe. There's plenty of programs for anyone to use, tools, games, utilities. It's really a great site with a cool community.

PhoenixFire

Quote from: EntropyUSB on October 19, 2013, 08:51:30 am
And so on and so forth, but I always enjoy a good honest opinion directly to see what others prefer the most.

You want opinions about the websites, or the individual apps? If you're looking for opinions about portable apps, I should probably point out that although some of us on this site may have used some portable apps at some point, I don't think any of us have ever had the need to make almost everything on our computer portable. I mean, what's the point of a portable anti-virus? Even if you're not the computer admin, whomever is should have enough sense to put anti-virus on their computer. As to browsers; why can't you use the pre-installed one? VPNs? I'm not sure, but I would assume you need admin rights for that regardless, as you're changing the computers network settings..

The more I look at your list, the more I wonder WHY? It seems like you're genuinely interested in portable apps, but you don't really seem to have a reason for most of these. Maybe you should clarify?
Quote from: Subsonic_Noise on July 01, 2011, 02:42:19 amNext off, how to create a first person shooter using microsoft excel.

Quote from: Zeriab on September 09, 2011, 02:58:58 pm<Remember when computers had turbo buttons?